Anyone using a Keypad...

...That's not a Razer or Logitech G13?

I use a Laptop for all gaming these days because I spend more time on the road than I do at home. Recently downsized from an Acer Predator 17 to an MSI GS65 and not 100% sold on continuing to game with the built in keyboard.

No point getting a full size mechanical as that defeats the purpose of downsizing my Laptop... i.e. it wont fit in my new bag!

Looking into Keypads for gaming, the choices seem to be an overpriced Razer with Thumb-pad I wont use, a used G13 for even more money, or an unknown brand out of China.

Suggestions?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want something to fit in your bag, you could try getting a 60% keyboard like this: https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop..._detail&p=4322

Outside of Logitech and Razer, no "known" brands are making keypads like you want. At least not ones that I know of, it's a fairly niche market

Yea have been considering a 60% or even TKL as the next best solution... especially since they're cheaper than the likes of a Razer Keypad.
    Holding out hope a few here have some feedback on the unknown brands, some of them have decent Amazon reviews, but have learned not to trust those so much.

Keypads are about as niche as my gaming situation. Various hotel rooms in different countries, some of which don't even have desks so I setup on the bedside table! Actually raided in the lobby one evening. Got a few odd stares

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakara View Post
    Yea have been considering a 60% or even TKL as the next best solution... especially since they're cheaper than the likes of a Razer Keypad.
    Holding out hope a few here have some feedback on the unknown brands, some of them have decent Amazon reviews, but have learned not to trust those so much.

Keypads are about as niche as my gaming situation. Various hotel rooms in different countries, some of which don't even have desks so I setup on the bedside table! Actually raided in the lobby one evening. Got a few odd stares
    That is certainly pretty niche.. Best of luck in finding something that fits your needs.

Just a quick comment on the 60% keyboards: They're quite hard to get used to, took me a month or so. And even now a year or so later I'm still trying to press the arrow keys

Yea anything new takes some time to get used to. Part of the reason I'm intrigued by some of the no brand keypads is they're basically just the WASD portion of a standard keyboard cut off.

Can't think of any games where I use the arrow keys, it's always mouse + WASD. Use an MMO mouse so that reduces my keybinds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea anything new takes some time to get used to. Part of the reason I'm intrigued by some of the no brand keypads is they're basically just the WASD portion of a standard keyboard cut off.

Can't think of any games where I use the arrow keys, it's always mouse + WASD. Use an MMO mouse so that reduces my keybinds.
    People who are left-handed usually use the arrow keys instead of WASD. Where people who are right-handed use WASD.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    People who are left-handed usually use the arrow keys instead of WASD. Where people who are right-handed use WASD.
    I find this fascinating. I'm right handed for writing, but I do everything else as if I'm left handed. I use a knife with my left hand for cutting food, wear my watch on my right wrist and use the arrow keys for gaming, but use a razer naga as well.

I just find it amusing that you said that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    Of course, so obvious yet didn't even occur to me

Would something like this do it?

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-falco...assembled.html

(there's a DIY version too if you wish to save a few bucks)

Or this, if you can get over the PUBG keys..

http://www.koolertron.com/koolertron...ing-p-818.html

^The pooping key (C) is awesome though
    Last edited by diarx; 2019-04-15 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by diarx View Post
    Would something like this do it?

http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-falco...assembled.html

(there's a DIY version too if you wish to save a few bucks)

Or this, if you can get over the PUBG keys..

http://www.koolertron.com/koolertron...ing-p-818.html

^The pooping key (C) is awesome though
    That Max Keypad actually looks really good, cheers.

The Koolertron does come in non PUBG versions aswell, but it's a hefty price tag.

10+ Year Old Account

Oh, I don't use it for games either, but for other situations it's nice to have arrow keys, like when rummaging around folders, etc. It's nice to do without the mouse I find, but it needs the arrow keys.

If you don't mind a little soldering Keeb.io has the Iris,Levinson,Nyquist,and Viterbi split keyboards,half of one of those would a great keypad,and if you want a really big keypad you could use half a BFO-9000,I use my BFO-9000 to game and it's great,Keeb.io does offer a proper sandwich case now,so you wouldn't have to custom like mine-

The left half by itself would make a great keypad.

Yea I’ve seen a few split keyboard options, but are generally more expensive and I’d never use the other half.

Decided to take a punt on a well reviewed budget brand on Amazon, Sade One handed iirc... cost about $20. Should have it next week. Given I’ve never used a Keypad before thought I should see how I like the setup before spending decent money on one.

-edit-

This one:
    https://www.amazon.com/keyboard-One-.../dp/B07D6NTPWH