Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The censoring China does is upsetting. I really don’t understand why they have it - what purpose does it serve?
    it's about the suppression of everything that is human. it's about control to the spiritual level.

just another example of the evil of china, and how it must be stopped.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    didn't watch The Boondocks at all growin up?

anywho, R. Kelly is a rapper who pissed on a 16 year old girl on camera
    I'm not an American. I live across the pond!
    Be loyal to what matters - Arthur Morgan

NX Friend Code: SW-0102-0077-4738

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's about the suppression of everything that is human. it's about control to the spiritual level.

just another example of the evil of china, and how it must be stopped.
    We can and should condemn it, but you are not going to stop a county from doing what they want within their own country which is a nuclear power and has over 1 billion people. And they rule there with a iron fist.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-04-16 at 11:29 PM.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder where our resident Chinese Communist crusader is to tell us how this is blown out of proportion and fake news, how China's moral code is the most upstanding, and how proud 1.3 billion party members are to have every single word they hear or image they see intensely scrutinized and censored.

Bonus points if they dreg up something blaming the US for something they did decades ago.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I wonder where our resident Chinese Communist crusader is to tell us how this is blown out of proportion and fake news, how China's moral code is the most upstanding, and how proud 1.3 billion party members are to have every single word they hear or image they see intensely scrutinized and censored.

Bonus points if they dreg up something blaming the US for something they did decades ago.
    You mean Kangodo?

Isn't he from the Netherlands? Why does he have such a hard-on for the CCP? Or is he just a communist-supporter in general?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    You mean Kangodo?

Isn't he from the Netherlands? Why does he have such a hard-on for the CCP? Or is he just a communist-supporter in general?
    I wont name names, but I'm always wary of the "Every OTHER country has it WRONG! This one country? They know the TRUTH!" angle. It's honestly little different from climate change deniers propping up the republican party as holding the superior science, in contrast with the accumulated scientific knowledg of every other country on the planet telling them they're flat wrong.

It's the equivalent of 12 jurors and a bevy of witnesses finding and attesting to the guilt of a defendant, but still coming to the conclusion that that defendant must be innocent because they said they were.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2019-04-17 at 12:15 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Its ironic that China so heavily censors sex & violence, because of the lightnovels I've read, its almost always the Chinese ones whose portrayal of sex & violence ends up turning me away.

Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    China is a fascist shithole. We should be doing what we can to undermine their government and free the Chinese people from tyranny.
    You have any idea what bringing american-style "freedom" to a country of 1.4 bln people will do? Its going to ruin their livelihoods far more than a little bit of censorship on TV.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CasualFilth View Post
    Absolutely no idea who R.Kelly is. I'm not that hip with the youth really!
    This will help

Quote Originally Posted by Nasuuna View Post
    didn't watch The Boondocks at all growin up?

anywho, R. Kelly is a rapper who pissed on a 16 year old girl on camera
    tfuks a boondocks?

... If sex and violence is censored in GoT, what is left...?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stardrift View Post
    They should do whatever they want. It's their country, not ours.
    1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    ... If sex and violence is censored in GoT, what is left...?
    Dragons and ice zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    Must suck to live in such a shit country.
    Just because western culture has been brainwashed by shitty memes doesn’t mean it sucks to live anywhere else. On the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    The censoring China does is upsetting. I really don’t understand why they have it - what purpose does it serve?

- - - Updated - - -

Like read this asinine shit: “Skyfall: A scene in which James Bond (Daniel Craig) kills a security guard in Shanghai was cut for referencing prostitution in Macau, which was felt to be "morally or politically damaging" and because it was felt to suggest China cannot defend itself”

That’s bloody insane to think like that.
    Isn't the censorship of bones to somehow avoid people being inspired to do witchcraft? I'm just saying I don't think there's any sanity or logic to these censorship laws China suffers from.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Just because western culture has been brainwashed by shitty memes doesn’t mean it sucks to live anywhere else. On the contrary.
    No, it definitely sucks to live there. I think we can say that objectively at this point. Not to call this the tipping point, just another thing to add to the pile.

I didn't know we had the ability to conduct accurate polls in China. What other things are we certain of when it comes to the opinions of the chinese people? And why did we use this power to poll them on something as useless as GoT?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    I do agree that it would suck to live with default parental control.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    You have any idea what bringing american-style "freedom" to a country of 1.4 bln people will do? Its going to ruin their livelihoods far more than a little bit of censorship on TV.
    Have you always been a fascist nitwit or did you pick today to try this on for size?

