Page 8 of 182 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Everything is expensive if you're poor. 500 bucks ain't bad for a piece of a new hardware. But then again there are people who think that paying 2k for an OLED tv is "too much" and it's "too expensive".

Quote Originally Posted by Cizr View Post
    Honestly even 500$ is not bad when you compare it with price of gaming PC if you are someone who has neither PC or PS and wants to get into gaming. It will last you for years.
    yeah, for two years till ps5++ release, in that exact moment your regular ps5 will become 20fps bucket of iron

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trbn View Post
    yeah, for two years till ps5++ release, in that exact moment your regular ps5 will become 20fps bucket of iron
    The PS4 non-pro and Xbox 1 non-X are still perfectly capable of playing the newer games.. Because most devs make games for those as the baseline and then add in extra stuff for the pro and X versions

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusiv...t-gen-console/

Welp
    >Uses a custom SSD to load 19 times faster
    >Backwards compatible with all PS4 games, and the PSVR surprisingly
    >Some titles -AKA The Last of Us Part 2 and Death Stranding no doubt- will launch simultaneously on both systems
    >A focus on much greater audio quality to increase immersion
    >Custom GPU to support ray tracing for lighting and audio
    >The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture.
    >The gold standard experience will be using high quality headphones
    >Not coming in 2019

Not exactly shocking but boy i bet this will see PS4 become another 'well the new one makes it totally worthless' console that fills up the back rooms of game stores like the sp1 and gamecube did back in the day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    https://www.wired.com/story/exclusiv...t-gen-console/

Welp
    >Uses a custom SSD to load 19 times faster
    >Backwards compatible with all PS4 games, and the PSVR surprisingly
    >Some titles -AKA The Last of Us Part 2 and Death Stranding no doubt- will launch simultaneously on both systems
    >A focus on much greater audio quality to increase immersion
    >Custom GPU to support ray tracing for lighting and audio
    >The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture.
    >The gold standard experience will be using high quality headphones
    >Not coming in 2019

Not exactly shocking but boy i bet this will see PS4 become another 'well the new one makes it totally worthless' console that fills up the back rooms of game stores like the sp1 and gamecube did back in the day.
    Man if its fully bc with ps4 and affects every ps4 game, ill be playing ps4 games forever.

My question is if this is true, would the backwards compatibility use the disc drive or no? Would it be more like PSNow/PS store(have to repurchase said game) or can I pop one of my older games in? If it is the first, then honestly isn't worth it as that is already a feature on the PS4. This is the thing that is I am curious about.

As others have asked, is it too much for something that typically lasts 5+ years? Absolutely not. People pay more for phones, and replace the phones more often than every 5 years.

The one thing I will say about people trying to make comparisons between consoles and PC's, and while the value of a PC far outweighs the value a console can provide, from a pure gaming standpoint there is a huge difference between console gamers and pc gamers. By its very nature console gamers want to turn on a game, and be in it within 2 minutes while sitting on their couch. The further you think about the differences of gaming on a console vs PC the differences become even more clear.

Sidenote, I've always been an XBOX guy, but do most Playstation games have what is seemingly gobs of loading screens? With said screens taking ~3-10 seconds each time? I always laugh when I get a cutscene (here's looking at you Gears of War) that says "Press blah to skip", when skipping seems to take ~5+ seconds anyway.
    Last edited by alturic; 2019-04-16 at 01:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gondrin View Post
    My question is if this is true, would the backwards compatibility use the disc drive or no? Would it be more like PSNow/PS store(have to repurchase said game) or can I pop one of my older games in? If it is the first, then honestly isn't worth it as that is already a feature on the PS4. This is the thing that is I am curious about.
    It's true and I am sure they mean full BC with physical games.

Like I have been saying for years, second half of 2020. 500€ seems about right with a SSD and BC with PS4.

