Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The one responsible for freeing N'zoth is...

The player character. First we free the knaifu for no reason and deliver her to N'zoth to awaken him and then, knowing that he's made the knife his tool, we bring it to Sylvanas anyway even as N'zoth tells us she's pure evil and how bad an idea it is.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=291224/...atath#comments

We do this regardless of whether we're #Shills4Syl or Rebelscum. Sylvanas doesn't even tell us to get the knife or anything. She would've lost the war due to her mental retardation if we didn't help her become an Old God puppet because the real twist is that we were the old god puppets all along.

And we did it all for 10g and 2000 azerite.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    From the quest text, it appears that the blade exerts a compulsion that forces our hands - the will of N'Zoth is bent entirely on ensuring we bring the blade to Sylvanas, completing the plan. Our reason for bringing Xal'atath to N'Zoth was a misdirection as well. The Naga planned to create some kind of super-powered storm that would scour the surface of all life. In attempting to stop this we inadvertently aid Xal'atath and deliver powerful relics to N'Zoth. The mission is completed, but an even worse set of events is caused.

Mind you, this same kind of "compulsion" act happens when we originally gave Inigo Montoy the phylactery of Kel'Thuzad, or when we free Darkspearker R'khem from the Saronite Mines in Icecrown.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    From the quest text, it appears that the blade exerts a compulsion that forces our hands - the will of N'Zoth is bent entirely on ensuring we bring the blade to Sylvanas, completing the plan. Our reason for bringing Xal'atath to N'Zoth was a misdirection as well. The Naga planned to create some kind of super-powered storm that would scour the surface of all life. In attempting to stop this we inadvertently aid Xal'atath and deliver powerful relics to N'Zoth. The mission is completed, but an even worse set of events is caused.

Mind you, this same kind of "compulsion" act happens when we originally gave Inigo Montoy the phylactery of Kel'Thuzad, or when we free Darkspearker R'khem from the Saronite Mines in Icecrown.
    I mean, it also says you're compelled to tell Anduin if you're Alliance-side, and I doubt that part is mind control. Also, you're already aware that N'zoth is controlling the knaifu earlier, so it's not like you couldn't have told anyone about this prior even if you were MC'd by the knife, which I'm unconvinced by.

The PC being an Old God puppet solves all these problems.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

And Bfa continues to be predictable and very much in the steps of MoP.......... seriously blizz.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post

Well there have been hints for something like this for years and N'zoth poking our head with a void shard was just icing on the cake.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Aku%27mai_the_Devourer

The Old Gods whispers: Savor this victory, mortal. Now that you've heard our whispers, it is only a matter of time until you belong to us.

This totally doesn't remind me of Garrosh, who ordered his champions to find the Divine Bell so that he could use its dark powers to turn the war in his favour.

Of course, since Afrasiabi and Danuser have a boner for Sylvanas, she is somehow different from Garrosh.

For what's worth it, Mayla Highmountain (if Blizzard remembers her) should be pissed off once she learns that Sylvanas is using an Old God artifact.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

I regret nothing!

The player character. First we free the knaifu for no reason and deliver her to N'zoth to awaken him and then, knowing that he's made the knife his tool, we bring it to Sylvanas anyway even as N'zoth tells us she's pure evil and how bad an idea it is.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=291224/...atath#comments

We do this regardless of whether we're #Shills4Syl or Rebelscum. Sylvanas doesn't even tell us to get the knife or anything. She would've lost the war due to her mental retardation if we didn't help her become an Old God puppet because the real twist is that we were the old god puppets all along.

And we did it all for 10g and 2000 azerite.
    I like how even the quest text says that this is a very bad idea and we still go "gotta get the quest rewards, lol"

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    This totally doesn't remind me of Garrosh, who ordered his champions to find the Divine Bell so that he could use its dark powers to turn the war in his favour.
    End this disgusting slander. When Garrosh took up an Old God weapon because he was losing the war and had people rebelling against him, this corrupted weapon which whispered to him was called Xal'atoh. Sylvanas' weapon is called Xal'atath. It's completely different.

Also, unlike Sylvanas Garrosh was actually in control per dev tweets whereas the waifu hardly has to see the knaifu before she immediately starts spouting Old God speak.

I mean, it also says you're compelled to tell Anduin if you're Alliance-side, and I doubt that part is mind control. Also, you're already aware that N'zoth is controlling the knaifu earlier, so it's not like you couldn't have told anyone about this prior even if you were MC'd by the knife, which I'm unconvinced by.

I don't agree that the 'Anduin-compulsion' is unwanted by N'zoth. How else would N'zoth ensure that both Alliance and Horde walk into the Nazjatar-trap than making the Alliance follow every single step the Horde makes even more zealous than before?

And, just for my information, where do you see the difference between being a puppet and not being able to resist a compulsion? If there indeed is one, the ones that cleansed the 'gift' may need some compulsion while the ones that kept it don't. (Even though I don't think Brother Pike was actually able to cleanse it completely and it is only dormant, as the tooltip of the toy says)

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    I don't agree that the 'Anduin-compulsion' is unwanted by N'zoth. How else would N'zoth ensure that both Alliance and Horde walk into the Nazjatar-trap than making the Alliance follow every single step the Horde makes even more zealous than before?

