Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Rogues should have Gouge

It feels ridiculous to lose a button that has been my "4" keybind since I dinged level 6 on my first WoW character in early 2005, yet my character "forgot" this button. For PvP Rogues Gouge was without a doubt one of the absolute most interesting, iconic, and fun abilities about being a Rogue.

I miss everything about it. I miss the animation and sound. I miss that keybind and feel like I have a "phantom limb" where it used to reside.

And the PvP movement feels utterly terrible when I'm not even keeping awareness of the facing requirement in that way, such as running through someone and jumping while turning backwards and Gouging.

Without this button, Subtlety and Assassination honestly don't even feel like playing a Rogue to me. I realize the perspective of PvE players is likely different because Gouge wasn't nearly as useful and fundamental in that environment when you're just thinking about a damage rotation. But man it's been years since Legion and I am still frustrated about the way our class has been handled.
    Last edited by shoegazing; 2019-04-13 at 05:50 PM.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

I really wish they'd stop splitting the specs up so much. General utility spells/abilities should be baseline across all specs

Yeah gouge is a huge part of the rogue toolkit that feels empty without it.

People who dont understand its importance dont understand rogue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah and it was especially bad when we didn't even have blind there for a while. I guess gouge is a little less important now that nothing really has positional requirements but it was still nice for hitting the pause button on someone and getting some energy back or slowing down a second target trying to jump into the fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibbler View Post
    I really wish they'd stop splitting the specs up so much. General utility spells/abilities should be baseline across all specs
    Could not agree more, this is (IMO) a major issue with every class at the moment... The over-separation of specs that began in Legion will forever scar it as a bad expansion in my eyes.

The class/spec dynamic should be a whole package(the class) with the spec, well, specializing in a chunk of it and making that chunk better while retaining all of the base (like it was for the 12 years before Legion happened)... Right now They specialize in the chunk and throw away the rest and it feels awful.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Imagine if they removed druids ability to go into cat form when they played Balance or Resto.

#BringBackGouge

Loved it.

Imagine only frost mages have frost nova
    Dying could endanger your health!

Quote Originally Posted by Luhmina View Post
    Imagine only frost mages have frost nova
    Imagine only frost mages had cone of cold... oh, right.
    I really miss CoC on my fire mage. Now the only slow fire mage has is flamestrike - consuming Hot Streak!, doing awful damage and slowing for a whopping 20%.

Hunter should be only a ranged class.
    DPS classes shouldn't be able to heal.
    HEAL classes shouldnt be able to do damage.

Yeah there are things in this game which I can't understand.

Rogue has bigger fish to fry imo. It's been awful in pvp for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathwirt View Post
    Yeah and it was especially bad when we didn't even have blind there for a while. I guess gouge is a little less important now that nothing really has positional requirements but it was still nice for hitting the pause button on someone and getting some energy back or slowing down a second target trying to jump into the fight.

Bro...Gouge into Bandage is the premiere tactic for winning fights in classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lodravel View Post
    I really miss CoC on my fire mage. Now the only slow fire mage has is flamestrike - consuming Hot Streak!, doing awful damage and slowing for a whopping 20%.
    Doesn't Dragon's Breath sort of fill the slot CoC used to fill for fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post
    Not at all. DB CCs for a few seconds and is on a 20 sec cd, I believe. CoC allowed you some breathing room from melee as well as the possibility of kiting groups of mobs when leveling. Frost Nova and DB just don't feel sufficient if you want to take on a huge amount of mobs, especially if you still remember CoC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wushootaki View Post

One is AoE 70% slow, other is disorientation CC that breaks on damage. No, it doesn't
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

The whole concept of the rogue class for me is combining abilities in a particular order for an outcome that is greater than the sum of its parts. Gouge was a huge part of that for me. Hope they bring it back one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Imagine if they removed druids ability to go into cat form when they played Balance or Resto.
    They removed everything but shred and prowl if you're not into feral affinity. Bear has threash and growl if you're not into guardian affinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    One is AoE 70% slow, other is disorientation CC that breaks on damage. No, it doesn't
    Both are used for gaining distance on your enemy. CoC target is snared for same duration that the Disorient lasts. If its a melee target with mobility, they will be on you despite snare anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaelthon
    do i wanting my cat come the expansion due to signifying a reroll fresh scratch the night elf mage?

The thing is, why does outlaw has gouge but the other two don't?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lodravel View Post
    I miss when CoC actually did respectable damage... hits like a tickle now.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

People would complain too much sadly, many think rogues are broken right now. But the only way gouge comes back is if other classes get stuff back. Sadly, even after all the pruning, rogues still have one of the largest toolkits in the game.