Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GOP leaders opposed helping 9/11 first responders they praised on anniversary

GOP leaders opposed helping 9/11 first responders they praised on anniversary

House Speaker Paul Ryan presided over a Capitol ceremony last week marking the 15th anniversary of 9/11.

"We aren't here to relive the tragedy, but to remember it --and to honor its memory," said Ryan (R-Wis.). "All of us must choose what it is we take away from it. I think of the firefighters -- the people who went rushing into danger when the whole world was running away from it."

On the anniversary itself, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) proclaimed: "9/11 should serve always as a remembrance of our fellow Americans and first responders that tragically lost their lives that day.''

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) offered a similar sentiment.

"America remembers not only the horror of those attacks, but the heroism in our response," McConnell said. "We saw fire fighters, police officers and first responders rushing into burning buildings as most rushed out."

Six years ago, though, when Congress was asked to help those firefighters and other first responders, both Ryan and McCarthy, then members of the Republican minority, voted no. So did Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), now the GOP vice-presidential nominee. In the Senate, McConnell voted to block action on the bill.

They were among the 157 Republicans who voted against the Zadroga Act to provide health care and compensation to police officers, firefighters and other first responders who were injured at the 9/11 attack sites such as the World Trade Center.

The bill was named for James Zadroga of North Arlington, a New York City police officer who died of a respiratory disease attributed to him breathing in dust at the World Trade Center site 9/11.

The measure passed, 268-160 with only 17 Republicans voting aye, including four of five from New Jersey. Only Rep. Scott Garrett (R-5th Dist.) opposed the bill.

Garrett voted for the final version in a lame-duck December session after proponents overcame a Senate Republican filibuster with the help of comedian Jon Stewart. McCarthy, Pence and Ryan all missed that vote.

In 2015, when Ryan was House speaker, McCarthy was House majority leader and McConnell led the Senate, the Republicans who controlled both chambers refused to bring up a Zadroga Act extension for a vote.

The measure eventually was folded into the $1.1 trillion catch-all spending bill to fund the government through Sept. 30 of this year.

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-N.J.), who counted Zadroga as a constituent, said lawmakers should be supporting first responders all the time, not just on special occasions.

"Don't be hypocritical about it, pat them on the back and screw them later on," Pascrell said.
    https://www.nj.com/politics/2016/09/...ders_they.html

These are the guys who feigned indignation over Ilhan Omar's phrasing. But when it came to actually helping the people affected by 9/11... guess who turned out to be the real virtue signallers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post

These are the guys who feigned indignation over Ilhan Omar's phrasing. But when it came to actually helping the people affected by 9/11... guess who turned out to be the real virtue signallers.
    Waving American flag underwear and crying crocodile tears when they hear the anthem is the Republican definition of patriotism, oh, and hating the foreigners. That's about it.

Why would you do this? Just wondering.

This article and what happened occurred years ago, so its easy to check what really happened. First off, the Reps that didn't sign off agreed to not vote for any Dem bill until the Bush tax cuts were extended. They were also concerned that the bill was going to be paid by increasing the excise tax that would violate in place trade treaties. All of this was changed a couple months after this bill passed in the article you linked. So the bill in the article you linked passed in Sep 2010 but was later changed and voted Yes by the people you are criticizing in Dec of 2010, after the Bush tax cuts were extended and the use of the excise tax was omitted.

Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post

This article and what happened occurred years ago, so its easy to check what really happened. First off, the Reps that didn't sign off agreed to not vote for any Dem bill until the Bush tax cuts were extended. They were also concerned that the bill was going to be paid by increasing the excise tax that would violate in place trade treaties. All of this was changed a couple months after this bill passed in the article you linked. So the bill in the article you linked passed in Sep 2010 but was later changed and voted Yes by the people you are criticizing in Dec of 2010, after the Bush tax cuts were extended and the use of the excise tax was omitted.
    ROFLMAO what about their obstruction when the bill was up for renewal, what's your excuse for that?

Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2019-04-17 at 01:36 PM.

So what you're saying is that they held the bill hostage until they get their own way on other matters? It doesn't make them sound any better.
    CPU: Intel i9-10850k 5.2GHz | MOBO: ASUS RoG Strix Z590-E
    GPU: ASUS Strix RoG OC 1080ti | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 64GB
    SSD: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 1TBx3 | HDD: WD 1TB Black WD 2TB Blue
    PSU: Corsair HX 1200i Platinum | CASE: Lian Li 011 EVO
    DISPLAY: Triple 27" Monitors | ASUS Swift ROG PG2780 27" 1440p - 2x BenQ 27" IPS 1440p

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    ROFLMAO we are talking about their obstruction when the bill was up for renewal, what's your excuse for that?

I mean, you linked what I said, it pretty much explains their reasoning... or did you just decide to quote it but not read it? My point is more to fact that an article from 2016 about an event that happened in Sep 2010 is omitting what happened in Dec 2010. For what? And, if you are even going to read anything I write, read this part. I think they were wrong. But still, this article does nothing but lie through omission, its pretty absurd and I don't understand why the person wrote it or why the OP posted it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Strand NE View Post
    So what you're saying is that they held the bill hostage until they get their own way on other matters? It doesn't make them sound any better.
    I agree, but to not explain the entire story when it happened 6yrs prior to the article is just flat out lying through omission and its bullshit for a journalist to do.

