Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    I just don't think it's realistic for them to have an NVMe SSD in all the units. It won't make sense for them. And until we see actual units out in the open, or actual specs for it, I'll still be skeptical. "higher bandwitdth than any SSD on the market" would make literally no fucking sense, since there's basically nothing that can max out current NVMe x4 SSDs, and if they, for some reason, went PCIe 4.0 instead of 3, that'd give them roughly double the bandwidth, and 0 gain in any task, including game load times..

It'll just make a lot more sense to go with SATA

- - - Updated - - -

And they won't be getting it for those prices either. They'll be getting mass discounts, obviously, but nowhere near just the materials cost. A lot of the price you pay is logistics in getting stuff sent to you, which Sony wouldn't have to pay, but they'd still have to pay the IP and R&D prices
    Meh, for such a big contract, I could easily see it. Maybe I'm lowballing a bit, but at most $40-50.

https://www.dramexchange.com/#pc-client-oem-price

This should give an idea of standard pricing for normal contracts vs street.

I just don't think it's realistic for them to have an NVMe SSD in all the units. It won't make sense for them. And until we see actual units out in the open, or actual specs for it, I'll still be skeptical. "higher bandwitdth than any SSD on the market" would make literally no fucking sense, since there's basically nothing that can max out current NVMe x4 SSDs, and if they, for some reason, went PCIe 4.0 instead of 3, that'd give them roughly double the bandwidth, and 0 gain in any task, including game load times..

- - - Updated - - -

And they won't be getting it for those prices either. They'll be getting mass discounts, obviously, but nowhere near just the materials cost. A lot of the price you pay is logistics in getting stuff sent to you, which Sony wouldn't have to pay, but they'd still have to pay the IP and R&D prices
    Why isn't it realistic? While I don't think the SSDs they will get will outperform what's available to modern PC's I don't think NVMe SSD's for next gen will be out of the question...between how small they are physically and the prices dropping on them considerably and expected to drop even more this year I think it's very possible. Some people may why ask why I bring up physical size and it's simply that they are small enough to have serious amounts of storage and take up literally no extra space like current hard drives in each system do. They can make the new systems a little better ventilated or smaller design for the next generation. Both of which is something I feel they would want to do.

When I first bought my 250gb 960 Evo NVMe they were $130 each. Now I can get a 500gb 970 EVO plus for less than that. Hell one of my NVMe drives is a 1TB that I got for $120 on sale. It's not the best or fastest NVMe drive but I cared more about total storage over speed. My guess is later this year that will be the standard price for a middle ground NVMe SSD of that size...with higher end drives being $150ish. I don't believe next gen will offer 2TB drives though. I think 1TB will be the standard for the next gen consoles and both will come with the ability to add external storage. Anyways, my point is simple...with the price of NVMe drives expected to take a drastic nose dive this year and into next year, I think it's totally possible for them to be in next-gen systems...just not ones that rival top end NVMe's on PC.

I just don't think it's realistic for them
    So yet another random forum guy who is more knowledgeable on the situation then the lead architect of the hardware... lol...

5+ Year Old Account
    It's going to be a day one purchase for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah BC, plus the fact that even with their least successful console the PS3 didn't disappoint me, makes the PS5 a day one purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Yeah BC, plus the fact that even with their least successful console the PS3 didn't disappoint me, makes the PS5 a day one purchase.
    I can understand some day one purchases, like games and such. But saying this is day one when you don't even know if there will be worthwhile launch games?

10+ Year Old Account
    hopefully they stop with console exclusives -.-

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    People don't buy consoles because they can't afford PC's - that hasn't been a thing for at least 10 years - it's because consoles are at their core, far more social than PC's. All of my friends own either a PS4 or xbox, whereas I know less than 5 people irl who play PC
    Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal, you play PC mostly and you find mostly pc players; you play console mostly and you find mostly console players.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    hopefully they stop with console exclusives -.-
    Not going to happen, Sony, MS, Nintendo, they all own studios left and right.

If the performance specs are as they say they are (rumoured to be 3rd gen Ryzen chips among other stuff) then the next gen PS will probably make me switch from PC full time. That SSD is the icing on the cake for me.

Most of my AAA and MMO gaming is done on PS4 these days with ESO, FF14 and the AAA stuff and hell Indie titles these days.

And with how well this gen did with Indie titles I expect to see more on next gen. Same with FF14 and ESO.

What I wonder is will the backwards compatibility take advantage of the PS5 hardware and allow for 60 FPS or close to 60 on those games or will they need to have a PS5 version made for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    What I wonder is will the backwards compatibility take advantage of the PS5 hardware and allow for 60 FPS or close to 60 on those games or will they need to have a PS5 version made for that?
    Probably not, that would usually require work from the developers to update their games to support the higher framerates, some of which would likely require a lot of extra work as a result.

What it will likely do is what we're seeing with Xbox 360 titles getting ported over - much smoother, more stable performance with some decent resolution bumps and possibly some extra graphical goodies. Though apparently Microsoft is doing most of the heavy lifting with those ports, I'm not sure if Sony would want to do that or if they'd be able to get developers to do the work themselves.

Good example, FFXIII, which Digital Foundry did a great video on -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    I can understand some day one purchases, like games and such. But saying this is day one when you don't even know if there will be worthwhile launch games?
    Did you miss the part where I said that their consoles have never disappointed me? Sony always has the library. Always.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Did you miss the part where I said that their consoles have never disappointed me? Sony always has the library. Always.
    Well yea, eventually, it takes time to produce games. Buying day one is just wasting money unless there's something you HAVE to play.

