Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    To chime in about the raiding and 60 fps, i can play wow on ultra (on the slider settings, it's 7 but a lot of things are turned to max and i have shadows set to LOW i just don't like them, so it's a custom 7 i guess? a bit more than 7 is some cases but shadows are low). I can manage 100+fps in citys like The zandalari place and org, dungeons are 100+fps, but raids... Raids are very very sketchy.

first three weeks of the new raid (current raid) i would have random fps day to day, first week horrible fps (single digits in some fights) in 8 of the bosses or so but then next week them same bosses were good fps, the next week back to terrible, Was not my hardware, many people in my guild/friends guilds has this and apparently after speaking to people months later it was caused by the current "azerite traits" bugging.

Wows raiding scene performance is just very volatile i.m.o, I recently logged on wow a week or so ago to help a mate and did the current raid, the single digit buggy fps was fixed it seemed but still felt way too choppy for my hardware, Some bosses were 20-30fps, some were 50fps+

For the most part you should expect below 60 fps in raids, it isn't that you wont see 60fps during an entire raid fight, but you definitely wont have 60 average fps and during bloodlust/heroism your fps will definitely tank, the more people the worse this will be, wow is currently 20 only for mythic, classic has 40? Like i said in your other thread, no one can say for sure how classic is going to be when it launches, yes it's advertised as a classic reboot but just how close to classic are we talking in terms of system requirements/performance.

edit:

Upgrading your CPU will not help much at all for raiding in wow, in the sense of maintaining steady fps, It should reduce the lowest FPS drop but not by much, I've gone through several CPU's whilst raiding in wow the last one being a i7 6700k 4600mhz -> i7 9700k 5000mhz (while raiding), barely saw any different in my raiding time honestly. the max fps was obviously higher but the drops were still as awful.
    Last edited by TwentyTwelve; 2019-04-07 at 03:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TwentyTwelve View Post
    To chime in about the raiding and 60 fps, i can play wow on ultra (on the slider settings, it's 7 but a lot of things are turned to max and i have shadows set to LOW i just don't like them, so it's a custom 7 i guess? a bit more than 7 is some cases but shadows are low). I can manage 100+fps in citys like The zandalari place and org, dungeons are 100+fps, but raids... Raids are very very sketchy.

first three weeks of the new raid (current raid) i would have random fps day to day, first week horrible fps (single digits in some fights) in 8 of the bosses or so but then next week them same bosses were good fps, the next week back to terrible, Was not my hardware, many people in my guild/friends guilds has this and apparently after speaking to people months later it was caused by the current "azerite traits" bugging.

Wows raiding scene performance is just very volatile i.m.o, I recently logged on wow a week or so ago to help a mate and did the current raid, the single digit buggy fps was fixed it seemed but still felt way too choppy for my hardware, Some bosses were 20-30fps, some were 50fps+

For the most part you should expect below 60 fps in raids, it isn't that you wont see 60fps during an entire raid fight, but you definitely wont have 60 average fps and during bloodlust/heroism your fps will definitely tank, the more people the worse this will be, wow is currently 20 only for mythic, classic has 40? Like i said in your other thread, no one can say for sure how classic is going to be when it launches, yes it's advertised as a classic reboot but just how close to classic are we talking in terms of system requirements/performance.

edit:

Upgrading your CPU will not help much at all for raiding in wow, in the sense of maintaining steady fps, It should reduce the lowest FPS drop but not by much, I've gone through several CPU's whilst raiding in wow the last one being a i7 6700k 4600mhz -> i7 9700k 5000mhz (while raiding), barely saw any different in my raiding time honestly. the max fps was obviously higher but the drops were still as awful.
    The main thing about classic is that There is No Azerite BS, no Bloodlust, and 40 people yes, but most are casting the same 1 spell over and over again there isnt a whole lot of animation and bosses were pretty basic so I am hoping that I should be good on Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    The main thing about classic is that There is No Azerite BS, no Bloodlust, and 40 people yes, but most are casting the same 1 spell over and over again there isnt a whole lot of animation and bosses were pretty basic so I am hoping that I should be good on Classic.
    The azerite thing wasn't to say it's causing a massive strain on hardware, it was more to say how buggy raiding / the game can be, hence "Volatile".

Didn't realize classic didn't have lust, lust really impacts performance due to the increase in spells going out and although it's "Basic" 40 people all casting spells will likely have a massive impact on fps.

But again, this doesn't really change anything, if classic does suffer from the engine, no money you throw at the pc will help you, the recommended build should be more than fine for your needs but if you do happen to have fps issues during raids, it likely isn't just you.

Thanks for all the advise everyone, Ill go with the recommended build and see how it goes? one question I have is that in order to upgrade I will probably need a larger power supply correct? and to do this will require a total disassembly of the PC, should I just go ahead and upgrade it now? to save time/ effort later?

