Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    It feels like Legion 0.5 where they mostly share the same features but also make them worse. The new features (allied races, island expeditions, warfronts) ended up very lackluster while they all had great potential to shake the game up. Most content isn't fun to do, and the loot system is all RNG now. Hopefully the major patches will patch up the game that it badly needs. So far I'd rate every expansion from best to worst:

1. WotLK
    2. TBC
    3. MoP
    4. Legion
    5. BFA
    6. WoD
    7. Cata

Essentially, it lacks novelty in most areas for me and nothing has changed much since release.

It's not bad. For me, I just don't feel engaged.

I'd wait until 8.2 to come back. Thats what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I thought it was great, but have been unsubbed for the past four months. Biggest issue is that the game seemed dead, a lot of player activity (across three different full/high pop servers) seemed to dropped off sharply after the holidays. Free weekend also seemed dead. Patch content on PTR looks promising.

Will probably be coming back soon, not expecting the pop issue to improve but the patch looks worthwhile to check out for a month at least.
    This is a good take. I don’t know if it’s because of sharding, but even the full pop servers feel like they’re at 20% capacity. Even if BFA was the greatest expansion ever (which it’s not - player agency and progression is at an all time low), rapidly declining servers and guilds make it feel like I’m wasting my time. I’m personally having a tough time getting into the RBG scene, which is content I’m interested in, and PvP vets are telling me it’s pretty much dead.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're going to play solo I'd wait until the last patch, then just play through all of the content. I'm not subbed, quit a while back. Came back for the free weekend a bit ago and... /yawn.

The thing is, it's NOT terrible. But outside of M+ and raids, there's not a lot of content. Yes, each patch gives you some stuff to do but that takes little time and once you've done it you're back to dungeons or raids or WQs/Warfronts/Islands which is the same basic stuff since release.

Again, yes, there are new warfronts since 8.0 and they're fine to do once or twice but....

Some of this is just WoW - you've always been in the position of having to repeat content. Usually, group content was done with friends and so it's not hard to repeat it - you're basically hanging out with friends and how bad it that?

But if you don't have in game friends anymore... I'd either stay away or plan on just a month.

It's better than WoD.

bad.. continues the downward trend since WoD... I know some people like the direction the game is going with squishes, and scaling word etc.. but i hate it. i'm down to playing out of habit and to see where the story goes....
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

It's very negative tbh. There are positive aspects to it that I could list, but overall and overwhelmingly so far, BfA is an expansion that tried and failed to ride Legion's coattails.

They kept all of Legion's reward systems and features like world quests and m+ dungeons completely intact, expecting us to eat it up again like we did in Legion, but they forget that none of it is new to us now. Most of all though, they forgot that they sold us this overhaul in reward systems and extreme RNG alongside a plethora of art and content, which are notably missing from BfA. And if you really scrutinize what they did, they didn't just copy Legion's systems like world quests, they had the audacity to stretch them out even thinner, cutting rewards and making us walk twice as far for the same cookie.

Basically BfA is the worst of Legion without the best of Legion. It's not all grim and it's by no means a horrible unplayable game, but it's been pretty bleak so far.

Another thing that I noticed about BfA is how Blizzard is just bribing everyone and everything. Look at shadow priests for example, and how unhappy the spriest community was with no changes to the spec despite being promised a rework. What did Blizzard do? just flat out buff spriests without reworking a single thing. Or look at the most recent ilvl increase of emissary rewards, with basically anyone playing and paying for enough lockouts ending up with well over 400ilvl just by doing world quests. It keeps the masses happy, but is that really the way this game wants to keep its playerbase happy?

ok /rantover

I enjoyed the levelling process but as soon as I got to endgame, I was immediately turned off. I've done the WQ grind, I have no interest in doing it again. I am sick of having flying so restricted, and the new major systems got boring really fast. All that equals that I have kept my feet firmly in old world pet/mount farming since a month after release.

BFA isn't the worst expansion, but it isn't far off. I think WoD was worse overall, though I enjoyed it more than BFA. I think part of it was the relentless WQ grind and over reliance on RNG in Legion burned me out on the game. I am having trouble finding things to do that I enjoy.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd say it's a 6/10 at the moment, easily bumped to a 8/10, maybe 9/10 if you have friends to play with. I've played since release and am still having a lot of fun.

The most annoying part of the experience at the moment is all the whining over the game's state, but if you can steer clear of these annoyances (just quit if you're one of these people, honestly) it's actually quite enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Frimelda View Post
    Hello all, I am someone who quit a month into Battle For Azeroth and was thinking of possibly trying the game out again and I was wondering what people currently think of the expansion thus far?
    Wait for 8.2.

Oh, and you might take into consideration Blizzard screwing their employees and engaging in blatant tax evasion while awarding their CFO millions of dollars while reporting record profits. Does that effect your enjoyment of the game? Probably not. But you should be aware of it, none-the-less.

Generally speaking i think the content itself in BfA is fine, its just ruined by class design.

Too much RNG, too much Time gating, and the story is atrocious...

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    It feels like Legion 0.5 where they mostly share the same features but also make them worse. The new features (allied races, island expeditions, warfronts) ended up very lackluster while they all had great potential to shake the game up. Most content isn't fun to do, and the loot system is all RNG now. Hopefully the major patches will patch up the game that it badly needs. So far I'd rate every expansion from best to worst:

1. WotLK
    2. TBC
    3. MoP
    4. Legion
    5. BFA
    6. WoD
    7. Cata
    Can’t believe you’d do the dirty on cataclysm like that!
    That expansion was unbelievable in my opinion... Perhaps because I was 85% of the time PvPer and the combat was good, and 15% Altoholic and the world change was amazing ! I actually think I had the most fun during cata playing WoW and I’ve been around since 05.

