Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Is that an option or is that an entirely different set of code?

CoH was cool and all. I want to be a mastermind again.
    Villains are playable. Even Praetorians are playable. It has all of the content that was available before the shutdown, and even two new Issues that were being worked on at the time. (Not sure if it's just the new Archetype, Power Sets, and such, or if there's actually new missions from I25)

But it's still a test right now- login servers are overloaded so it's tough to get in right now (still managed to handle 700+ online earlier somehow though), disconnects will happen, and characters may get wiped.

Soooo.....is someone gonna send me a mail with the details so I can play this "secret" server? XD

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Soooo.....is someone gonna send me a mail with the details so I can play this "secret" server? XD
    Not really a secret anymore, there is a new one that is in testing and will soon be simply made public. Right now not worth trying to get onto it as it is not fully stable yet.

You can find details on the COH subreddit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fayolynn View Post
    I group of players was in discussion with NCSoft to buy the IP/rent the rights to start up their own server before NCSoft decided it somehow made more sense to trash the code. That's about as far from expecting the company to be a charity as you can get.
    A group of players?
    No it was PARAGON STUDIOS THEMSELVES (the guys who literally made the game) that NCSoft said no to. Since NCSoft published the game and owned the IP they had that power over the studio who literally created it...
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Not really a secret anymore, there is a new one that is in testing and will soon be simply made public. Right now not worth trying to get onto it as it is not fully stable yet.

You can find details on the COH subreddit.
    Looks like it's still being referred to as Paragon Chat. Although I take it as a good sign that they appear to be working hard on getting a more stable and fully-working version up and running.

I still think that with this level of interest that NCsoft should just grab the bull by the horns and re-launch the original game. Run a single server with a skeleton crew. But I suppose doing that would also cut off all the fans working on updates and such.

Either way it'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Is that an option or is that an entirely different set of code?

CoH was cool and all. I want to be a mastermind again.
    All power sets where unlocked for both heroes and villains in the last update before the servers were shutdown.

For everyone waiting for a final stable release, they're planning on switching out of test next Saturday, on the 15th anniversary of CoH's release. It's already surprisingly stable even with over 2,800 concurrent players (before the shutdown it was capped at 1,500) and almost 14,000 registered. Only Atlas Park was still having issues earlier today, not sure if that was fixed. The coders got this all working amazingly fast. However, there will be a character wipe when it switches to live.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its working well today. I cant believe how much they improved in 2 days. Really good blast from the past.

NCs is bound to step in a ruin it for everyone any minute now.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Its working well today. I cant believe how much they improved in 2 days. Really good blast from the past.

NCs is bound to step in a ruin it for everyone any minute now.
    It's my hope that NCsoft does like what Blizzard did with private WoW server: Be forced to re-release the game themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    It's my hope that NCsoft does like what Blizzard did with private WoW server: Be forced to re-release the game themselves.
    That sounds really unrealistic, but apparently there is a precedent for that- I've heard that NCSoft released their own classic Lineage 2 server since they couldn't stop the mass of private servers for it.

Not sure how I'd feel about it though- as great as it would be to see it officially back, with NCSoft in charge I'd always be worried about them shutting it down on a whim again. On the other hand, superheroes are a lot more popular now thanks to the MCU becoming huge after CoH shutdown, so maybe it could become too successful for that? It also wouldn't really differ from the private server (aside from probably missing the new Powersets and Sentinel) unless they actually get a new dev team to keep working on it, there would be no reason for players to go back if it's just maintenance mode. Would be great if we somehow finally saw the Battalion arc.

Edit: And it seems they took the worst reaction possible instead- the server's being shut down indefinitely thanks to legal action. The team doesn't plan to give up, and the head administrator plans to go down fighting. They're very insistent that this will happen in the end, but it looks like it'll be a rough road getting there after all.
    Last edited by Eldryth; 2019-04-22 at 07:34 PM.

Yup, looks like NCsoft went full lawyer on the server. Too bad, I was going to try it out, never got around to CoH.

I only got to play a couple of hours last night. Got my "Contaminated" badge from the 'Outbreak' starting zone, did a few missions in Atlas Park... then had to went to sleep. Fuck. The two happiest hours of the last few years for me.

I didn't really expect anything less from NCSoft.

lets hope the code gets wide released so NCsoft is running around like headless chickens

*sigh*

At least I got to make a robodude one last time. Hope they fight them tooth and nail.

10+ Year Old Account
    God damn the NCSoft internal butthurt bitch division moves quick.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

What a damn shame. I played City of Heroes for a little while but never really devoted a lot of time to it since WoW came along soon after and pulled me away. I have no idea if I'd actually enjoy the game but I was keeping an eye on this because I wanted to give it another try if just for the sake of nostalgia. My main interest was how NCSoft reacted though, since I'd love a Wildstar server one day. Pretty much what I expected, unfortunately. :\

Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post
    What a damn shame. I played City of Heroes for a little while but never really devoted a lot of time to it since WoW came along soon after and pulled me away. I have no idea if I'd actually enjoy the game but I was keeping an eye on this because I wanted to give it another try if just for the sake of nostalgia. My main interest was how NCSoft reacted though, since I'd love a Wildstar server one day. Pretty much what I expected, unfortunately. :\
    Hell. I think they'd react harsher to Wildstar servers just because it's fresher.

Yet another update from the team leader:

Things may not be as nuclearly fucked as I was lead to be presented with. Please hold tight. I am not posting a GFM, it may not be needed.
    No idea what's actually going on at this point. Seems like one admin (the one hosting the server) may have panicked and dropped out just thinking of the possibility of all this, and started a big panic among the team? At least, there's someone who claims to be that member saying that on Reddit, but it's a new account.

Edit: Okay, yeah. The server host suddenly panicked, shut it down, and dropped out of the project, and it started a bunch of confusion and panic among the team. Seems like there was no actual legal trouble yet.
    Last edited by Eldryth; 2019-04-22 at 09:00 PM.

Well, it's confirmed- the host just dropped out and started a panic. Unfortunately, it seems they took all the work everyone's done with them, so basically they need to find a new host start over on all the progress they've made in the past three days.