Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post

You never actually argued why it's frustrating they pointed out she's a woman. Why would you be frustrated about that?
    if it were some 60 year old white man jumping for joy, i would be just as frustrated. this is a huge deal for science, but it's like the news thinks we are too dumb to comprehend or care about it unless they add a reaction video or picture.

i'm 32 years old. i've grown up seeing women fire fighters, police, astronauts, doctors, race car drivers, etc. this is very normal to me. i've never questioned it. if a woman is the best person for the job, she should get the job. but now it's like this "hey guys, women are powerful!" it pisses me off that it's such a key talking point these days. it's never been abnormal to me.

i don't want to sound like a crazy person, but i swear the media spins shit and reports things in a manor that makes modern men feel like we've been oppressive our (my) whole lives which just isn't the case. i don't like being villainized.

i'm not saying it doesn't happen, but in my time i've seen many women doing just fine, far better than a lot of men.
    Last edited by Vargulf the Happy Husky; 2019-04-15 at 11:55 AM.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Forogil View Post

I hope you mean "astronomers" and "astrophysicists", not "astrologists" :-)
    yes, sorry, thank you, that'll be my dyslexia. :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    What's more surprising is a grad student getting actual recognition. Given the fact that projects like these are often composed of at least tens, sometimes hundreds of different scientists (ranging from those with decades of experience, down to us lowly post grads, even undergrads). Often the younger contributors are overlooked.
    Obviously grad students don't get the credit: Katie Bouman graduated in 2017 and will start as assistant professor later this year, whereas Sara Issaoun (who co-led one of the other teams) is a Ph.D. student.

I would say that the major change recently is the growing importance of being visible in the media and Katie Bouman has made a TEDx about the subject (but it seems those ideas weren't directly used).

Quote Originally Posted by Kharadin View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this one grad student was given the job of 'DO ALL THE CODE' which could well be the case.
    Well, not one student in this case, since they had multiple teams to ensure that the results were robust.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Historically women have actually been the first to find a lot of different astronomical things
    And even more astrological things!

You don't even realize your own misogynistic views and that's the problem.
    come fix me, daddy.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I think the issue people are taking offence with is that she only wrote 50,000 lines of code not the rest of the 850,000 and you have to really search for the guy's name who did that...

I think people are just tired of people being prompted up who while they helped were not the driving force behind it.
    did you even read the story? majority of that code wasn't "written"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    >she created 6% of the algorithm

Ftfy

majority of code was what though? It says right in the fucking article by the fucking guy it was mostly model code and data and the guy said of actually written code there were maybe 65k lines so if she wrote 50k lines... that's a lot of fucking percentage, let's do simple math!

That's 77%!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    They didn't use her algorithm. She didn't create anything they used and she only wrote 1600 of the 800k or so lines of code.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, this isn't a sexist rant. It's common fucking sense and it took a team many people and dozens of research facilities contributed. Jesus christ, I hate the race to see what genitals a person has between their legs instead of the magnificent discovery that was made.
    Why are you focusing on the 800k lines when it was already said by a member of the team that much of that wasn't written code? Data points != written code

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    "I'm so excited that we finally get to share what we have been working on for the past year! The image shown today is the combination of images produced by multiple methods. No one algorithm or person made this image, it required the amazing talent of a team of scientists from around the globe and years of hard work to develop the instrument, data processing, imaging methods, and analysis techniques that were necessary to pull off this seemingly impossible feat. It has been truly an honor, and I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to work with you all." Dr Katie Bouman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    come fix me, daddy.
    Bend over!

