Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Globes not warming were in a cooling period.
    Ahh, I see. You know, that TOTALLY explains why the overall trend over the last like, 7+ decades has been steadily upwards: Everybody was just holding their thermometers up-side down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    No, technically he is correct. He just seems to think that a few months long decrease in temperature (it's called winter, dumbass) is somehow more important than a multi decade long trend in large upward increase in temperature.

Send in the drones. One's enough to cause havoc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    What have you done personally to reduce global warming?
    Nothing you can do personally will reduce global warming. It's completely a systemic issue, and framing it as one of individual responsibility is just a ruse concocted by the people running the system.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Its been great seeing these protests, I dont think its too much to ask from old people to allow us to grow up in a planet that isnt dead, they've taken pretty much everything else.

Exponential increase of production, followed up by a global decay of diversity. It's not unrealistic to assume we wont last a few generations. Theres a reason almost every scientist (bar the hacks) around the world have been warning us.

Edit: I recall Stephen Hawking giving us roughly 600 years, and its not like anythings getting better.
    Yea but Hawkins wasn't just talking about climate change, he was factoring in all the other possible extinction events, there likly hood and the time since the last one, he was also talking major extinction event of which there's been 6 on the earth, global warming would be a minor mass extinction that's happend hundreds of times in earth history.

Activism that crosses the line (shutting down essential services) should be punishable by law enforcement. To address Climate Change we need a systematic approach as others have said. As long as countries like China and the USA do little, the future outlook is bleak.

I once sat in a field and talked some cows down in a condescending manner when they farted.

This is all pointless. Especially the Carbon tax in Canada that's just a government money grab.

US/Canada/Europe could all stop using cars and it wouldn't change ANYTHING as long as China and India keep doing w/e they want. So why bother, it's a waste of time/money and effort when half the world populace doesn't care

Yes, let's return Europe and NA to the stone age while 6 billion people on other continents breed uncontrollably and decimate natural resources and climate.
    Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the unclean.

There is nothing we can proactively do. Solar will replace fossil fuels over the next 10 years. Then carbon emissions will collapse and then we just ride out the increase in temperature over the next 100 years or so before it falls again. There is no government program nor any legislation that can speed up this process to any significant measure.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by CryotriX View Post
    Nothing, because systemic change requires systemic action to counter.
    And since India and China are doing FAQ ALL to fight pollution, nothing's gonna change.
    Last edited by Jshadowhunter; 2019-04-20 at 09:06 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    I have switched over to LED lighting where possible. Put on a new metal roof on our house 2 years ago which reduces the heat in the attic and thus, reduces the need for the AC to kick in. But I need to be honest, this was done to reduce costs for myself. So I had personal goals in mind. But in a very minute tiny way, it did help reduce the needs for the local electric company which helped them produce less co2 emissions.
    That's not how it works though.
    The surplus of power generated by a powerplant gets exported elsewhere or simply ends up not being used at all and thus is wasted. In your case, it is likely just lost energy that you ended up not using anymore, so no CO2 emissions were reduced in the process.

People really have no clue how little influence we have in the western world on climate change. They also fail to notice, or perhaps ignore, how much things have already massively improved in the west, and how much it continues to improve. Instead, eager to signal how virtuous they are, they try to tear apart the economy and raise tax after tax, pretending it will have any meaningful impact.

All you need to do is look it up, we have reached a point where the climate is no longer in our hands. As places like LA improves drastically over the decades, places like China and India are the worst they've ever been. The fact of the matter is, North America and Europe could cease to exist, and it would have next to no effect on anything climate or pollution related.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by Danuru View Post
    People really have no clue how little influence we have in the western world on climate change. They also fail to notice, or perhaps ignore, how much things have already massively improved in the west, and how much it continues to improve. Instead, eager to signal how virtuous they are, they try to tear apart the economy and raise tax after tax, pretending it will have any meaningful impact.

All you need to do is look it up, we have reached a point where the climate is no longer in our hands. As places like LA improves drastically over the decades, places like China and India are the worst they've ever been. The fact of the matter is, North America and Europe could cease to exist, and it would have next to no effect on anything climate or pollution related.
    Don't forget that part of the reason NA and EU is doing so well, is because we exported much of the polluting factories to china and india, which is not calculated as our emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuji V2 View Post
    That's not how it works though.
    The surplus of power generated by a powerplant gets exported elsewhere or simply ends up not being used at all and thus is wasted. In your case, it is likely just lost energy that you ended up not using anymore, so no CO2 emissions were reduced in the process.
    That is not how it works.

You cannot just "waste electric power" like that; some plants need to produce less power and thus produce less CO2 (unless it is hydro, nuclear, etc). In some cases excess power is stored - and used later, and in really exceptional cases companies are paid to use the excess.

However, which plant is stopped/reduced depends on the minute-by-minute demand and costs for startup etc, and ideally the worst plants are only turned on for the highest demands, and ideally "worst plants" are thus that produce most CO2 per kWh. Reduced AC seems like something that helps with reducing the peak demands, and thus should help with CO2-emissions.

Quote Originally Posted by zox2 View Post
    Don't forget that part of the reason NA and EU is doing so well, is because we exported much of the polluting factories to china and india, which is not calculated as our emissions.
    Partly, but I'd wager it would be quite a small minority of our pollution. Los Angeles, for example, was never a big industrial center, that was mostly in the rust belt. A lot of it has to do with transportation simply becoming a lot cleaner. Vehicles burn fuel a lot more efficiently now. And a lot of it does have to do with regulations, but there is a right way to do it and a wrong way.

In the US, companies are subjected to these regulations, but if you slam them down at every opportunity, over tax them, and overall, make business in the western world unpleasant, and even worse, unprofitable, they'll move their industry elsewhere. Somewhere that they won't have to worry about either regulation or self righteous protesters. We are at a point of diminishing returns, there is no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

These protesters are potentially doing more to harm their cause than help it. We ought to be encouraging manufacturers to stay within the developed world, where we already have laws in place to help limit pollution. Instead, people seem far to eager to chase them off with torches and pitchforks, which help nobody.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Agreed, but also most large protests should break the law, if they seek to be effective.
    I don't agree with that. A protest can still be effective if it's organized well and executed properly (and no infiltration is carried out). I don't think interrupting and inconveniencing the lives of others sits too well with your cause.

10+ Year Old Account
    - I don't ever intend to have children, since more people means for shit produced.
    - I don't drive so either take a bus or walk places
    - I recycle what I can
    - I save all my plastic bags or use reusable ones I keep on me when out.
    - I don't buy many new cloths often, just wear out the old
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I recycle, I cycle to work rather than drive etc, but ultimately, it doesn't matter what I or any average Joe does when these mega corporations in china, US, india etc are not accountable for the damage they do.
    This right here. You can talk about how much we do to improve things, but it does matter for shit, not if the ones in power and industry don't change.

And they won't, because they have so much power and influence they don't change. These places will keep tearing town forests, using up none reusable resources, at whatever makes the machines run quicker, because profit and power matters more then what negative impact of has
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Globes not warming were in a cooling period.
    Tell that to the icebergs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    I mean that isn't to say we shouldn't make an effort on a personal level, every little does help. But still, normal people aren't whats killing the planet.
    The thing with something like this is those on the ground trying to make a difference can't be seen by the ones in their ivory towers.
    It's only when the impact of their selfishness reaches them do they realise they fucked up, and by then it'll probably be to late.

Unless each country which is responsible for this, its leaders, force laws to make these industries conform to a universal standard, then nothing will change
    #boycottchina