In case you missed it: freedom is a god-given right. There's no government in the world with the right to deny you your freedom. If they do, they can, must, and should be overthrown.

Maybe you're just racist enough to resign 1.4 billion chinese people to totalitarianism. I'm not and I bet most people aren't either.

Quote Originally Posted by luciano View Post
    Have you always been a fascist nitwit or did you pick today to try this on for size?

In case you missed it: freedom is a god-given right. There's no government in the world with the right to deny you your freedom. If they do, they can, must, and should be overthrown.

Maybe you're just racist enough to resign 1.4 billion chinese people to totalitarianism. I'm not and I bet most people aren't either.
    *Yawn* another keyboard warrior rattling his saber. Let me know when you find the guts to do anything real about something you believe so strongly in, and not just voice empty rhetoric at the level of a 2nd grader on the internets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sigh. OK, this crossed my bs threshold.

Quote Originally Posted by luciano
    Setting aside the superstitious element of mystical beings bestowing inalienable rights, what you've written is vague to the point of being meaningless.

This is a thread about sex and violence in GoT. What "freedom" are you referring to? The freedom of Chinese guys to jerk off over non-Asian girls in sex scenes? The right of the 20% or so of Chinese who have definable mental issues that aren't getting treated to possibly get inspired to really see what happens when the knife goes into someone? [For context, I am referring to cases like the guy tossing a child from a balcony in the US having set out to kill someone or the Florida woman who recently caused a lock down of Columbine schools. I consider these examples of people whose mental health issues caused them to become a danger to others.]

Face it, the sex and violence of GoT are already censored in the process of filming. They may manage to push things beyond what could have been pulled off in the 80s or 90s (consider how things changed in the years following George Carlin's routine on the 7 words one can't say on TV) but the industry is still expected to regulate itself and to comply with FCC standards (see the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction for reference). That means the only real issue is that GoT wasn't censored according to the standards *you* accepted.

OP is autistic and seems to fixate on posting a particular kind of drop and run article, often simply to serve as a lead in for a weakly related question that may not even properly reflect the article and is intended to stir people up. Most of the comments from the usual suspects in this thread show it is still working. In this case, read the article's quotes carefully and you'll see that they pertain to Tencent possibly censoring the content. From OP: "Daddy Tencent please don't censor it, I beg you," and "I bet it's going to be censored so I won't watch it on your platform." Check around and you'll find it isn't actually known if censorship has been self censorship by HBO, censorship at Tencent, or censorship by China.

Quote Originally Posted by luciano
    Again, you're just tossing a term around, and tying it to another handy buzz word for extra points on your essay. You're the one bringing race (btw -- Chinese isn't a race and China has 55 recognized ethnic minorities) into this, and you may not have gotten the memo but China's leadership has changed a few times since 1989. It is generally regarded as authoritarian rather than totalitarian, however, @Ashnazg raised a valid point -- 1.4 billion people aren't exactly in a great position to do town hall style democracy. Moving off into some of the more remote areas, China is still trying to get roads, schools and utilities in there. For a US based source discussing come of the nuances: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...thoritarian-2/

Maria Repnikova examines the responsive aspect of China’s authoritarian system. “Alongside control, Chinese authorities scrupulously listen to and study public opinion online, engage with and respond to public grievances, and creatively mobilize the public through interactive social media tools,” she writes.

“The monitoring,” she continues, “is accompanied by official online engagement with the public, a process some scholars describe as ‘authoritarian deliberation.’ Officials are increasingly encouraged, and in some cases required, to set up public profiles on Weibo, China’s version of Facebook, and WeChat, a mobile chat app. The number of official Weibo accounts now slightly exceeds 137,000, and the number of official WeChat accounts is over 100,000. These numbers will likely continue to grow.”

She goes on: “Chinese citizens post a variety of queries to these official accounts, from the state of public bathrooms to questions about housing demolitions and water quality. Officials can be held publicly accountable for their responsiveness on social media. Every week, China’s biggest official news outlet, People’s Daily, for instance, ranks official Weibo accounts’ effectiveness in solving problems.”
    Note that the quotes in OP's article were at least in part an example of such a discussion on Weibo, demonstrating that people in China do talk about things like censorship.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.