If it's true, I hope there will be a cheaper version available from the get go that has a DualShock 5 without the camera as that sounds pretty much pointless (and the theories made in the thread didn't change that).
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by Xlightning View Post
    It's true and I am sure they mean full BC with physical games.

Like I have been saying for years, second half of 2020. and 500€ seems about right with SSD and BC with PS4.
    I'm more curious about PS1/2/3 disc compatibility then PS4. I figure it will only be software emulation then onboard chip like the launch PS3 has(which I still have one that works).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    As others have asked, is it too much for something that typically lasts 5+ years? Absolutely not. People pay more for phones, and replace the phones more often than every 5 years.

The one thing I will say about people trying to make comparisons between consoles and PC's, and while the value of a PC far outweighs the value a console can provide, from a pure gaming standpoint there is a huge difference between console gamers and pc gamers. By its very nature console gamers want to turn on a game, and be in it within 2 minutes while sitting on their couch. The further you think about the differences of gaming on a console vs PC the differences become even more clear.

Sidenote, I've always been an XBOX guy, but do most Playstation games have what is seemingly gobs of loading screens? With said screens taking ~3-10 seconds each time? I always laugh when I get a cutscene (here's looking at you Gears of War) that says "Press blah to skip", when skipping seems to take ~5+ seconds anyway.
    I dont remember the last time i got into a game within 2 minutes, especially a new one. Unless i suspended a game, they load much faster on my pc.

What games are you even talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    If it's true, I hope there will be a cheaper version available from the get go that has a DualShock 5 without the camera as that sounds pretty much pointless (and the theories made in the thread didn't change that).
    But these "features" or "innovations" are what allows these companies to charge more. Take the Kinect for example, has anyone actually ever used that? Perhaps it has gotten a lot better than the original XBOX, but that "feature" is something I would never use. Same with a camera in a controller so I can video chat with other players or something. At the same time, I have never played any console game where I actually used voice-chat either but I bet there is a ton of console gamers who do actually use that feature, yes even those that are older than 12 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I dont remember the last time i got into a game within 2 minutes, especially a new one. Unless i suspended a game, they load much faster on my pc.

What games are you even talking about?
    Well, 2 minutes might have shaved off 3 minutes but it was more to drive home the point of a PC you can't just load it up on your couch and be playing at your leisure. Sure, there are gamers who put a PC next to their TV. Sure, there are gamers who are advanced enough to use a controller with a PC game. Sure, there are a few games that can actually utilize said controller, but all of those are extremely few and far between.

I almost solely buy local multiplayer titles as I want to play with my kids, or my kids wants to play with each other, so I have a bias there as well. I am definitely a PC master race type of gamer for anything other than that.

I'm unsure if you're asking what games take such little time to load, or what games take such long time to load. All I was trying to get across is that (again, XBOX) consoles always seem to be "buy physical game, go home and take ~10-20 minutes to 'install' said game", or download the digital version (typically at 20% of my networks throughput) but the main thing I can't stand about consoles (or at least the XBOX) is how it takes so goddamn long to load games, loading screens out the ass, "skips" seeming to take 5+ seconds, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds pretty cheap to me.

I'm more curious about PS1/2/3 disc compatibility then PS4. I figure it will only be software emulation then onboard chip like the launch PS3 has(which I still have one that works).
    PS1, 2 and 3, probably digitally only if you have them on your account. PS4, probably physical and digital BC. Personally, don't think I want to play any PS1,2,3 games anyway. And even on PS3, I have more digital games than discs. I have 4 discs for PS3 only. All my PS4 games are digital. Last physical game I bought, I think it was Legacy of the Void for PC in 2015 and only because I wanted to have the 3 boxes of the SCII trilogy.
    Last edited by Sughs; 2019-04-16 at 02:16 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    But these "features" or "innovations" are what allows these companies to charge more. Take the Kinect for example, has anyone actually ever used that? Perhaps it has gotten a lot better than the original XBOX, but that "feature" is something I would never use. Same with a camera in a controller so I can video chat with other players or something. At the same time, I have never played any console game where I actually used voice-chat either but I bet there is a ton of console gamers who do actually use that feature, yes even those that are older than 12 years old.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, 2 minutes might have shaved off 3 minutes but it was more to drive home the point of a PC you can't just load it up on your couch and be playing at your leisure. Sure, there are gamers who put a PC next to their TV. Sure, there are gamers who are advanced enough to use a controller with a PC game. Sure, there are a few games that can actually utilize said controller, but all of those are extremely few and far between.