I mean, you linked what I said, it pretty much explains their reasoning... or did you just decide to quote it but not read it? My point is more to fact that an article from 2016 about an event that happened in Sep 2010 is omitting what happened in Dec 2010. For what? And, if you are even going to read anything I write, read this part. I think they were wrong. But still, this article does nothing but lie through omission, its pretty absurd and I don't understand why the person wrote it or why the OP posted it.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, but to not explain the entire story when it happened 6yrs prior to the article is just flat out lying through omission and its bullshit for a journalist to do.
    So you agree they look terrible that's all I wanted, this whole GOP reverence of 9/11 and their faux outrage is even more obvious.

https://www.nj.com/politics/2016/09/...ders_they.html

Says the guy who laughs about 9/11 victims. your outrage is duly noted and completely irrelevant because you don't care for them either.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

So you agree they look terrible that's all I wanted, this whole GOP reverence of 9/11 and their faux outrage is even more obvious.
    Haha, wtf. I mean they wanted the bill but they wanted changes. And... it seems they were right since it was changed. Idk, its bit hard to say they were being faux when it passed 3 months later with the revisions they requested. But if you want to use it as another reason to hate Reps go ahead.

I did it find it interesting that Schumer was the lead in rewriting and making the changes the Reps wanted, that's pretty cool.

Haha, wtf. I mean they wanted the bill but they wanted changes. And... it seems they were right since it was changed. Idk, its bit hard to say they were being faux when it passed 3 months later with the revisions they requested. But if you want to use it as another reason to hate Reps go ahead.

I did it find it interesting that Schumer was the lead in rewriting and making the changes the Reps wanted, that's pretty cool.
    Except republicans had control of both house of congress so they could have rewritten the bill or redone it at anytime.

Except republicans had control of both house of congress so they could have rewritten the bill or redone it at anytime.
    This was a Dem bill though. And it was changed right after, with the excise tax removed. So in theory they were right, politically the ones that opposed looked bad. Its weird that you can be right but look politically wrong, but whatever. I don't think its as big of a deal as the OP or author is trying to make it and they look bad omitting very important facts, especially since this happened 7yrs ago. Because they are trying to make it look like they were totally against it when they just wanted changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    Says the guy who laughs about 9/11 victims. your outrage is duly noted and completely irrelevant because you don't care for them either.
    You're quite right that my personal opinions on 9/11 are irrelevant to the GOP's hypocrisy on this matter, thanks for pointing that out.

You're quite right that my personal opinions on 9/11 are irrelevant to the GOP's hypocrisy on this matter, thanks for pointing that out.
    No, your outrage is irrelevant.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Here's an article from February this year showing that the 9/11 first responders are still fighting to get health care:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/911-...ry?id=61305025

- - - Updated - - -

No, your outrage is irrelevant.
    Outrage? Hardly, I've seen enough rank Republican hypocrisy to last a lifetime, this doesn't outrage me or frankly even raise an eyebrow at this points. Conservatives gonna hypocrite.

Just pointing it out once again.

10+ Year Old Account

So you are upset about some people doing something but other people aren't allowed to be upset about some people doing something... Is that your testimony?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Outrage? Hardly, I've seen enough rank Republican hypocrisy to last a lifetime, this doesn't outrage me or frankly even raise an eyebrow at this points. Conservatives gonna hypocrite.

Just pointing it out once again.
    yes, thats why your outrage is fake. you're not upset that the GOP held this bill hostage, no you are HAPPY about it. You wanted more harm on folks in the US. that's all you ever want.

This is like 2 1/2 years old news. Should we post threads about tide pods? That would be even more relevant than this.

yes, thats why your outrage is fake. you're not upset that the GOP held this bill hostage, no you are HAPPY about it. You wanted more harm on folks in the US. that's all you ever want.
    Why would I be happy about the GOP being a bunch of lying, disingenuous hypocrites? Exactly the sort of people I spend all my time on here arguing with?

I think you're projecting here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    So you are upset about some people doing something but other people aren't allowed to be upset about some people doing something... Is that your testimony?
    I just finished explaining that I'm not upset. Please try to keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    This is like 2 1/2 years old news. Should we post threads about tide pods? That would be even more relevant than this.
    Mmmm, it's not like this is relevant to their current behaviour or anything.

Also, posted a link to the fact that this is still ongoing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would I be happy about the GOP being a bunch of lying, disingenuous hypocrites? Exactly the sort of people I spend all my time on here arguing with?

I think you're projecting here.

- - - Updated - - -

I just finished explaining that I'm not upset. Please try to keep up.

Mmmm, it's not like this is relevant to their current behaviour or anything.

Also, posted a link to the fact that this is still ongoing.
    Oh I'm quite current... and my statement still stands... you were something enough to bring up a 2.5 year old event... If you aren't upset what would you like to flail your arms about and characterize your emotion as?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    you don't care about 9/11 op.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.