Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    And not even for the other side. NATO and Russia know perfectly well what the other is capable off and what it would mean if they went to war. The show is for their own citizens, to keep them worried.
    I agree completely.

It is a show to demonstrate that you are a "big dog" for your side.

France being a member of NATO has to "present it"
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, if you think that has to do with Switzerland, you're mistaken, pal.
    Looked like the Swiss flag to me, you know red background with the white cross.

Also, really, the creepy roleplaying stuff?
    Well, have either of us been serious up to now?

Yeah, if you intend to threaten someone, don't send the French army. All this would do in an actual case of war is that Russian troops would find a well-trampled path towards Europe where the French hastily retreated back to probably Portugal, just to be safe.

On a more serious note, this is all for show. Everybody knows that there's not going to be an armed conflict, since no side has to gain anything out of it.
    What a retarded comment.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    So basically old school "no, you hit me and I'll kick your ass!" playground shouting because no one's allowed to throw the first punch?
    O Flora, of the moon, of the dream. O Little ones, O fleeting will of the ancients. Let the hunter be safe. Let them find comfort. And let this dream, their captor, Foretell a pleasant awakening

Yeah, and that's literally the greatest military success France has had in 200 years.
    I take it history isn't your forte.

And comedy neither, apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyorkbourne View Post
    A hard line is needed to prevent Russian expansion in to territories that aren't theirs.
    If only every country in the world did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadion View Post
    Looked like the Swiss flag to me, you know red background with the white cross.

Well, have either of us been serious up to now?
    Not in the posts you quoted me in. Fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Gael1 View Post
    What a retarded comment.
    I take it history isn't your forte.

And comedy neither, apparently.
    Would you care to make an actual contribution to the thread or are you going to keep dropping pointless oneliners, burneraccount 2918?

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    The younger set is freaking out about this, or some of them are. For those of us who were around in the mid-80s and earlier, looks like we're having a bit of Cold War-style saber-rattling. History repeats itself.
    Probably. Hope you are right on that. But, history has shown that much worse stuff can happen too.

Not in the posts you quoted me in. Fair enough.

Would you care to make an actual contribution to the thread or are you going to keep dropping pointless oneliners, burneraccount 2918?
    Just like you did with your pointless nation bashing ? Sorry pal it's time to grow up and realize if you are going to be a dick online people will call you out for it.

Since you seem to care this is my main account, I only have another one with barely more posts whose password has been long forgotten. Not everyone has the free time to be a dick in 4000 posts.

Just like you did with your pointless nation bashing ? Sorry pal it's time to grow up and realize if you are going to be a dick online people will call you out for it.

Since you seem to care this is my main account, I only have another one with barely more posts whose password has been long forgotten. Not everyone has the free time to be a dick in 4000 posts.
    And you're not smart enough to use the password recovery? Go figure.

Also, since when banter nationbashing? Unpucker your asshole, it was a joke. Next time I'll add some smilies so even people like you will get that. And you couldn't call out anyone for anything to save your life. Sorry, 'pal', your knight in shining armour routine doesn't impress anyone. You'll have to find something else to bolster your ego.

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Not really going to expend energy worrying about it. If it does, then we'll have to go from there.
    Yeah same here. The costs of waging full scale war these days is much bigger than in previous times. It wont matter who attacks first, if the big nations starts war, both will be obliberated.

No reason to worry about it, we dont need to.

Putin is the biggest coward in the world. He's not about to commit suicide by directly attacking the West.

Putin already risked getting CIA-murdered for interfering in the American elections and the British Brexit elections. If he wants to pop his head out a third time, I suspect he'll find himself dead before he can attempt a 4th.

It's mostly just sabre rattling to counter Russia's sabre rattling
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

For a great many years, Russians have had ideas above their station.

I pray that disabusing them of their silly notions won't require shedding blood.
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    So if Russia attacks Estonia, France will be at war.

Do you think a Russian attack on Estonia is an attack on the EU?
    If Russia attacks Estonia, all of NATO will be at war, not just France. There's a rotation of troops from the alliance's member countries in the baltic states precisely for this purpose. To deter Russia, because if they should decide to attack to try to re-create the buffer territory that the Soviets (and Russia prior to it) had, they will not be attacking the (compared to Russia) puny baltic states, but NATO.

As for whether an attack on Estonia would be an attack on the EU, yes, obviously. Estonia is in the EU.

Rolling over and continually disarming is not a solution to this. Russia's geopolitics encourage them to try to retake more of the north European plain to create a defensive buffer zone, because they lack real defensive terrain. What allowed them to win over Napoleon and Nazi Germany was that deep buffer. The baltic states, Poland, Ukraine, ostensibly Belarus though that's already in Russia's claws, even Germany, Slovakia and the Czech republic are all part of the potential buffer zone.

I'm not saying either side is more or less right, here, merely that Russia, for geopolitical reasons, wants to expand west, while the states to the west of it (the EU, and NATO-members) obviously don't want that. Disarmament isn't going to stop Russia from wanting that buffer zone, so the only solution is deterrence. Which is going to be easy to use to prove that there is a need for a buffer zone, because look, we have credible military threats to our west. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Stands in the Fire View Post
    So if Russia attacks Estonia, France will be at war.

Do you think a Russian attack on Estonia is an attack on the EU?
    So...You mean, NATO sends NATO forces to a NATO country.

And your question is...If the Russians attack a NATO country is that an attack on NATO?

The answer is YES.

Also, the answer your question specifically.

Is Estonia in the EU? If yes (it is), than an attack on it is an attack on the EU.

thread started by shitposter, people taking the discussion seriously LUL.

Quote Originally Posted by Alteiry View Post
    "BUT MUH 1914 BORDERS" - Russia
    "You can't annex territory that was historically yours 30 years ago Russia that's wrong!" - USA
    "What's that Israel? That territory belonged to you 2,000 years ago? Yeah sure go ahead annex it all. We'll even send you tons of military hardware and veto anything against you in the UN." - Also the USA

An attack on Estonia and the whole of NATO is at war.

Yeah, and that's literally the greatest military success France has had in 200 years.
    France has the highest won wars ration of any nation in the past 200 years.

They are basically single handedly holding together central and west Africa at the moment.

Get over yourself.