Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Too late...

Aww, your cat looks like my bundle of trouble.

Kitten photo.

Because as previously discussed, cats rely on majority of their water intake to come from the food they eat because they naturally don’t drink a lot of water. When they’re fed only dry food, it causes them to be dehydrated and theres then the possibility of kidney issues.

And no, I didn’t leave a bowl out. My cat has a fountain because cats also usually prefer to drink from running water.
    So if your cats eat dry food and they get thirsty... do they not drink a little water?

I yelled that Josuke on mmochampion said to start pissing and shitting normal, then took a pic of his response. He’s now taking a shit in the clumping litter.
    I mean, that's pretty impressive, that he understands what you mean when you tell him to go take a shit. Lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Feed it lasagna. IT's worked out alright for Garfield for all these years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    So if your cats eat dry food and they get thirsty... do they not drink a little water?
    Ideally a cat should be getting hydration both through having a water bowl and through getting wet food.

It'll increase the overall amount of water it gets, and lessen the chance of urinary problems.

Here’s an interesting article on it.

https://healthypets.mercola.com/site...-for-cats.aspx
    THat is not interesting reading. A bunch of very generic opinions with nothing to back it up an a "nature medicine" site. Cats like all other animals living on land get thirsty when they need more water.

My cat eats dry food and grazes freely. Only eats maybe 1/4th her small bowl a day. Healthy weight and has plenty of water. Zero health issues.

I try to give my cat wet food, but she wont eat it. She will lick it, but that's the extent, and that's after trying several different brands. Over all, happy and healthy and very talkative.

I've never seen a need to limit them. She regulates herself pretty well. That may just be from her being so smart though. Smartest cat I've ever known. Though, that seems to be down to her being a Siamese.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

There’s plenty of other articles out there. Do some reading.
    Well, yes..sort of. There are a lot of articles repeating factoids about cats. "Cats are desert animals" ...are they? In that case why do they not look and behave like a desert animal and what are we basing this "fact" on? Another is claiming that a cat on dry food only gets 50% of the water they need... with nothing to back this up and it sounds a little odd to put it mildly.

I have had cats for a long time and I can name at least 10 things that have been either amazing or a death trap for cats depending on year.

Two things I know with 100% certainty from my own experience. Corn is bad for cats and a cat in pain WILL still eat no matter what people say so this is not a good measure for how happy your cat is. Everything else seems to change with the season.

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm detecting a lot of fancy feast haters in this thread.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Except cats who do dry food do drink a little water ...
    And? This isn’t enough to offset the impact dry food has on their bodies. Not when they evolved to get almost all their water from their diet.

- - - Updated - - -

Most will drink a little bit but again - it’s not enough to offset the dry diet. They aren’t water drinkers by nature.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    There are certainly much better/higher quality brands available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post

8 kg.
    What does a basketball have to do with a cat thread?

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    Read the ingredients on the back of the can.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    And? This isn’t enough to offset the impact dry food has on their bodies. Not when they evolved to get almost all their water from their diet.

- - - Updated - - -

Most will drink a little bit but again - it’s not enough to offset the dry diet. They aren’t water drinkers by nature.

- - - Updated - - -

There are certainly much better/higher quality brands available.
    Cats do drink water so not sure where you are getting this idea from that they are not water drinkers. Is it from the idea that they are desert animals because that is questionable at best. We know where they popped up with humans for the first time and this is not in deserts. It is around river deltas. We also know that there are desert cats (sand cats) near by and that they are not related to domestic cats.

5+ Year Old Account
    how much food does your cat need? That's a question best answered by a professional, though recommendations range between 24 to 35 calories a day per pound, to keep cats at a normal, healthy weight.

Cats do drink water so not sure where you are getting this idea from that they are not water drinkers. Is it from the idea that they are desert animals because that is questionable at best. We know where they popped up with humans for the first time and this is not in deserts. It is around river deltas. We also know that there are desert cats (sand cats) near by and that they are not related to domestic cats.

You aren’t listening. Do they drink some water? Yes. Is it enough to keep them hydrated when eating only dry food? Almost always the answer is no.

Millions of years of evolution can’t be changed by a few decades of forcing them to eat dry kibble. They evolved to eat raw meat and derive their hydration from this diet.

You do not see bladder blockages in their wild counterparts nor did you see it before kibble took over not that long ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

He never said they’re not water drinkers - they are. They just naturally don’t drink a lot because they rely on getting it from their food.

And as I posted earlier, it’s not questionable “at best”. All household cats are descendants of a desert cat, some were just migrated out into other countries by humans.

Domestic cats have been traced back to a single wild ancestor whose relatives still live in the remote deserts of the Middle East today.

https://www.livescience.com/7299-hou...-ancestor.html

https://www.nature.com/news/2007/070...070625-10.html

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...cs.sciencenews

A major genetic survey of nearly 1,000 feral and domestic cats has revealed that every breed of household cat alive today originates from just five lineages which lived alongside ancient settlers in the Fertile Crescent, an area stretching from the eastern Mediterranean to the Persian Gulf.
    If you read those links you will see that they support what I said. Our domestic cat are not desert animals, they came from the river deltas in that area. You have desert cats there and they are not at all related to domestic cats.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cerus View Post
    You aren’t listening. Do they drink some water? Yes. Is it enough to keep them hydrated when eating only dry food? Almost always the answer is no.

Millions of years of evolution can’t be changed by a few decades of forcing them to eat dry kibble. They evolved to eat raw meat and derive their hydration from this diet.

You do not see bladder blockages in their wild counterparts nor did you see it before kibble took over not that long ago.
    I actually have experience with corn based and grain free food in mature cats and what you are describing has only happened with corn. Obviously my pool is limited but the results are 100% in support of this so far.

Uh, I’m reading them and it’s not supporting you saying they aren’t related to desert cats.

“Domestic cats have been traced back to a single wild ancestor whose relatives still live in the remote deserts of the Middle East today.”

“DNA shows that domestic cats are most similar to wildcats currently living in the deserts of Israel, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.”

Water being in the desert doesn’t mean they aren’t desert cats.
    There is only one desert cat at all and it is the sand cat. It is not related to domestic cats. Domestic cats are first of all hybrids but the main bit comes from small wild cats that lived in the fertile areas around Euphrates, Tigris and the Nile.

1 cup a day and have your cat move (play it with). If your cat goes outside, then it should be fine for exercices. I only use dry food, with casual treats/wet food. My cat just looks fine this way.

Uh, are you even reading these links? It’s like you’re just saying random ass shit. Links, please.
    From your own links.

"they became pets for people living in the Fertile Crescent before being carried to other parts of the world by humans." The Fertile Crescent gains its name from land irrigated by the waters of the Nile, Jordan, Tigris and Euphrates"

After this they have been interbred with native species but the one cat that is an actual desert cat, the sand cat, is not in their genes. You can easily see this by comparing our house cats to desert animals or just the sand cat. They behave very differently. For one our cats do not live under ground and they do climb, this is not what animals in a desert typically do and specifically not what the sand cat does. Animals who are from deserts tend not to seek out the highest spot to rest and sleep as this will likely kill them. Animals who live in forests do however and this is exactly where they were domesticated.