Well yea, eventually, it takes time to produce games. Buying day one is just wasting money unless there's something you HAVE to play.
    Oh man the judgmental vibe this post is bringing off... can't contain it.

If you wait on buying a console for a few years you save money yes... you also lose years of relevance out of the console as well. There is just as much value in early adoption as there is in mid gen adoption and what you want to do will come down to personal preference. Playing the "waste of money" card is hilarious when talking about a console that will be relevant for 6 years or so being bought at $400-500.

if it's backwards compatible launch games don't matter as much(yes they matter, but not as much if you have a huge library to play going in versus this current gen when neither had any worthwhile launch games and neither were BC).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    People don't buy consoles because they can't afford PC's - that hasn't been a thing for at least 10 years - it's because consoles are at their core, far more social than PC's. All of my friends own either a PS4 or xbox, whereas I know less than 5 people irl who play PC
    that's kind of a loaded thing to say...just because you know less people who game on PC vs console doesn't mean that's the case. PC gaming is growing big time every year. Most of my friends have moved over to PC gaming now...as we've gotten older and have more money we're more willing to go the PC route. I also know that isn't the case for everyone...

In the case of your actual comment, I would say people gravitate to consoles because you get it, open the box and it works for years on end(hoping that no issues happen during the warranty). A PC can have various issues a console won't have. Another reason people will gravitate towards consoles is because there's still a lot of people who believe you HAVE to upgrade the graphics card and other components annually.

Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    if it's backwards compatible launch games don't matter as much(yes they matter, but not as much if you have a huge library to play going in versus this current gen when neither had any worthwhile launch games and neither were BC).
    If you have a bunch of ps4 games then you probably have a ps4, so that's not really a valid reason off the bat.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Oh man the judgmental vibe this post is bringing off... can't contain it.

If you wait on buying a console for a few years you save money yes... you also lose years of relevance out of the console as well. There is just as much value in early adoption as there is in mid gen adoption and what you want to do will come down to personal preference. Playing the "waste of money" card is hilarious when talking about a console that will be relevant for 6 years or so being bought at $400-500.
    It's not "years" you can generally start catching them on sale 6-12 months down the line when there is much more to play on them. Plus you avoid launch issues.

It's not "years" you can generally start catching them on sale 6-12 months down the line when there is much more to play on them. Plus you avoid launch issues.
    This is false. The PS4 didn't start being regularly discounted until it's 3rd holiday season. To put that in perspective that is literally months and months after Witcher 3 and Bloodborne even.

The Switch has entered it's 3rd year just now and has not seen regular discounts at all yet.

The Xbox One got discounted faster... but that's because they where literally getting thrashed and had to try to do something to stop the bleeding.

"Launch issues" Still have launch PS3 and launch PS4 that work perfectly fine. You're just as likely to encounter hardware problems on non launch hardware as you are on launch. This is tin foil feel craft theory. Prove me wrong, good luck.

Nice wrong information my dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    This is false. The PS4 didn't start being regularly discounted until it's 3rd holiday season. To put that in perspective that is literally months and months after Witcher 3 and Bloodborne even.

The Switch has entered it's 3rd year just now and has not seen regular discounts at all yet.

The Xbox One got discounted faster... but that's because they where literally getting thrashed and had to try to do something to stop the bleeding.

Nice wrong information my dude.
    Not regular discounts sales, nice cherry picking dude. We're not talking about the fact that you can get an Xbone 25/7 for 250 or under, but once in a blue moon sales or bundles.

No, it wouldn't. SATA tops out at 520 MB/sec give or take after overhead. NVMe has a read throughput of 2.7-3 GB/sec, closer to the 2.7 mark for high end drives after overhead, and about 2.0-2.2 for most other drives (sequential large reads - 4k random reads will drop to about 300 MB/sec, which is still far above SATA). NVMe drives have far higher IOPS than SATA does and that alone makes it worthwhile. But if you're somehow convinced that 520 MB/sec max is better than 2-2.7 GB/sec max, I dunno what to tell you.

Where NVMe will require design decisions is in the cooling aspect. M.2 drives need decent external cooling (heatsinks or thermal pad coupling the drive with the console chassis), otherwise they'll thermally throttle. A U.2 2.5" or 3.5" drive can use its own enclosure as a giant heatsink for that purpose while maintaining full NVMe bandwidth and protocol support. U.2 makes the most sense in a next gen console as it gives NVMe performance with enhanced cooling. But you know Sony, I mean "more bandwidth than anything on the market" indicates PCIe 4.0, but that still leaves it unknown what form factor the SSD will be in. And if it isn't user replaceable, that could make the console bomb, so I'm hoping for PCIe 4.0 using a U.2 connection.

Yeah, I know, pipe dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    And if it isn't user replaceable, that could make the console bomb, so I'm hoping for PCIe 4.0 using a U.2 connection.
    While it would be a problem, I doubt anyone but apple and a few others would be THAT stupid.

Not regular discounts sales, nice cherry picking dude. We're not talking about the fact that you can get an Xbone 25/7 for 250 or under, but once in a blue moon sales or bundles.
    The PS4 was virtually $400 EVERYWHERE until it's 3rd holiday season. Finding it on sale was like trying to find a unicorn in real life. Not sure why you're trying to goal post shift to "but but but maybe I can find it on sale for $25 off from some shady ebay retailer bro! GOTCHA!" logic. lmao.