Poll: What is your experience with Role Play in Online Gaming?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I have to admit, I think I have only ever tried to RP like a handful of times in my life, and I found I was terrible at it, between getting yelled at for not doing it right, or over all completely being confused as to the point.

Reading articles like this really throw me. So more to the point of this thread.

What is your experience with RP, Role play, and have you ever done it?

Also if you do RP, what are tips does and don't's if you ever been successful and what is your over all opinion about say WoW servers or any other game license?
    Many years ago I did an LFG run in one of the bug themed wotlk dungeons. It was really early in the morning and I was still having my coffee. I got grouped up with 4 guys from some RP guild that did the entire dungeon as characters from Star Wars. I kept thinking to myself that any time now I will wake up. Weirdest WoW experience I ever had.

NoPixel is pretty interesting. My brother got in before the sign up shut down and has gained quite the following on Twitch now and has becoming partnered / full time. It's insane to see how much it's grown. I'm really not in to the whole roleplay thing but watching those guys clown around in the story lines kind of makes me want to try it.

Aren't players mean to everyone?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

5+ Year Old Account
    Tbh I RPed on forums when I was in middle school. But that was mostly anime bs

I occasionally get curious and go onto WoW's RP servers just to watch. It's really interesting to read people's stories and how everyone interacts together. What I don't like are people who are overly sensitive or those who overly police. It's why I never dared joined a guild,bc I was worried it'd either be a #safespace or a "As an English Major..."
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Now if only they’d do that in real life...
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Dreadlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    That title... Though I can see people being mean to police in GTA I mean the game is kinda built around being a criminal what criminal would be nice to the police lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    This is generally what I think of when I hear GTAV rping.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/ObedientCred...tt_content=url
    What did I just watch...?

lol

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    People think the real cops are bad? They obviously haven't heard of GTA cops.
    Bait much? (Hint: If your "wanted" level is high enough, you'll be shot on sight.)

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    What did I just watch...?

lol
    Apparently the context is Brenda is a hospital receptionist who was going to do a job interview with a real estate agent to be his personal assistant. She got excited about entering the house working, ran around, and accidentally punched the guy in the face when she was trying to do a celebratory gesture.

I have to admit, I think I have only ever tried to RP like a handful of times in my life, and I found I was terrible at it, between getting yelled at for not doing it right, or over all completely being confused as to the point.

Reading articles like this really throw me. So more to the point of this thread.

Also if you do RP, what are tips does and don't's if you ever been successful and what is your over all opinion about say WoW servers or any other game license?
    So..... you are confused... by a bunch of teenagers... roleplaying as thugs... are mad that a few people like to RP as cops.. you must be new to the internet

Quote Originally Posted by VanishingAct View Post
    Thats the point of role play. But the psychological aspect of these kinds of things is a great read. Especially the infamous case study of making say 20 people play as prison guards and 20 people play as prisoners and watch the psychological conditioning play out, is golden.
    That was the Stanford Prison Experiment. Was meant to be a 2 week study and had to be cancelled after 6 days.

The site is https://www.prisonexp.org/setting-up.

12 prisoners and 12 guards.

It's pretty compelling stuff, especially because in America we see prison as meant to be harsh and punitive, not rehabilitative.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    i am relentless and have the power of alleria to aid me. 1 blood elf is comparable to 500 draenei.
    What you should have said is that 1 blood elf is worth 500 draenei...without pants.

Pretty sure if the draenei are dressed, that ratio narrows significantly...

Quote Originally Posted by stuntdaniel View Post
    Its just because GTA is game not a reality
    Too bad the OP didn't think about this for five seconds before posting

10+ Year Old Account

Unable to vote in the poll as there is no positive choice describing the use of roleplay, and still doing so. Unless of course this poll is about RP in GTA, then no, have never and will never.

As for the topic of this thread on the other hand, this is Grand Theft Auto, doesn't matter if online or not. This game is built to make life shit for the police.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Shit poll. It's also a video game. Who cares if people kill the cops in it? People were upset in 2014 that people were being mean to women in GTA V while GG was at an all time high. I seem to remember someone claiming they were raped in game... hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Good luck with that, you're outnumbered by 500 to 1 there.
    Then it is a fair fight.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had been doing roleplaying in wow for years, including as a Stormwind city guard, but I eventually figured that it's kinda wasted time to play with random people and gave up on it. If you are only playing in a small exclusive group of friends then it can work, but playing with randoms just invites too much stress and doesn't work out because of meta or power playing. Especially as a guard, like, I could write a book about my experiences and the type of players you encounter. At one point, our old captain (or was it the sergeant?) just lost it and shot every meta or power player with a crossbow when they started acting out and then they were literally dead to us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
    That was the Stanford Prison Experiment. Was meant to be a 2 week study and had to be cancelled after 6 days.

The site is https://www.prisonexp.org/setting-up.

12 prisoners and 12 guards.

It's pretty compelling stuff, especially because in America we see prison as meant to be harsh and punitive, not rehabilitative.

- - - Updated - - -

What you should have said is that 1 blood elf is worth 500 draenei...without pants.

Pretty sure if the draenei are dressed, that ratio narrows significantly...
    more like 1 blood elf without pants is worth 500 draenei without pants.
    those floozies can't take me.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Shit poll. It's also a video game. Who cares if people kill the cops in it? People were upset in 2014 that people were being mean to women in GTA V while GG was at an all time high. I seem to remember someone claiming they were raped in game... hmmm...
    Works for Bioware, go figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be completely honest, I never imagined to see "GTA" and "RP" together in one sentence.
    Other than "there is no RP in GTA are you crazy its an over the top organised crime / carjacking simulator".
    Looking marvelous in velvet.