Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Television Zombie Comparison & "Practical" Survivability

Discussion on the "practical" survivability in two zombie apocalypse shows. I thought it would make for a fun discussion.

I was watching the Netflix show Black Summer (really enjoyed it too) and discovered afterwards that it's a world spin off from Z Nation, but instead of 3 years after the apocalypse it occurs when the break out first happens and society is starting to collapse. In the show, the zombies can run and climb (like climb up to the roof of a school bus), making safety that much more difficult.

In contract, the zombies in The Walking Dead, are slow movers, only shuffling along and unable to climb (although they can apparently go up steps, like in a house).

I got to thinking, and it occurs to me that survival (and possible societal recovery) in the Z Nation world is all but impossible. The running and jumping and climbing zombies are so FAST you can't really get away if you're caught in the open. Finding safety and sanctuary and a place to build a fort/compound/etc would be highly unlikely, with obvious but very few exceptions.

In the Walking Dead, you can get away from any zombie by just walking. You could outpace them and find shelter without worrying about being caught, and even climbing on the roof of a car will keep you safe if you need a rest. If you make a mistake you can recover, because of the speed factor, whereas you cannot in the Z Nation "world".

My point here is that it just doesn't seem possible to survive at all in the Z Nation world. Whereas TWD one does.
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-04-15 at 06:16 PM.

No matter if they run or climb, if they can't swim you can survive in both scenarios. Go on a boat, island etc

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Discussion on the "practical" survivability in two zombie apocalypse shows. I thought it would make for a fun discussion.

I was watching the Netflix show Black Summer (really enjoyed it too) and discovered afterwards that it's a world spin off from Z Nation, but instead of 3 years after the apocalypse it occurs when the break out first happens and society is starting to collapse. In the show, the zombies can run and climb (like climb up to the roof of a school bus), making safety that much more difficult.

In contract, the zombies in The Walking Dead, are slow movers, only shuffling along and unable to climb (although they can apparently go up steps, like in a house).

I got to thinking, and it occurs to me that survival (and possible societal recovery) in the Z Nation world is all but impossible. The running and jumping and climbing zombies are so FAST you can't really get away if you're caught in the open. Finding safety and sanctuary and a place to build a fort/compound/etc would be highly unlikely, with obvious but very few exceptions.

In the Walking Dead, you can get away from any zombie by just walking. You could outpace them and find shelter without worrying about being caught, and even climbing on the roof of a car will keep you safe if you need a rest. If you make a mistake you can recover, because of the speed factor, whereas you cannot in the Z Nation "world".

My point here is that it just doesn't seem possible to survive at all in the Z Nation world. Whereas TWD one does.
    Left 4 Dead zombies would be much worse but survivable if you reached the water. But Necromorphs would end up wiping out all life on the planet within a day or two, all that juicy bio-mass to create a Brethren Moon or two.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Meh the two shows have many different aspects that can’t make erm realy comparable, the zombies in z nation are weird especially with that half zombie hybrid guy
    Hell the zombies are only the catalyst for trouble in series where everyone lack common sense, in theory A dozen or so people could easily clear a city by making enough noise to attract the zombies to the top of a skyscraper then have one guy stand on a ledge to lead the zombies to fall 60 some stories

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero3 View Post
    No matter if they run or climb, if they can't swim you can survive in both scenarios. Go on a boat, island etc
    Ah, yes - good point. Boat or island (can they not swim in Z Nation? I haven't seen that show and Black Summer didn't have any water scenes) would definitely work. Like Hawaii in World War Z (book, not that horrific "movie").

Walking dead hasn't really been about Zombies since season 2.

Zombies can still end up dragged ashore, so an island wont be any better than the mainland without proper surveillance of the coast. A boat near the coast however is a different story since they wont be able to climb aboard.

also OP, when dealing with zombies the rule of thumb is to avoid unnecessary contact.