And, just for my information, where do you see the difference between being a puppet and not being able to resist a compulsion? If there indeed is one, the ones that cleansed the 'gift' may need some compulsion while the ones that kept it don't. (Even though I don't think Brother Pike was actually able to cleanse it completely and it is only dormant, as the tooltip of the toy says)
    I'm pretty sure your character doesn't need to be mind-controlled to deliver valuable intel to his sovereign.

Because if the PC is not an Old God puppet he has no reason not to inform at the very least Talanji and the rest, or even Sylvanas herself, that the knife is still out there and will be used by N'zoth to enact his evil plan prior to the raid taking place. Especially if he's a rebel and delivering the evil knaifu to the Warchief he's trying to overthrow goes slightly against his goals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium

Probably not, but we know that Sylvanas is who N'Zoth wants to possess Xal'atath, and in the Alliance version I am sure we'll find out she somehow gained possession of it in short order. In the Horde case this seems far more direct, and far more like a true compulsion as opposed to an emotional one.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)

The "compulsion" aka something in our heads whispering "There are mount rewards at the end" or "This questline is roadblock to unlock more content".

Now i understand why people give in to whispers.
    Last edited by Arrashi; 2019-04-16 at 05:04 PM.

I'm pretty sure your character doesn't need to be mind-controlled to deliver valuable intel to his sovereign.

Because if the PC is not an Old God puppet he has no reason not to inform at the very least Talanji and the rest, or even Sylvanas herself, that the knife is still out there and will be used by N'zoth to enact his evil plan prior to the raid taking place. Especially if he's a rebel and delivering the evil knaifu to the Warchief he's trying to overthrow goes slightly against his goals.
    Well, yea, that's surely right. But that would be where it could be one or the other, the PC is an Old God puppet or there is a compulsion upon them. Or maybe even straight up mind control. Also, in a way I think all major players (including the pc) are some kind of Old God puppets, just look at the way the war happened. But this would now lead too far into the rabbit hole when we're only talking about this specific event

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    The "compulsion" aka something in our heads whispering "There is mount rewards at the end" or "This questline is roadblock to unlock more content".

Now i understand why people give in to whispers.
    As if the player character would need something so fancy, they murder for a handful of copper after all.

Quote Originally Posted by formerShandalay View Post
    Well, yea, that's surely right. But that would be where it could be one or the other, the PC is an Old God puppet or there is a compulsion upon them. Or maybe even straight up mind control. Also, in a way I think all major players (including the pc) are some kind of Old God puppets, just look at the way the war happened. But this would now lead too far into the rabbit hole when we're only talking about this specific event
    As regards this chain of events, only the PC being an Old God puppet resolves all plot holes. Though I do find it funny that where Garrosh actually went out to get the old god weapon, we traffic it to Sylvanas and she's so weak-willed that she immediately starts speaking like Il'gynoth not a minute after she has it. Though I guess she has that in common with the PC.

@Aucald

I still think the text implies you just do it on your own because of the way the same phrasing is apparent in the Alliance version and how N'zoth directly warns us that Sylvanas will bring only ruin, yet we do it anyway but I guess we'll see if any of the other Horde characters are aware by next patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    As if the player character would need something so fancy, they murder for a handful of copper after all.
    PC in WoW is bigger psychopath than me when playing rimworld. So yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    I still think the text implies you just do it on your own because of the way the same phrasing is apparent in the Alliance version and how N'zoth directly warns us that Sylvanas will bring only ruin, yet we do it anyway but I guess we'll see if any of the other Horde characters are aware by next patch.
    It is possible, but I think the context here is quite different, making the word take on something of a different meaning between the two scenarios. Ruin is also what N'Zoth wants.

End this disgusting slander. When Garrosh took up an Old God weapon because he was losing the war and had people rebelling against him, this corrupted weapon which whispered to him was called Xal'atoh. Sylvanas' weapon is called Xal'atath. It's completely different.

Also, unlike Sylvanas Garrosh was actually in control per dev tweets whereas the waifu hardly has to see the knaifu before she immediately starts spouting Old God speak.
    Did you miss the fact that I was talking about THE DIVINE BELL?
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

It is possible, but I think the context here is quite different, making the word take on something of a different meaning between the two scenarios. Ruin is also what N'Zoth wants.
    That's actually an interesting point. Is it what he wants? We'd see it as such obviously, but N'zoth is the first old god who doesn't seem to be a card-carrying bad guy. He talks about how this is how to turn the tide and he has datamined lines about enemies of all, along with speaking favourably to the player and talking about truths being revealed. So while he obviously wants ruin for us, I don't think he views his victory that way - after all he refers to the buff he gives as a gift, even though we know from the affected Zandalari that it turns them into murderous nutjobs.
    @Void Fallen

You're thinking a patch behind. What makes this different from Mists is that we're jumping straight to Xal-something as the bad thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post

Of course, since Afrasiabi and Danuser have a boner for Sylvanas, she is somehow different from Garrosh.

For what's worth it, Mayla Highmountain (if Blizzard remembers her) should be pissed off once she learns that Sylvanas is using an Old God artifact.
    So she hates all PC Priests?