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for all the advise everyone, Ill go with the recommended build and see how it goes? one question I have is that in order to upgrade I will probably need a larger power supply correct? and to do this will require a total disassembly of the PC, should I just go ahead and upgrade it now? to save time/ effort later?
    500W is fine. The link with better parts I sent even includes a 450W unit. The only reason you'd need a larger one is if you plan on adding more than 1 graphics card, or you cram it too full of drives that the one you have doesn't have enough connectors

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    500W is fine. The link with better parts I sent even includes a 450W unit. The only reason you'd need a larger one is if you plan on adding more than 1 graphics card, or you cram it too full of drives that the one you have doesn't have enough connectors
    Or a higher-end GPU with intent to overclock. A 2080 or 2080Ti that is overclocked can draw a fair bit of juice, but even then, 600W would be plenty.

I could stretch to $600.00, but Id need to be able to get windows somehow so if it can be found cheaper or can be reused more times from another PC?
    Just borrow a friends Windows 10 disc and then KMSPico it to remove the "Activate Windows"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Or a higher-end GPU with intent to overclock. A 2080 or 2080Ti that is overclocked can draw a fair bit of juice, but even then, 600W would be plenty.
    Yeah, that's true. Just figured the chance he'd be upgrading to a 700/1200 USD gpu was so miniscule it wouldn't be worth mentioning, considering his entire build is worth less than that
    Quote Originally Posted by Laqweeta View Post
    Just borrow a friends Windows 10 disc and then KMSPico it to remove the "Activate Windows"
    Don't use that. Not only is it piracy, from what I can find it uses a backdoor that then other viruses can use to exploit your system.

Besides, it's really cheap to by a legit win10 license

To add to the thread in case it hasn't been said but u can use windows 10 for free, you just deal with a water marker.

So just download it from MS and use it for free until u got the spare cash to buy a key.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Yeah, that's true. Just figured the chance he'd be upgrading to a 700/1200 USD gpu was so miniscule it wouldn't be worth mentioning, considering his entire build is worth less than that

Don't use that. Not only is it piracy, from what I can find it uses a backdoor that then other viruses can use to exploit your system.

Besides, it's really cheap to by a legit win10 license
    Lol.

If you download the wrong one, of course it’s a virus. The only legit one is from my digital life forums. 2 years so far and not a single problem.

So after deciding to build this over the next few months and based on recommendations from posters in this thread I came up with this what are everyone's thoughts?
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xQg6s

again my only real concern is being able to play most games at 50-60fps I don't mind dropping graphic settings to do this just looking for guidance.

10+ Year Old Account
    So after deciding to build this over the next few months and based on recommendations from posters in this thread I came up with this what are everyone's thoughts?

again my only real concern is being able to play most games at 50-60fps I don't mind dropping graphic settings to do this just looking for guidance.
    Drop the cooler, the 2600x comes with the Wraith Spire, which is a step down from the Wraith Max, but will be more than enough for stock usage (and even light overclocking if you're into that).

Id also drop the RX 580 in favoe of the GTX 1660; its quite a bit faster and available for 219.

Thanks for the recommendations

10+ Year Old Account
    Id also drop the RX 580 in favoe of the GTX 1660; its quite a bit faster and available for 219.
    It's around 15% more expensive for 15% more performance. Performance he says he doesn't really need

no Bloodlust,
    wot?

I assure you, Bloodlust was a thing.

- - - Updated - - -

It's around 15% more expensive for 15% more performance. Performance he says he doesn't really need
    Uhh..

no?

the RX 580 he's chosen is 209$.

The GTX 1660 is 219$. Thats not 15%.

10+ Year Old Account

again my only real concern is being able to play most games at 50-60fps I don't mind dropping graphics settings to do this just looking for guidance.
    I would drop the CPU cooler. Stock cooling from AMD is more than enough for what you have in mind.
    I am debating whether you should take RX 580 or GTX 1660. The GTX 1660 is really cheap and does perform quite good. But the RX 580 is cheaper.
    I would properly remove the CPU cooler and then spend the excess money towards the GTX 1660.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    wot?

- - - Updated - - -

Uhh..

no?

It was 190. when I made the post.
    And BL wasn't a thing in classic. It was introduced in TBC

wot?

- - - Updated - - -

Uhh..

no?

Bloodlust didn't come until BC. And I have found some parts locally so I appreciate all the advice and will be using the PSU recommended here and a 500GB SSD.

- - - Updated - - -

Going with a hybrid between the 2 systems recommended with a better graphics card and very upgrade-able Mother board and Case so I can basically do whatever I want in the future.

It was 190. when I made the post.
    And BL wasn't a thing in classic. It was introduced in TBC
    So I got my PC up and running and have a few questions about Memory and speeds and such I have 2X4GB DDR3 1600 sticks since they came with my Motherboard. What I was wondering is what speeds and brands are decent can I roll with https://pcpartpicker.com/product/d7M...u300038g16-drg and be good or do I need one of the big name brands? Also How do I know if I need or can use DDR3 or 4?

- - - Updated - - -

my MOBO is ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 if that helps.