Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Questing vs dungeons 20-120

Currently leveling a shaman and curious what’s faster pre 110 questing or leveling? I could que as restoring and almost insta Q spam dungeons. So it makes it difficult to do both while in Q.

Questing is way faster.

Tho, what is more fun to you? Questing, or dungeon runs?

Decide based on that. A game should not be about effectiveness.

if you quest in the right zones, it can be almost 3x faster

A dungeon from 15-60 gives a level plus some, as far as I remember. It’s a nice break from just questing. I’d queue as DPS and quest while waiting

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    If what is most fun about him is character progression, then effectiveness IS fun.
    You get items from both dungeons and questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Character progression while leveling is entirely moving the xp bar fast. Everything else is for good or ill useless.
    That is one of the problems of nowadays wow community. Instead of doing what is fun some do what is most effective. Without having fun.

And become toxic because of that.

Effectiveness is something for an assembly line. But not for a computer game.
    Last edited by Fred Skinner; 2019-04-22 at 07:38 AM.

I just did the same, level a shaman to 110 (for the heritage armor). I started as resto with instant queues, but it got boring, so I changed to elemental and quested while waiting for queues. Below 100 it still only takes 5-10 minutes. I found it more fun to do both, and you get enough xp so you don’t have to do the same dungeons too often. First time gives the most xp, with the quests, anyway. Maybe not the fastest method, but imho more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by duselsteiner View Post
    That is one of the problems of nowadays wow community. Instead of doing what is fun some do what is most effective. Without having fun.

And deciding what other people can and can't enjoy, isn't toxic?

Some people actually get enjoyment out of efficiency, or want to get to the content they enjoy faster, while dealing with this hurdle.

Suppose you think people who like speed running, are just delusional, and haven't yet realised they'd have way more fun taking the game slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Archer View Post
    And deciding what other people can and can't enjoy, isn't toxic?
    Well, i am not sure if there are actually many who love to play the most effective gameplay only, no matter if they like the gameplay. Or if they just do it because of skinner box effects.

Do you do something for a reward only and not because you think it is fun?

Suppose you think people who like speed running, are just delusional, and haven't yet realised they'd have way more fun taking the game slow?
    Those are at least players i do not want to play together with. The "og og og" crowd is not really compatible to what i like to play.

But probably there really are people who like to be effective over playing gameplay they like. I mean, i would not wonder if we talk about the WoW community.
    Last edited by Fred Skinner; 2019-04-22 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirroo2241 View Post
    Currently leveling a shaman and curious what’s faster pre 110 questing or leveling? I could que as restoring and almost insta Q spam dungeons. So it makes it difficult to do both while in Q.
    Dungeons are only worth it until level 90. After that you should do bonus objectives, quests.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Dungeons. Levelled a Mag’har and Dark Iron via questing then a Zandalari and Kul Tiran via dungeons.

The latter two were much faster until level 80, then I had to swap to questing.

Well, i am not sure if there are actually many who love to play the most effective gameplay only, no matter if they like the gameplay. Or if they just do it because of skinner box effects.

Do you do something for a reward only and not because you think it is fun?

Those are at least players i do not want to play together with. The "og og og" crowd is not really compatible to what i like to play.

But probably there really are people who like to be effective over playing gameplay they like. I mean, i would not wonder if we talk about the WoW community.
    Surely you get that for a lot of people, end game content is what they enjoy. I love raiding, that's about it in wow. But I enjoy that enough, and raid often enough for it to be worth my sub. This is the case for a LOT of people. So of course if I was to level, i'd want to be as efficient as possible.

Imagine there's a box of icecream under sand, you can either get a spade and start moving the sand, or you can get a spoon and really savour your time removing the sand. For some people, levelling would be less enjoyable than digging up sand. But it's a necessary evil to get to what you enjoy. People do it all the time. Love traveling? Well you gotta work to earn that money, whether you love it or hate it.

You can absolutely not enjoy playing with those kinds of people, they clash pretty hard with people who like to savour the part of wow they enjoy, while they try to rush through it.

I'm just questioning the part where you seem to think that people who rush leveling, would have fun if they took it slow.

Surely you get that for a lot of people, end game content is what they enjoy. I love raiding, that's about it in wow. But I enjoy that enough, and raid often enough for it to be worth my sub. This is the case for a LOT of people. So of course if I was to level, i'd want to be as efficient as possible.
    Well, and i chose the path which is most fun to me. If i had to play something i disliked, i would not play it.

Imagine there's a box of icecream under sand, you can either get a spade and start moving the sand, or you can get a spoon and really savour your time removing the sand. For some people, levelling would be less enjoyable than digging up sand. But it's a necessary evil to get to what you enjoy. People do it all the time. Love traveling? Well you gotta work to earn that money, whether you love it or hate it.
    You mix up real life with a computer game. In a computer game i only want to do things i like. I do not like dungeons or raids, so i will not play them. No matter how epic the item is which drops there.

