Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Does anyone else resent what Blizz did in Dazar'alor? (Vastly different events HvsA)

Now, don't get me wrong, the idea of playing both sides of a battle to get what went on is interesting.

What's not cool is when the Horde version of what was said to Rastakhan is 'blatant lies' and there's no real question around it, and the Alliance version which is 'real' is obviously much more tame.

It doesn't build intrigue, it just feels like Blizz lazily trying to build conflict.

Southern Barrens did it better.
    Twas brillig

Yeah, I am not a fan of the "different sides see the same event differently" approach. One side missing context can be fair enough, but this is a bit much. I don't know what satisfaction there is to players being convinced that something false is true.
    I give them point for at least trying to work with the medium that they have for once, instead of trying to tell the story as though it was a book even though it isn't, but I'm definetly not a fan.

Though to be honest I am also part of the group that has completely dissociated his character's faction from the plot, I enjoy the story more as an omniscient being not "attached" to either faction.

I definitely think "this is someone biased telling you the story" was a device that got lost in the attempt. It's not intuitive and just feels like they're trying to show "war is full of lies" by actually lying to the player. The player has always been kind of an omniscient eye to events, and this attempt to muddy that felt... like you say, lazy, and forced.

Let me guess, when the Alliance players get switched to Horde for the last 3 bosses there is no difference in the lines?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Let me guess, when the Alliance players get switched to Horde for the last 3 bosses there is no difference in the lines?
    Right you are.

I don't mind it, I like it when settings remember that the actual characters in game are not all-knowing and have to work with imperfect means of information and propaganda. I dislike that it's pointless because we spend the next two patches as Horde helping Jaina kill our own side, but hey.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Now, don't get me wrong, the idea of playing both sides of a battle to get what went on is interesting.

What's not cool is when the Horde version of what was said to Rastakhan is 'blatant lies' and there's no real question around it, and the Alliance version which is 'real' is obviously much more tame.

It doesn't build intrigue, it just feels like Blizz lazily trying to build conflict.

Southern Barrens did it better.
    Resent? No. Not even a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Right you are.

I don't mind it, I like it when settings remember that the actual characters in game are not all-knowing and have to work with imperfect means of information and propaganda. I dislike that it's pointless because we spend the next two patches as Horde helping Jaina kill our own side, but hey.
    Yeah, that's kind of stupid, that so quickly after almost killing her, she just turns around and goes "Oh well, that was then and this is now", and all the horde players are supposed to go "Yeah, you're right, lead the way Jaina!", i can imagine such a turn over time (I'm talking years, not weeks), but this quickly? That's sitcom-level amnesia we're supposed to just overlook...

Quote Originally Posted by mysticx View Post
    Yeah, that's kind of stupid, that so quickly after almost killing her, she just turns around and goes "Oh well, that was then and this is now", and all the horde players are supposed to go "Yeah, you're right, lead the way Jaina!", i can imagine such a turn over time (I'm talking years, not weeks), but this quickly? That's sitcom-level amnesia we're supposed to just overlook...
    Night elf fans get forced to work with Saurfang and to save dark rangers so the shafting goes both ways. But for Horde the Jaina thing is just absurd. I had quests to kill her not a patch ago and now I'm supposed to consider helping her at teh cost of killing my own side to be an unassailable moral good.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    Night elf fans get forced to work with Saurfang and to save dark rangers so the shafting goes both ways. But for Horde the Jaina thing is just absurd. I had quests to kill her not a patch ago and now I'm supposed to consider helping her at teh cost of killing my own side to be an unassailable moral good.
    Well, there's the Alliance side too, having to help Saurfang's little rebellion while he's responsible for what happened in Ashenvale and Darkshore (He planned all that, Sylvanas just planted the evil cherry on top with "Burn it!", come to think of it, funny that all those siege weapons were already aimed at Teldrassil when she said that, but i digress...), but i guess we're used to our major NPCs going neutral for the greater good (Horde heroes die, Alliance ones go neutral, no faction pride to be had for either side), so that didn't even stick out to me anymore, the quick flip-flop time aside, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Actually you are told Jaina was giving lots of opportunity of surrender peacefully when all of her dialogues are snark remarks and how she will defeat the horde, also there is more trash to kill in that version
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Fans don't want to pay $15 a month for an experimental medium that lies to them. This isn't the right medium for twists and "gotcha" trickery.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    Fans don't want to pay $15 a month for an experimental medium that lies to them. This isn't the right medium for twists and "gotcha" trickery.
    but we have had quest and the such lie to us plenty of times in the past how is this different?

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    but we have had quest and the such lie to us plenty of times in the past how is this different?
    Because we know for a fact from the start that it's a lie
    Twas brillig

Bad writting has caused alot of problems with BFA. Getting to the point were its best to ignore the story and not bother with the books anymore.

No I think its pretty cool.

Characters lying or re-telling events in exaggerating or bending words to make it sound a certain way is indeed a good thing to have. Because that's how real life works.
    Problem with many things in the story is that it isn't delivered properly.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-04-19 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Normally we find out that it's a lie by the end of the quest chain. Here, anyone that plays a single faction and does not browse wow lore on the internet (a big portion of the playerbase, I am sure) could go the rest of their lives believing that they were told the true version.

I thought it was a bad move for them to kill off Rastakhan at all tbh

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You all complain, but if you had it your way, it would be dull.

Imagine a Horde vs Alliance with fixed ideals, where there is no possible alliance, ever, just war.

That would not be fun, you would burn out of it.

Blizzard is actually doing it pretty well in the sense of realism; enemies at war have always met each other at some point and talk, earlier, later or even throughout the war.
    This comes to be the same.

Then of course you have a key factor... the Alliance is pretty glued together, only now the Night Elfs are on the edge of acting aside the rest, and the reason is obvious and understandable.

The Horde tho is on the brick of civil war thanks to Sylvanas current character, although it is a relief to see that all the Horde leaders are against her (reference being the aftermath of taking Baine under custody, if you go to talk to each of the leaders and important character present in Stormsong at that point, they all express their disagreement with Sylvanas, all but that Orc, who is none anyway.

To me that kinda preludes that the whole Horde will stop answering to Sylvanas and remain impassive, so she will keep on with her quest (whatever it is, we will find out soon), and eventually she might end up out of the Warchief seat, although I don´t think that she will be killed/arrested/similar, I think that they will simply go over her, ignore her and place a new warchief chosen by the Horde.

And I still think that something is going on with the true Sylvanas, somehow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Because we know for a fact from the start that it's a lie
    I think your problem and the problem of the like-minded individuals is that you can't disconnect your RL and Google from what's happening in-game.

Thing is - different factions have different perspectives and you don't really know what the other side knows and vice versa, at best you can guess if you were genuine about it. It's the same thing like Broken Shore opening - two factions take that event from their own PoV and this makes a lot of difference there even if the event is the same.

Then you have plain and simple game constraints on top of that too, for example it's plenty clear that Horde is the one that cleared Crucible of Storms, but both sides get to see it here because it would be stupid to not let both factions play the raid.

That's why instead of being crazy militant extremist about it, take a deep breath and simply enjoy the story. Oh right, I forgot, it's 2k19 and it's better to nitpick and produce faux outrages out of everything, my bad, please proceed.

BTW, consider this - it's true and natural in WoW.

Last edited by Gaidax; 2019-04-19 at 06:35 PM.