I almost solely buy local multiplayer titles as I want to play with my kids, or my kids wants to play with each other, so I have a bias there as well. I am definitely a PC master race type of gamer for anything other than that.

I'm unsure if you're asking what games take such little time to load, or what games take such long time to load. All I was trying to get across is that (again, XBOX) consoles always seem to be "buy physical game, go home and take ~10-20 minutes to 'install' said game", or download the digital version (typically at 20% of my networks throughput) but the main thing I can't stand about consoles (or at least the XBOX) is how it takes so goddamn long to load games, loading screens out the ass, "skips" seeming to take 5+ seconds, etc.
    Disc read speeds capped out last gen so they need to be installed and theyre use old laptop mechanicals so of course load times arent great

Not quoting you gondrin to elicit a response, using your question as a point.

See, this question right here is a prime example of what I mean about console gamers vs PC gamers. Sure, you have PC gamers who fire up Diablo, or Starcraft, or Civ1 years upon years upon years after they are released, but the console gamer seems to consistently play all of their old titles and/or expect their 2, 3, 4+ generation console games to work on latest generation version of said console. Hell, I bet there's people who still play Goldeneye on the N64 or something horrid like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Disc read speeds capped out last gen so they need to be installed and theyre use old laptop mechanicals so of course load times arent great
    I've never been a "real" console gamer, but unless I just value my time much more now than I did was I was ~14-16 has it always been this way or was it more the graphics outpaced other hardware? I don't remember a console game ever taking so long as last gen and current gen consoles. I *think* I do remember a lot of loading screens usually, but even those I don't remember taking such a long time all those years ago.

I'm always skeptical when a leaker claims to know the price of a console. It's always easy enough to guess within a certain range, but pinpointing the exact cost is really difficult because almost no one knows that yet, even at Sony themselves.

That said the size of that drive + full BC + some basic 8k support makes 500$ not so bad.

rly, 500$ is too much for a brand new next gen console that will last you years....

15+ Year Old Account
    Not quoting you gondrin to elicit a response, using your question as a point.

See, this question right here is a prime example of what I mean about console gamers vs PC gamers. Sure, you have PC gamers who fire up Diablo, or Starcraft, or Civ1 years upon years upon years after they are released, but the console gamer seems to consistently play all of their old titles and/or expect their 2, 3, 4+ generation console games to work on latest generation version of said console. Hell, I bet there's people who still play Goldeneye on the N64 or something horrid like that.

- - - Updated - - -

I've never been a "real" console gamer, but unless I just value my time much more now than I did was I was ~14-16 has it always been this way or was it more the graphics outpaced other hardware? I don't remember a console game ever taking so long as last gen and current gen consoles. I *think* I do remember a lot of loading screens usually, but even those I don't remember taking such a long time all those years ago.
    There are plenty of old games with really long load times. Its always been on a per game basis

There are plenty of old games with really long load times. Its always been on a per game basis
    Well, whatever the reason, it's odd how console makers don't seem to care about 'fixing' what seems to be a fundamental flaw of the system(s). Hell, again it could be coupled with me valuing my time much more now added to the fact I expect consoles to be a turn on, get into game, get out within 30 minutes while having an enjoyable time type of platform. Yea, that's probably what it is. :P

I just don't put a console game on the same level as a PC game, for whatever reason.