Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    Where is your god-like art team now? Lmao.
    The art team is still one of the best parts of WoW. These sets are just one of the few and far between misses.

More OT: I like the mythic cloth and plate, but that's it. A few of the other colorations for the LFR/normal sets don't look too bad, but all of them are pretty mediocre as far as raiding gear goes. Underwater-themed gear in WoW just can't catch a break.

I think that it's a weord situation, because everywhere else in yhe expansion the art team seems to be doing a pretty gpod job.

But these armor sets...oof.

I get that they're meant to be thematically in line with the whole naga thing, but they really missed the mark here. Maybe they're lowering expectations in prep for later raid sets in 8.2.5 or 8.3?

I guess they can't all be home runs.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mythic cloth sets looks cool on void elves, but yeah I'm not into any of the others. It reminds me of Hunter t11 lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedictu View Post
    Yikes. They all take the exact same literal fish reference. We get it. It's underwater. Fish live underwater. Who wants to look like a giant fish? Creativity is 0/10.
    Ya know, "I don't happen to like this" does not equal "This set is lacking in creativity". I kind of like them, especially the LFR sets and the Mythic plate set. As for whether people might want to look like giant fish -- did you miss the last Darkmoon Faire?

3+ Year Old Account
    I like them and they did say sets will be themed around the theme of the raid. Sooooooo yea.

One day I would love HD tier 2 for all classes.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    8.1 added about 14 sets while 7.1 added 4, 8.2 might be the first short coming but so far bfa has given us more sets then legion as off 8.1

Only one I genuinely like is the mythic cloth set. The rest are mediocre at best imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyjscizzle View Post
    When did they promise "more sets"? I remember them saying that because they are raid specific instead of class they would have greater detail, but I never remember them saying more where coming.
    Pretty sure I remember them saying it at blizzcon when they announced the removal of class specific tier sets. I certainly heard it said officially somewhere. They were saying that there would be far more sets from the game and all its systems as a whole rather than more just from raids.

I'm never one to criticize artists about how things look in their own game but . . . yeah. I don't mind them have a tier that looks lackluster except they have a fraction of the work to do designing armor this expac. Makes no sense to me that the few sets they made are so phoned in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    8.1 added about 14 sets while 7.1 added 4, 8.2 might be the first short coming but so far bfa has given us more sets then legion as off 8.1
    I'm not going to go as far to say "divide that number in half because of faction-specific sets", but I do think doing the faction thing has been a waste of armor set art resources imo. Overall the Warfront sets have been good thematically, but yeah, can only use the ones for your faction

Warfronts themselves probably use too many resources in general (not just the amount of sets they have to make)

Wait... people actually believed them when they said they removed tier sets for quality?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrExcelion View Post
    I'm not going to go as far to say "divide that number in half because of faction-specific sets", but I do think doing the faction thing has been a waste of armor set art resources imo. Overall the Warfront sets have been good thematically, but yeah, can only use the ones for your faction
    I mean just because you only use one doesn't mean its any less effort to make them, you couldn't use all 13 tier sets either but no one is gonna pretend that there was only 3 in each raid.

7+ Year Old Account
    WoW doesn't make as much money as it used to. They laid off some of the art team and this is the result. Get used to it. Eventually we won't be getting new armor skins at all, only recolors.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    WoW doesn't make as much money as it used to. They laid off some of the art team and this is the result. Get used to it. Eventually we won't be getting new armor skins at all, only recolors.
    we have gotten more armor skins and less recolors in bfa. got a source for them laying off any of the art team?

Quote Originally Posted by Xanadrienne View Post
    Ya know, "I don't happen to like this" does not equal "This set is lacking in creativity". I kind of like them, especially the LFR sets and the Mythic plate set. As for whether people might want to look like giant fish -- did you miss the last Darkmoon Faire?
    I personally do think incredibly literal sets that more or less all look like variations of the same look is lacking in creativity, especially since they only have to make 4 of them.

What does it matter? We have like 15 years' worth of older tier sets and gear to transmog. You can only make hundreds of gears sets for so long before the well runs dry.

I like them. There was nothing that made class themed sets inherently better, and there were plenty of them even then that turned out awful. They're doing raid themed, those are aquatic, and they fit. Even just looking over them I was thinking about how I could mix and match some of them like that purple tint of the plate with the forsaken warfront gear.

Some of my favorite transmogs came from this expansion, particularly faction themed armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    What does it matter? We have like 15 years' worth of older tier sets and gear to transmog. You can only make hundreds of gears sets for so long before the well runs dry.
    What he said. The well is pretty dry as far as class themed armor designs, so I am A OK with mixing it up if it means we get some actually stand-out designs out of it (again, like the faction themed warfront armor, which looks friggin' incredible, and I am a big fan of the leveling gear, even if I think Kul'tiras needs more prominent overcoats)

Last edited by Powerogue; 2019-04-21 at 02:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    The problem with this line of thinking is that we pay for an entire team of designers to design good gear. That is their job. If a set looks bad and you revert to 'who cares, there's always tmog' then why do they even bother designing gear in the first place? That said, they have overall done a good job this xpac with gear design... just not this.

I like pretty much all of the armor we've gotten in BfA so far. Even the questing/dungeon sets are cooler than some past tier sets, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    I like them. There was nothing that made class themed sets inherently better, and there were plenty of them even then that turned out awful. They're doing raid themed, those are aquatic, and they fit. Even just looking over them I was thinking about how I could mix and match some of them like that purple tint of the plate with the forsaken warfront gear.

Some of my favorite transmogs came from this expansion, particularly faction themed armor.

What he said. The well is pretty dry as far as class themed armor designs, so I am A OK with mixing it up if it means we get some actually stand-out designs out of it (again, like the faction themed warfront armor, which looks friggin' incredible, and I am a big fan of the leveling gear, even if I think Kul'tiras needs more prominent overcoats)

Maybe they should hire some new armor designers if the current ones can't be inspired enough to come up with new armor designs for classes.