You don't need to be swimming, just walk on the sea floor.
    World War Z (the book) depicted underwater zombies and seashores as the most nightmarish of places to live since a zombie could pop out of the waves literally at any time.
    Often in hordes since the sea currents tend to cluster them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Yes, I think a company should be legally allowed to refuse to serve black people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Right now the left is fact based

What I do not get is how they sustain themselves. Ok, they ate other people at first and then what? how they sustain themselves? I cannot imagine a cell that does not need anything except sunlight to sustain itself. especially on a being in human size. they will die out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    What I do not get is how they sustain themselves. Ok, they ate other people at first and then what? how they sustain themselves? I cannot imagine a cell that does not need anything except sunlight to sustain itself. especially on a being in human size. they will die out eventually.
    That's why I liked 28 Weeks Later. The rage zombies were just starving to death

exactly, like if you are capable human being you can outlive the zombies. How long a zombie can live scientifically? It sounded so ridiculous to ask this by the way

10+ Year Old Account
    Zombies take over, and as you prepare to escape, you recognize one of the Zombies as Usain Bolt!

LOL
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    Walking dead hasn't really been about Zombies since season 2.
    Walking dead has never been about Zombies in either show of comic book form.

They don't need to swim.
    I remember the first Pirates of the Caribbean, and that captain telling his boys to take a walk. And that's all they have to do, keep walking. (an army of undead walking underwater)

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    They don't need to swim.
    I remember the first Pirates of the Caribbean, and that captain telling his boys to take a walk. And that's all they have to do, keep walking. (an army of undead walking underwater)
    Have you ever tried walking underwater? Human bodies float. Especially rotting bodies.

Again, zombies are conceptually silly.

The only "zombies" that make sense are the 28 Days Later style zombies. Or even the Last of Us type ones.

Zombies that are alive, with a functioning metabolism, capable of fast movement and retaining the ability to consciously navigate their environment.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2019-04-16 at 02:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Have you ever tried walking underwater? Human bodies float. Especially rotting bodies.
    I agree the issue is silly, but the idea is that millions of such bodies that can keep going will eventually be a threat.

If I ever would consider such a reality, I'd likely bend over and kiss my ass goodbye rather than live on such a world.

I have not seen Z Nation. Do they have enhanced strength? I would wager 3/4ths of this forum can't do a pull up, and thus can't get up a hanging fire escape or get over like a 6ft wall... so why would zombie versions of them be able to? Assuming they don't have enhanced strength and agility... I could get by for a while. I have multiple guns and 1000s of rounds... lead them into a hallway and gun them down, when they get close simply go into a door, shut and lock door, and chill. If they can break down doors/walls and leap 8ft into the air... then yeah, I'd be dead first day, who wouldn't be?

Quote Originally Posted by Malaky View Post
    You don't need to be swimming, just walk on the sea floor.
    World War Z (the book) depicted underwater zombies and seashores as the most nightmarish of places to live since a zombie could pop out of the waves literally at any time.
    Often in hordes since the sea currents tend to cluster them.
    Man, I really want to see a WWZ Series that's actually based on the book. Maybe now that the sequel to that god awful film is off the table...it can happen
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    This. In the real world, laws of thermodynamics exist. They would run out of energy eventually. Youd just have to hole up and outlast them.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post

I had actually never heard of Black Summer, I will have to go watch it now. Loved Z Nation. as for surviving in a zombie apocalypse I think it would be easier than most people think. let's say a large scale breakout happens in the USA next week. everyone knows how to kill a zombie, you disable it's head. everyone knows how the disease is passed on, via bites. the larger populated cities might be stuffed but the smaller towns/cities which can mount a defence using local citizens and cops would probably have a half decent chance of surviving. then if you manage to set up a chokepoint you could, theoretically, draw the zombies out of the large cities into the chokepoint and kill a solid number of them making taking back the larger cities a possibility. would require an absolute shitton of ammunition but you could do it.

or just wait them out. cause eventually their bodies will decay, all the flesh will drop off because of a lack of sustenance and, well, the laws of biology and then that will be the end of them.
    Last edited by MrLachyG; 2019-04-16 at 11:42 AM.