/s

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    "I'm so excited that we finally get to share what we have been working on for the past year! The image shown today is the combination of images produced by multiple methods. No one algorithm or person made this image, it required the amazing talent of a team of scientists from around the globe and years of hard work to develop the instrument, data processing, imaging methods, and analysis techniques that were necessary to pull off this seemingly impossible feat. It has been truly an honor, and I am so lucky to have had the opportunity to work with you all." Dr Katie Bouman.
    This. (I can't believe I'm agreeing/acknowledging something Theo posted)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

ITT: a bunch of people who know dick about computer science claiming that because someone didn't write the most lines, they didn't create the image compilation algorithm.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    This. (I can't believe I'm agreeing/acknowledging something Theo posted)
    Thanks but no thanks for the backhanded insult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    And here I was thinking that the immediate online reaction was all the curiosity surrounding the subject along with all the memes about the black hole.
    I thought it would be immature dumb jokes about holes. Then it turned into this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    Why are people upset that a woman has been credited this? It feels like a pretty pointed reason.
    Seems like it's the mindset of someone who doesn't have interest in the specific content and would rather discuss the demographics of the person who was involved in the content.

edit: Now I'm wondering how much commenting was in said tens of thousands of lines of code!
    Last edited by Kraenen; 2019-04-17 at 03:25 AM.

First reaction: Butt hole.

Where's my medal?
    "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen."

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    ITT: a bunch of people who know dick about computer science claiming that because someone didn't write the most lines, they didn't create the image compilation algorithm.
    Point is she didn't create the algorithm either, she was a co team-lead of one of four teams that created that together. She's only praised by the press because of wamen in tech.

You seem to not understand that women have been under represented to a large degree and even oppressed for decades in the STEM field. They've been given little to no respect and it's had a huge impact on deterring them from even attempting to go into those fields.

You don't even realize your own misogynistic views and that's the problem.
    The only one with misogynistic views is you. Completely minimizing and removing the role that women have played and recieved credit for with regards to scientific discovery in much of history. Instead you remove the credit from the team as a whole and want to give to one singular women who while she played an important role was part of 200 plus people including other women. Instead people like you want to point to her as a unicorn as though it's a miracle for a woman to do well in sience. That right there is actual misogyny.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    The problem is what she "discoved" is garbage.
    That picture is completely useless.

If it is something useful, we would be happy for her.
    The picture basically proves that Einstein's theories hold up even at the greatest extremes of gravity and matches the simulation created under that assumption. That is far from useless. The probelm is the work of the 200 person team being minimized the work was incredibly important.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Bouman's getting personal recognition because it's her innovations and leadership that produced the result. This is totally normal reporting procedure. It doesn't mean she did all the work, and nobody's arguing that.

Nobody would have blinked if her name was David Bouman and the story was reported in exactly the same manner.
    The story wouldn't be constantly popping up if it was a dude and nobody would be screaming sexism when he and others of the project were also pushing to recognize the team as a whole. But hey it's totally not misogynistic to treat a women being part of a great scientific achievement like it was a miracle or anything.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Thanks but no thanks for the backhanded insult.
    Technically, it really isn't an insult, just a declaration of incredulity that I'm agreeing with you on something. I didn't insinuate you were any less than I, just that our opinions frequently differ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dip shits on social media are making it out to be all her, but I have yet to read a publication that doesnt give full credit and respect to the entire team, and most articles don't even focus on her. This is one of those stupid fake twitter outrage narratives that people who are looking for perpetual butt-hurtness latch to.

If you look at the code on GITHub (its open source), you can see she committed lots of code. So did a other people. These people worked their asses off, there are hundreds of thousands of lines of code in this project.

When have I once advocated for giving credit to a single woman over the team? You should also probably learn the definition of simple words before using them.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you even think about what you just typed? You contradicted yourself within two sentences. How is

consistent with

Are you saying she didn't deserve any credit?

- - - Updated - - -

It's just a literal quote. So, technically you're not.
    Please say exactly which word I misused so I can laugh at your ignorance.

I like how Sarah is complaining about conspiracy theorists when she thought a story about 3 isis members being attacked by boars was some sort of anti Muslim conspiracy.

What's the point? You've already resorted to blatantly lying about what I said.
    I didn't lie now answer the question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    I like how Sarah is complaining about conspiracy theorists when she thought a story about 3 isis members being attacked by boars was some sort of anti Muslim conspiracy.
    Maybe those boars really were.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.