Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Russian Support for Stalin Surges to Record High, Poll Shows

Respect among Russians for Josef Stalin has surged to the highest level of President Vladimir Putin’s era, with 70 percent saying his rule had been good for the country, according to a poll tracking attitudes toward the Soviet dictator.

A record 51 percent viewed Stalin positively in March, up from 40 percent a year earlier, the survey published Tuesday by the Moscow-based Levada Center showed. The proportion regarding him with admiration, respect or sympathy was the highest since it began the survey in April 2001, Levada said on its website.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ord-poll-shows

How do you convince millions of people that a tyrant was good for the country? Even better than the current regime?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    How do you convince millions of people that a tyrant was good for the country? Even better than the current regime?
    by putting forward the notion that said dictator and tyrant's political leaning is something people would have favor for today, and such ideals are something they need to follow, while just throwing a napkin over those pesky smell details, like the mass murder of thousands of people.
    #boycottchina

This is the result of (a) never ending propaganda about the evil West attacking glorious Russia because it's so damn bad, and (b) falling personal income of most Russians. Roughly speaking, poor old guys get poor enough to get active and then they start invoking Stalin's name in the bizarre hope that if the communists were to get in power, they would fuck up the corrupted oligarchs and normal folk would perhaps be living not too well, but would not have to worry about what they are going to eat at least. But it's more complex, of course. (Obviously, both Stalin and communists are a complete dead end, a no go, and won't make anything at all better.)

There is alot of people that still thinks communism is something good. For russians its a nostalgia about when their country was more important

Quote Originally Posted by Bodonius View Post
    There is alot of people that still thinks communism is something good. For russians its a nostalgia about when their country was more important
    When your government screws you over as hard (no law and order compared to the West, complete uncertainty, de-facto system of VIP citizens with guards vs everyone else who have no rights) and for as long (something like 100 years with a brief 3-5 year window of relative freedom that was shut down?) as in Russia, you kind of go nuts a little. I wouldn't be too hard on people. They are being exploited from all sides so they rush for any source of hope. That nostalgia is there just because it felt safer to some compared to what goes now and what comes in the future, that's it.
    Last edited by rda; 2019-04-16 at 03:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    When your government screws you over as hard (no law and order compared to the West, complete uncertainty, de-facto system of VIP citizens with guards vs everyone else who have no rights) and for as long (something like 100 years with a brief 3-5 year window of relative freedom that was shut down?) as in Russia, you kind of go nuts a little. I wouldn't be too hard on people. They are being exploited from all sides so they rush for any source of hope. That nostalgia is there just because it felt safer to some compared to what goes now and what comes in the future, that's it.
    Agree. I hope i never have to learn how it is to walk in their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    This is the result of (a) never ending propaganda about the evil West attacking glorious Russia because it's so damn bad
    Do you understand how much corporate propaganda gets beamed into your brain on a daily basis? Do you honestly think the thousands of messages you receive via internet, tv and mobile aren't affecting you in some way? Because they almost certainly are and I suspect you never thought about it at all. Stalin would have been jealous of that type of mind control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    How do you convince millions of people that a tyrant was good for the country?
    The same way that you convince that you convince millions of Brits that imperialism was a wonderful thing or yanks that the genocide and slavery the founding fathers presided over was a good thing. Or any one anywhere that evil shit their ancestors did was a good thing.

You convince them by pointing out that people in other countries were evil so the evil shit their ancestors did was necessary.

Sorry, was I supposed to say "Russians are bad" or something?

Quote Originally Posted by vantlamper View Post
    Stalin would have been jealous of that type of mind control.
    Exactly, Stalin would have been jealous of the levels of propaganda in current Russia. I know that you were talking about the world in general, but the world has a very light version comparably.

Well sure since everybody who would disagree is not a Russian, dead or both. /s

The russians have never really lived under a government that wasn't totalitarian.. Whether it's the tsar, soviets or oligarchs. It doens't really matter though, the current russian communist party is controlled opposition and can't win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Humans love to blame others for their problems and they love to have others solve their problems. When you can tell folks who their enemy is and how you will destroy that enemy....well "the hearts of man are easily swayed."
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    The support for Stalin has to do with him holding the country together against the Nazis. Not support for his communist purges. The mentality has traditionally been that yes he did horrible things, but being taken over by Nazi Germany would have been far worse.

Gotta say, masochism on the nation level is impressive.

I don't see him running against Putin.

7+ Year Old Account
    Cool, they could implement Stalinism and watch as the government destroys the economy.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Interesting..

So Russians love Stalin.
    The Chinese love Mao.
    The Cubans love Castro.
    The Vietnamese love Ho-Chi-Minh.

But they are all wrong and they were all terrible people because our government and the rich, who we hate, say so?

You people make no sense.
    Or maybe because all those dictators killed insane numbers of people, and that's why they're bad, and people who have been brainwashed or stockholm'd into thinking they're good are in need of some serious help?

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Or maybe because all those dictators killed insane numbers of people, and that's why they're bad, and people who have been brainwashed or stockholm'd into thinking they're good are in need of some serious help?
    Maybe you're the one being brainwashed though?

Or perhaps you could acknowledge those victims were part of huge societal transformation that in the end propelled some of those countries to superpower status?

To the point where some things established/developed under them still happen to be cornerstone of modern society?

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Maybe you're the one being brainwashed though?

Or perhaps you could acknowledge those victims were part of huge societal transformation that in the end propelled some of those countries to superpower status?

To the point where some things established/developed under them still happen to be cornerstone of modern society?
    Ah, I see. So, it's okay to murder millions upon millions of innocent people if it raises your country to a higher status and improves society. I'm learning so much!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    Ah, I see. So, it's okay to murder millions upon millions of innocent people if it raises your country to a higher status and improves society. I'm learning so much!
    It is obviously much better to maintain oligarchy that bleeds people dry and incompetent czars rather then dream of society where everyone is equal and has equal access to education and healthcare, independent of their financial status. /s

Big changes, big costs. Turning 80% peasant country into industrial superpower in time for WW2 isn't cheap, and it is quite probable that toying with slow and steady progress forms (as some advocated during Stalin's years) would end up with USSR suffering same fate as France to Hitler's forces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    It is obviously much better to maintain oligarchy that bleeds people dry and incompetent czars rather then dream of society where everyone is equal and has equal access to education and healthcare, independent of their financial status. /s

Big changes, big costs. Turning 80% peasant country into industrial superpower in time for WW2 isn't cheap, and it is quite probable that toying with slow and steady progress forms (as some advocated during Stalin's years) would end up with USSR suffering same fate as France to Hitler's forces.
    Yes, I totally was arguing for this without even saying it! Incredibly insightful of you.

Also, Stalin murder millions of his people after WW2. The war was over, the threat was done. There was no need to be as sadistically cruel as he was. The fact that you are saying that all of this was acceptable for progress is disgusting.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    But they are all wrong and they were all terrible people because our government and the rich, who we hate, say so?
    You people make no sense.
    Nothing interesting I think. Most of the people may be affected by propaganda easily. That's an expected behavior when somebody government doesn't like some another country leader, which are smart and isn't seems to be "productive". Especially for communistic leaders. Classic communism was already trampled all over the world many years ago, but somebody governments still feeling a psycological pain.