Still! Can’t believe you’d score Cata so sorely :’( Sure dragon Soul was a poor raid, but dang that’s harsh. Explain yourself Mr. McNeil!

Right now i think there are far better games to play that do not charge a monthly fee to play. As an rpg its uninspired. As a story its just a mess. As an mmo it feels designed to try and throw darts at the wall and see what sticks in terms of player retention first and being a fun videogame second or third. A game that wants not just a box fee but like the price of netflix three times over per month needs to do something to validate money better spent elsewhere for me and thus far its really fallen into a 'going through the motions' kind of ongoing games design where you really just log in after the first few days at cap to upkeep your characters, make sure the numbers go bigger for no reason beyond bigger numbers. Which ironically makes it feel like you are going nowhere in a scaling world.
    Warlords of Dreanor was bad because it was rushed, unfinished and genuinely felt like filler since Pandaria ended with "look out folks, legions coming!" and then we got this side quest expansion that felt like it was changed halfway because people didn't like it. Now the WoW team is not the same people bar a handful that made the super successful phenomenon WoW used to be and the new team are digging their heels in talking about "the story dojo" and taking on a "dont like it, dont play" sentiment to what appears to be a pretty significant dislike ratio on the product and when it charges a fee in an age where that model barely exists anymore they need to pull out all the stops and so far BfA doesnt do that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightytasty View Post
    This is a good take. I don’t know if it’s because of sharding, but even the full pop servers feel like they’re at 20% capacity. Even if BFA was the greatest expansion ever (which it’s not - player agency and progression is at an all time low), rapidly declining servers and guilds make it feel like I’m wasting my time. I’m personally having a tough time getting into the RBG scene, which is content I’m interested in, and PvP vets are telling me it’s pretty much dead.
    That's exactly how it feels for me. It's had more of an effect on my enjoyment of the game than anything else.

Sucks ass.

This is my least played expansion. Even Cata and WoD I've played for longer. I've been unsubbed for months and don't miss it at all. What I do miss is vanilla, so Blizzard will get my sub back when WoW Classic launches.

If they blow me away with the next expansion, I might consider playing it again. But honestly I don't see it happening. All the old villains are dead. Lich King dead, Deathwing dead, Sargeras out of the picture, Archimonde dead, Kil'jaeden dead, Azshara soon dead, Illidan probably never to be heard from again.

What do they have left? Old Gods? Void Lords? Fuck off. I really don't give a shit.

What WoW needs is a compelling villain. Someone that makes the story interesting. Arthas was such a villain, which is why WoW peaked during WotLK. The rest of them were utterly wasted. Deathwing was pathetic, we didn't even get to fight Sargeras, and Azshara is about to be pissed away in a mid-expansion raid.

Let's face it, WoW has failed to create new iconic villains. And they can no longer piggyback on the awesome villains from the old lore. So what do we do? Another pointless faction war that neither side will win? Idk.

Gameplay: 6/10
    I don't subscribe to the endless ranting about classes, but there are some things that could use work. Azerite atm feels bad, but in 8.2 it's looking good and will raise this score to a 7.5/10. Dungeons are pretty good, but the raids are fantastic. BoD has some incredibly fun fights.

Art and Sound: 9/10
    It's Blizzard, the game will always look and sound nice, even with its old as shit engine that's been updated over time.

Story: 2/10
    Too much nonsense, lots of shit happening for no reason. It's a character drama instead of a hard-hitting war story, which is what the expansion was billed as.

Expansion features post-launch:

Azerite: 2/10
    It's a mess, but 8.2 will improve it significantly imo.

Islands: 7/10
    I actually enjoy them as a side-piece. They felt sad in 8.0 because there wasn't a lot else, but after some improvements and other content added, they feel great to me.

Warfronts (scenario): 1/10
    Wait 30 minutes, get your free loot. They're time-gated by boring as fuck waiting phases where you have to wait for catapults to break a gate or turrets to go down with nothing to do but AoE down meaningless packs of mobs.

Warfronts (open world): 7/10
    Lots of collectables! I enjoy these sort of things, so I've spent a lot of time in the Warfront zones killing rares for pets, toys and mounts.

Allied Races: 6/10
    I think they're great and enjoy how there's some minor exclusivity (if you didn't play at the time, you have to go back and unlock them). That being said, a lot of them don't have the best customisation options which tanks this rating.

Overall: BfA at the current moment gets a 5/10 from me. The improvements in 8.2 and beyond will likely increase my opinion of it, I'm just miffed the story is a complete wash.

content is excellent but becomes useless too fast, no items are worth being excited about, the story they are trying to do doesn't work in the chunked pace they use.

My favorite *bfa* feature was shiny space goats, so that kinda says something. (Either I like shiny space goats way to much, or I find the overall game to be meh)

6/10

Quote Originally Posted by FL4K View Post
    Middle of the road

Certainly over hyped, and over zealously defended by fanatical WoW players/Blizzard devotees making it out as the best expansion yet--

--but it's certainly not the train wreck, abysmal expansion it's made out to be.

It's middle of the road. My opinion.
    The fuck? Nobody over hypes BfA, even players who zealously defend it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It really depends on what you like to do and if you play a lot or just a few times a week. Since you didn't say I don't know what to tell you.

It's mostly a middling expansion. There have been better and worse. Big new patch coming along eventually which might correct some things. There are things to do. In a lot of ways it's a lot like Legion. That's both good and bad. We were in Legion for a while and there's a sense of same-old same-old about the systems.

I imagine you're going to have a difficult time here sorting out those who will try and give an honest impression from those who have agendas one way or another. Good luck.

EDIT: First few pages have been pretty fair by my estimation.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-04-22 at 01:10 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."