Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account

Paladins in 5mans

How are Paladins in 5 mans? Are they good at tanking/healing/dpsing?

Do they have fun class quests?

Going Human.

Thanks.

they can tank and heal fine in 5 mans.

Their level 20 class quest is notorious for being epic. Having to treck to SFK, BFD, all over the place and do dungeons.

Pallies are probably the best speedrun dungeon tank since they have the best aoe aggro, tho getting gear to do so is not easy.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Best 5 man healer in the game, highest hps in the game. Dont listen to the priest hype. AoE tanking is strong but they lack a taunt so tanking will be difficult with retarded groups. Dps is meh but in most 5 man content it honestly doesnt matter unless the group leader is an elitist retard

5+ Year Old Account
    That is good to hear! I absolutely love their class lore and fantasy. And i'm totally fine with the slow leveling process and bringing buffs and amazing heals to end game raids

Recently levelled a 60 pally, and played pally from vanilla through to LK and raided in every spec.

In classic, Holy pally in 5 man is very strong, except no aoe healing. Pally can tank 5 man dungeons easily. Only unfortunately thing is Ret pally dps is fair bit behind of other dps classes, not even close.

Class quests are not bad, though I found Warlock class quests better.

Human pally is the way to go!

Have fun, it is a very special class with lots of cool utilities and lore behind it.

Hi there,
    for sure, the best 5man tank... its fun, lot of utilities..
    - can avoid run from grave, through entire instance with sacrifice yourself with Divine intervation
    - yo can resurrect healer ( or when healer is druid)
    - if you have Spiritual focus, you can swap to Concentration aura and healing/tanking if healer is oom.
    - you have superduper aoe threath

But you don't have taunt, or you have ,,soft" taunt Blessing of Protection
    And keep in mind that Pally don't have Shield wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Holydork View Post
    + mace/sword skill is nice, but if you plan do pvp as well, then i would rather go Dwarf.

Quote Originally Posted by Holydork View Post
    Recently levelled a 60 pally, and played pally from vanilla through to LK and raided in every spec.

In classic, Holy pally in 5 man is very strong, except no aoe healing. Pally can tank 5 man dungeons easily. Only unfortunately thing is Ret pally dps is fair bit behind of other dps classes, not even close.

Class quests are not bad, though I found Warlock class quests better.

Have fun, it is a very special class with lots of cool utilities and lore behind it.
    You can, even if people here say you can't, play ret as a support role in dungeons / raids. Having a player deals some damage but also can heal when it's needed is really good. Get some nice gear for dmg with +int and you're set to go. This is an RPG. Having fun is the main focus. You wont wipe 20 times more per night because you play ret instead of fury warrior in a raid.

That's how I've been playing druid (both in vanilla and now on ps). I dps and heal, never wiped once while lving since 2 healers are OP in lvl up dungeons. And you don't lose time since you DPS most of the time.

I think most people who replied do not realize you're talking about Classic WoW.

Paladin tanks are extremely good for 5 mans. Their only downsides are a lack of end game gear suited to them, and not having a taunt.
    They don't need either, with how easy 5 mans are.
    People can be morons and pull before the tank or some how even pull threat off the tank, but they wont die as nothing hits particularly hard outside of larger group content.

But if you then want to go on and tank raids, you will be holding your group back quite severely. Bear and warrior can just output so much more threat on a single target, to the point that DPS can unload without having to worry.

My plan is to have paladin and druid 60 first, as they are both fun classes that offer a lot of flexibility and are generally desirable for all pve content.
    Sadly, have to be alliance for that. What a shame.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Paladin are probably the best Tank for 5man while they are trash in Raid.

Righterous Fury + Salvation = DPS without breaks

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear:

They have the best AoE threat generation in the game.
    The ability to generate threat without having to worry about being rage starved.
    Being able to Cleanse.
    More block value from talents then Warriors due to Shield Specialization and 10% Strength. Although once Warriors reach Tier 3 they start getting more then you.
    Being able to wipe out every debuff in the game – for 15 mana (Only Paladins are capable of doing this).

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    I never seen a paladin tank while leveling, never, only retribution pals mostly because respec was a pain in the ass and it's easier to level up in ret.
    you can tank heal or dps any dungeon in any spec up to strath and shcolo you just need some int gear if you want to heal, which is not hard to aquire

Tankadin issue is that, beside not having useful tanking abilities like Shield Wall or Last Stand, is that there isn't a good itemization for them because

You need : STAMINA INT SPELLPWR MP5 DEFENSE

You can't have 2/3 on the same item so you will tend to lack in some of these stats.

For example you pick Redoubt BECAUSE you are not gonna be Def Capped so on large pulls it will proc 100% and you will allign Holy Shield to maximise dps and tps.

Quote Originally Posted by pppbroom View Post
    Did I say that you can't? No, I said that I haven't seen any prot paladins tanking while leveling, because outside of dungeons you had to level on your own which is easier in ret spec and which is more convenient.
    That because until 38 is useless level as prot vs retri 1h + shield

Quote Originally Posted by Daikoku View Post
    Paladin are probably the best Tank for 5man while they are trash in Raid.

Righterous Fury + Salvation = DPS without breaks

- - - Updated - - -

Just to be clear:

More block value from talents then Warriors due to Shield Specialization and 10% Strength.
    I doupt that +10% strenght worth 5 talent points. You need 20 Strength (is that correct?) to increase block value by 1.
    So if you have 200 Strength, 5 talent point give you 20strength -> increase block value for 1 point of damage. (+ a little of physical damage)

But if you have 200 intellect. You get 20x 15 = 300 mana.

So.. what is way to go?
    For me, it seems like intellect is winner.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I never had problems with dps in dungeons as Ret. Maybe its because i always bought the bis blue weapon and had nice armor, but i mostly tops dps meters in dungeons. SoC is way to go.

Tanking is amazing if the group attacks your main target. Getting really good at seal swapping is going to be key for any Paladin player in Vanilla. When you master it you can drastically reduce your down time.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

Quote Originally Posted by Nargoron View Post
    I doupt that +10% strenght worth 5 talent points. You need 20 Strength (is that correct?) to increase block value by 1.
    So if you have 200 Strength, 5 talent point give you 20strength -> increase block value for 1 point of damage. (+ a little of physical damage)

But if you have 200 intellect. You get 20x 15 = 300 mana.

So.. what is way to go?
    For me, it seems like intellect is winner.
    You are right, INT is a BiS stat due to paladin tank begin hogs for mana.

BUT this is a thing for pre BWL gear/itemization after that you get so much STR that became really strong the buff.

Pre-BWL or basically pre-raiding INT outmatch STR no contest.

But even if you prefer 5/5 STR you still have 5/5 Benediction that is the core mana-saver for your main DPS/TPS, rather than that you have to play wisely around Mana Management for HS/BoS

Plus don't forget that you will run with tons of consumables spanning from Mana Regen to INT and you will use passive Trinkets like Mana Tap

I loved being a ret/holy paladin in 5 mans. A good pally could heal the group and also help dps to prevent a wipe if needed.

Well if you play only 5 man content and you are so geared to be ok with ZG you can do it, but only for the scenario above.

Pala Prot are really strong in 5man and basically BiS tier for speedrun Scholo/Stratho under 25min

Bonus side is that a prot pala can farm multiple mobs like a God, I remember some video of people begin able to solo Deadlines at 20(?)
    Last edited by Daikoku; 2019-04-16 at 03:19 PM.