Page 5 of 182 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    $500 really isn't that shocking at all with how long the PS4 came out. Also, if the leak is true or even just total BS, if it has close to those stats even if the ones above aren't exact numbers, $500 seems totally fair. Plus, my PS4 has lasted me years, and as someone who is very bad with money, I have easily spent $500 on stupid things I didn't need like loot chests/cosmetics/etc.

All that needs to be said was said right here:

Of course, the source and claims seem dubious, but that's the rumor mill. You don't get to pick what rumors surface and get spread around the Internet.
    To which i respond...you absolutely do get to pick the rumours that get spread around the internet. You pick them by not spreading them on the internet....
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/04...se-date-specs/

$500 is a hard pill to sallow even if it has full BC, Really would depending the launch lineup. At the same time I wouldn't be surprised because they likely want to make it strong enough to last quite awhile (10years+).

I still expect a $400 bundle.
    Basically you are buying a small form factor computer 500 does not seem unreasonable for that.

The only reason to have a playstation is first party exclusives. Otherwise it's better to get a gaming PC as it'd be superior in every regard. Might be a little more expensive, but in the end better to pay a little more for a much smoother experience and the full functionality of a PC.

I paid $200 for my PS4 on black friday and only because the game I really want to play was announced as a ps4 exclusive. unless the next console is on sale or they have some amazing lineup of JRPGs on launch I will stick to my PS4

Quote Originally Posted by psiko74 View Post
    i think im going to just invested in a better computer with newest processor and video card.
    I did that last year and if my 8700k can last as long as my 2500k(I didn't even need to upgrade really...but wanted a new case and do a custom water loop...wasn't going to do that for a 2500k), I will be very happy...just upgrade the GPU in a another 2-3 years and my PC will be better than either console by miles. This will be the first generation that I don't get one of the consoles day one...unless HZD2 or GoW2 are PS5 exclusive I will just wait. My PC was a better investment.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaid View Post
    Basically you are buying a small form factor computer 500 does not seem unreasonable for that.
    Usually they're not quite as good as the top of the top of the line, but they get around that by basically using less because it isn't running a thousand bits and bobs at once like a full on computer.

Plus from a development standpoint having a single configuration to work with makes optimization significantly easier, you don't have to worry about your game dying with xyz processor/gpu/cpu combinations/drivers if there's only the one setup.

For reference, I spent more on my "gaming" laptop(still got it on a sweet sale) and I barely use it for gaming(because they put a really shitty touchpad in it that has palm protection that cannot be disabled without altering the registries and all the guides I can find for it are all outdated)
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Final warning, let's knock off the PC vs console discussion and the general discussion of PC specs. If you want to discuss PC builds and pricing, please use the the Computer forum or the Build/Upgrade help forum: https://www.mmo-champion.com/forums/290-Computer

Meh. I usually wait a year or two for the price to go down by a hundred bucks and for the bugs and kinks to get worked out. That red circle of death on the Xbox was not fun.

The initial pricing for the PS3 didn’t work so well for them during that generation. Xbox 360’s cheaper price and better online is what allowed them to pull ahead. Of course this 180’d for the PS4.

Making it more expensive is a mistake, regardless of how well tech is progressing. Unfortunately though, with how high quality the PS4’s exclusives have been I might still buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldielocks View Post
    The initial pricing for the PS3 didn’t work so well for them during that generation. Xbox 360’s cheaper price and better online is what allowed them to pull ahead. Of course this 180’d for the PS4.
    Not at the start, but by the end the PS3 had overtaken the 360 in total sales IIRC. Sony made up an immense amount of ground following their launch struggles with pricing.

Seriously, is nobody looking to the source of this "rumor"? It's a god-damned anonymous pastebin post. I get it, sometimes media use anonymous sources in reporting but...they know who the anonymous sources are and aren't using their names to protect the source. This is just a literal post from who knows who that doesn't even pass an initial smell test (selling them at $100 loss per unit at $500? Are they putting Turing cards in them or something?)

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Well the price of said systems is one of the key arguments in the debate of PC vs console.
    You know what isn’t? The value of exclusives.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Not at the start, but by the end the PS3 had overtaken the 360 in total sales IIRC. Sony made up an immense amount of ground following their launch struggles with pricing.
    All the sales numbers I've found have the Xbox at 84mil and the PS3 at 83.8 mil, so they didn't really overtake but they ended up super close.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    Which would be what sony would be trying to ride on if this pricing comes out true "we can price it high, we have the exclusives to back it up"

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    All the sales numbers I've found have the Xbox at 84mil and the PS3 at 83.8 mil, so they didn't really overtake but they ended up super close.
    Ah, PS3 overtook 360 for a bit but it looks like 360 retook that crown by a hair according to the most recent reporting. I stand corrected, but Sony still made up impressive ground after a pretty terrible launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the rumors of it being backwards compatible with PS1, 2, 3, and 4 then I’d be willing to drop $500 for it no problem. I have so many old games I often want to play again, but can’t be bothered to hook up all the other systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Ah, PS3 overtook 360 for a bit but it looks like 360 retook that crown by a hair according to the most recent reporting. I stand corrected, but Sony still made up impressive ground after a pretty terrible launch.
    They did, specially if you consider they were relevant for a shorter period of time. But they should know by now that 500+ pricing doesn't work in the console market. Everyone hated when the xbone was released at 500 bucks because they refused to not package the stupid kinect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    Aye Sony gets many great ones. Xbox doesn’t get shit though for good exclusives.

Quote Originally Posted by Beet View Post
    If the rumors of it being backwards compatible with PS1, 2, 3, and 4 then I’d be willing to drop $500 for it no problem. I have so many old games I often want to play again, but can’t be bothered to hook up all the other systems.
    Just emulate... complete legal if you own the games and you don't need some beefy system to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Just emulate... complete legal if you own the games and you don't need some beefy system to do it.
    I thought emulating PS3 and 4 games was like a bitch to do? Honestly I don’t know. I haven’t played any emulator games since my days on dialup with my Gameboy and SNES collection. Shit was fun though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    The switch wasn't. Only $300.

I just don't see the worth for these systems honestly. I mean, at least the switch is doing something new with being portable or a home gaming system.
    fair on the switch Nintendo's prices tend to be 100 lower than PS4/Xbox. The perk is exclusive titles, a number that seems to drop every generation (esp on Xbox) and plug/play.. plug in the console, and bam gaming. Also Computers tend to be in a gaming room / battle station where as consoles are on your couch. (yes there are exceptions)
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22