Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    We need another Super Hero MMO
    There are actually three self-appointed CoH successors: City of Titans, Ship of Heroes and Valiance Online. Ship of Heroes will hit beta by the end of this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    There are actually three self-appointed CoH successors: City of Titans, Ship of Heroes and Valiance Online. Ship of Heroes will hit beta by the end of this year.
    wow I didn;t know about any of them :O

I'll check them out
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

What I don't really understand is why a company like NCsoft will sit on the rights to a game like CoH, not using it, not profiting from it, not....anything from it. But the second they catch wind of someone running a private server: CEASE AND DESIST!!!! TROLOLOLOLOL!!!!"

I mean, I get that technically they need to protect ownership of their IP or whatever. But they're literally not doing anything with it anyway. Guess they have to hold out for the off chance some powerball winner will throw them $100 for the rights or something, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Meh, they all look pretty bad. I know they're still in development, but if they can't even match the existing games of Champions Online or DCUO, they don't stand much of a chance. Really, I almost think they'd be better off taking their combined crowd-funding and throwing a pitch at NCsoft to sell them the rights to CoX and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I mean, I get that technically they need to protect ownership of their IP or whatever. But they're literally not doing anything with it anyway. Guess they have to hold out for the off chance some powerball winner will throw them $100 for the rights or something, I guess.
    There have been offers, apparently, just none sufficient. Remember, they have a huge amount of money invested in the IP over the years - from funding the initial game with Cryptic for years, to buying the IP out from Cryptic and taking it internal, to forming Paragron to continue running it for years and years.

They're not just going to dump it for cheap, it represents a considerable financial (and time) investment for them. I'd love to see them figure out a way to let private servers operate while maintaining total control over the IP, but let's be real - that's a really, really, really low "priority" for them right now.

10+ Year Old Account

Meh, they all look pretty bad. I know they're still in development, but if they can't even match the existing games of Champions Online or DCUO, they don't stand much of a chance. Really, I almost think they'd be better off taking their combined crowd-funding and throwing a pitch at NCsoft to sell them the rights to CoX and go from there.
    How is Champions Online doing now? I haven't played since 2011, when they started hiding power sets behind a paywall

Think i'll return see if my heroes are still there. that game was a hell of a lot of fun.

How is Champions Online doing now? I haven't played since 2011, when they started hiding power sets behind a paywall

Think i'll return see if my heroes are still there. that game was a hell of a lot of fun.
    It's alive, but hasn't been supported super well since it's not doing hot (and never really has). Still has tons of locked power sets etc. behind paywalls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It's alive, but hasn't been supported super well since it's not doing hot (and never really has). Still has tons of locked power sets etc. behind paywalls.
    thats a shame, I do have pretty good memories of that game probably one of my most played MMO's outside of WoW... cannot believe its been 10 years since that games release.. where did that time go?

best memorial video for CoH with the music of the end of TV series babylon5 (sleeping in the light)
    much tears

Apparently the source code has been leaked:

I do like going back from time to time and making new chars/costumes. I think most of the updates are new costumes, new items added to events, lockbox stuff and archetypes(I dont think any new powers except for lockbox ultimates)

A big public server is already live (although it's still considered a test run, overloaded and probably unstable right now). Not sure if it's appropriate to link it but it's easy enough to find on the CoH Reddit. Well over 2000 people online on the Discord for it, so it'll definitely be well-populated.

/v/ bros are saving the day and got a test server up and running today. There will be proper public servers up soon™
    Gonna play it once its stable, be great while waiting for wow classic
    “to wear an improper expression on your face was itself a punishable offence. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: FACECRIME, it was called.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like Controllers are back on the menu boiz!!

Shoot me a PM and Ill send you a link to install guide.

So excited, CoH is the only game that ever fed my mmo craving like WoW use to. Cant wait to log back in and make my dark regen scrapper.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xeenith View Post

best memorial video for CoH with the music of the end of TV series babylon5 (sleeping in the light)
    much tears
    Gah that music always gets me.

I'm glad this guy finally relased the code, but I'm still pissed by his total selfishness. He is known to be SUPER elitist and thinks that the rest of us are not "real fans" or "worthy". His exuse for not releasing it was flimsy (he claimed it had info in the code that would reveal who leaked it, which was true. However it only took less than a DAY for people to scrub all of that info!).

He only released the code because finally the real fans (unlike him...who wanted to keep it to himself...) got on his ass for his actions. Real fans would want to share the game with others, not keep it to themselves..
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    When did that happen and how did I miss it? O_o

Well, I guess it was justified in being shut down then. It still makes me a little angry to lose access to the game, though.
    you do realize that a mmo is not the type of game that you can play forever. at some point the servers shut down and you can no longer access it. businesses are NOT charities.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

CoH was the only MMO thats not WoW i ever got invested into. i loved the game

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    you do realize that a mmo is not the type of game that you can play forever. at some point the servers shut down and you can no longer access it. businesses are NOT charities.
    No, they're not. But there are lots of ways to resolve the issue without completely removing access to the game. Selling a license for people to run private servers, allowing players to run client-side servers, or simply selling the IP to some enterprising individual who might take the idea and run with it.

This is going to be a real problem in a decade or so, when all these "games as a service" titles floating around right now fall off the bleeding edge and stop being supported. Unlike books or movies which can be enjoyed whenever you decide, it's going to create a vacuum in the history of gaming where more and more people will experience this effect of not being able to revisit older games.

I'm not saying the HAVE to run a charity. I'm only expressing disappointment that this is a phenomenon that's happening.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    I group of players was in discussion with NCSoft to buy the IP/rent the rights to start up their own server before NCSoft decided it somehow made more sense to trash the code. That's about as far from expecting the company to be a charity as you can get.

God damn would I love to play CoV again...

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    God damn would I love to play CoV again...
    Is that an option or is that an entirely different set of code?

CoH was cool and all. I want to be a mastermind again.