Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Ideas on fixing intermittent stutter lag

I have noticed something lately, that is more annoying than a problem. I will notice that I'm having what I can only describe as stutter lag while walking around. I created a quick video to demonstrate what it looks like. https://vimeo.com/329934496

Here are my PC specs:

• Intel i5-4670 3.4GHz
    • Radeon RX 480 Graphics
    • Games run on Samsung 840 PRO SSD
    • Dell U3415 Wide 3440 x 1440 Monitor (60hz)

Video card drivers are up to date. I don't notice any FPS drops, and in fact, it hovers around 89-100 FPS while this happens. No addons are enabled and just the plan interface is being used.

(Fixed the link again - Chazus)
    Last edited by chazus; 2019-04-12 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Video link

10+ Year Old Account
    Video doesn't work, just fyi.

Quick question, are you running Netflix by chance?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Video doesn't work, just fyi.

Quick question, are you running Netflix by chance?
    Thanks for letting me know about the video. I fixed it now and hopefully it works.

No, I'm not running Netflix.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    I fixed it now and hopefully it works.
    Nope! 10 characters

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I'm not running Netflix.
    That's the exact issue (from the video) I was having running netflix on Chrome video.. Do you have other programs running? Chrome? Other video?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

have you tried disabling mods at all? my mage (specifically my mage, no other characters) was having lag similar to that, and for about half a second any time i looted anything. turns out it was altoholic, and just turning it off and on fixed it.

it could very well be an out of date mod

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's the exact issue (from the video) I was having running netflix on Chrome video.. Do you have other programs running? Chrome? Other video?
    Negative. I have at one time or another, had Firefox running. I get the stutter lag from time to time with nothing running but WoW.

Also, all addons are disabled in that video.

try turning of QoS packet scheduler in your internet adapter settings

also if its not internet lag and its FPS you can troubleshoot by doing selective startup and disabling all none-windows programs at launch to see if somethings messing it up

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    try turning of QoS packet scheduler in your internet adapter settings

also if its not internet lag and its FPS you can troubleshoot by doing selective startup and disabling all none-windows programs at launch to see if somethings messing it up
    Turned off QoS, with no change in behavior.

The only thing that starts up when windows loads is my graphics and keyboard/mouse software. Everything else is now disabled. No change in behavior.

I also failed to mention in my original post, this system as 32GB of memory installed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Is vsync enabled in game or your graphics card settings?

is the temps on your vc and cpu in check?

Check your vsync settings, doesn't look like internet lag.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happens to me when Windows suddenly decides to do things in the background that where scheduled like a defrag, a malware scan or an update. Check task manager and resource monitor for disk and network activity.

vsync in game is disabled. AMD replaced vsync with free sync or some such shit. Either way, that is also disabled.

My game is on a different HD than the OS is on. Disk activity is nothing until I actually launch something and play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Look at the logs in Event Viewer. Or if you really want to get to the bottom of it download some tools from Sysinternals.

10+ Year Old Account
    That isn't lag but something that's interrupting the system. Like a background program or something. Maybe Windows update is running? Maybe antivirus is running? How are the temps on your CPU?

I will have to review the event viewer logs. This problem, as the title suggests, is intermittent. Usually after logging in and for a few minutes. It also happens randomly while out and about in the world. I will also have to use Sysinternals because nothing is running. Maybe something hidden is, who knows. I think temperatures look good, but here are some screenshots that I won't put into the post because I think that will make the format ugly:

After rebooting and letting computer sit for a minute or two:

Logged into WoW and moving around with stutter lag:

Ran through a timewalking dungeon and this is after:

10+ Year Old Account
    This problem, as the title suggests, is intermittent. Usually after logging in and for a few minutes. It also happens randomly while out and about in the world.
    Suggests something in Windows Task Scheduler is kicking in via an idle trigger or whatever and Windows thinks it's idle while you're in the game.

15+ Year Old Account
    What is your power plan set on? Turn it to high performance and like others suggested, check what is running in the background.

10+ Year Old Account
    How married are you to that Windows installation? If all else fails I would reinstall it. Would be easier to fix it that way than to hunt down the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    What is your power plan set on? Turn it to high performance and like others suggested, check what is running in the background.
    Power plan is set to Ultimate Performance plan.

I could also reinstall Windows, but I'm not at that point yet. It's not nagging enough to warrant doing that, just yet. There should not be anything running in the background out of the ordinary. As previous suggestions, I checked that.

Windows Task Scheduler didn't have anything that stood out to me.