I'm just questioning the part where you seem to think that people who rush leveling, would have fun if they took it slow.
    As i said, i think a game should not be about effectivity, but about what you like to do.

Here's a fun fact. At level 20, go do the level 11 zones like Westfall, Ghostlands, Bloodmyst Isle, Silverpine Forest, etc. The level 11 zones are designed with no mounts in mind. Due to this, you can fly through those quests and get an absolute metric fuck-ton of experience in short amounts of time, thanks to zone scaling.

You mix up real life with a computer game. In a computer game i only want to do things i like. I do not like dungeons or raids, so i will not play them. No matter how epic the item is which drops there.

As i said, i think a game should not be about effectivity, but about what you like to do.
    Mixing up real life with a computer game? You understand both things take up a set amount of your time right?

If you have something you really enjoy, you work out what it's worth.
    Want to go on a trip overseas? Okay, sounds great, how many hours of work is that worth to you? At what point is the cost too much?
    Want to hang out and raid with your friends online? Okay, sounds great, how many hours of leveling/unfun content is that worth to you? At what point is the cost too much?

It's a really obnoxious comment so many people make, assuming time spent doing things irl that you enjoy, is worth more than time spent doing things online that you enjoy. IRL vs Online has literally nothing to do with the measurement of a persons enjoyment. That's up to the person themselves.

You have a really terrible attitude, you assume what you enjoy is what everyone else is obligated to enjoy. Your opinions are yours, don't push them on others.

If in a computer game, you are only willing to do things you really enjoy, you must not enjoy the things you need to work towards very much. That's fine, that's what you like. But other people seem to enjoy the game a hell of a lot more than you do, they just enjoy fewer parts.

Are you gonna quit when you're loving a single player game, but then there's an unfun underwater level that would take 20minutes to get past?

Your stance is very naive.

Mixing up real life with a computer game? You understand both things take up a set amount of your time right?
    A computer game is for enjoyment only. Real life is about being able to live. That is quite different.

If you have something you really enjoy, you work out what it's worth.
    For me, the path is the goal. Which means if i have no fun in what i am doing while playing the game, i will not play it.

Want to go on a trip overseas? Okay, sounds great, how many hours of work is that worth to you? At what point is the cost too much?
    You compare real life with a computer game again. Actually, playing a computer game is like a trip overseas. Something you do in your sparetime. For fun.

Want to hang out and raid with your friends online? Okay, sounds great, how many hours of leveling/unfun content is that worth to you? At what point is the cost too much?
    I do not play raids, as i do not like them. I love leveling and playing alts. So leveling is the fun part for me.

You have a really terrible attitude, you assume what you enjoy is what everyone else is obligated to enjoy. Your opinions are yours, don't push them on others.
    Not at all. I just do play what i like to play in a game that is for enjoyment.

But other people seem to enjoy the game a hell of a lot more than you do, they just enjoy fewer parts.
    And you are sure you are not just the victim of a skinner box effect? Playing what you dislike while it is all about the reward only? Always check that.

Are you gonna quit when you're loving a single player game, but then there's an unfun underwater level that would take 20minutes to get past?
    I quit a game whenever i come across a brickwall i cannot take. And when there is nothing else to do i have fun with. If i play a solo player game and cannot pass a point, i switch to a lower difficulty.

Your stance is very naive.
    No, i just do not see computer games as real life replacement, and i see computer games as a part of my sparetime. And not as a means to live in just another meritocracy.

You compare real life with a computer game again. Actually, playing a computer game is like a trip overseas. Something you do in your sparetime. For fun.
    You realise, my first real life example was travelling? That's what you blabbed on about "oh but real life maaan" when you after just said they're the same thing.
    My entire point is doing something IRL that you don't enjoy, to do something you do enjoy (Like taking a trip overseas) is the same as doing something online you don't' enjoy, to do something you do enjoy.

Yes there's nothing YOU like enough in video games, to ever consider doing something you don't enjoy, that is not the case for everyone.

It's a bit sad you'd quit a game you love, because of a simple 20minute underwater level, when you could go back to what you enjoyed straight after.

I don't care about the "reward" in wow, if you're referring to loot. I care about doing well in a tier from a competitive point, getting higher world rankings each raid clear, climbing that ladder. That's my enjoyment, not shitty items.

But your first post was "This is what people are allowed to enjoy" and now you're hiding behind "me me me me me, i like, me me me me me, i like, i like, i like"
    No one really cares what you like, you can like what you want. The issue was you telling people what they can and can't like.

You prefer slow pace easy simple hand held content that's never difficult or challenging and you never have to grind or do anything you don't like. That's fine. Everyone can enjoy what they want to enjoy. You don't want to work for anything, you just want instant gratification.

Not everyone is like you, keep that in mind in future, before you make stupid overarching statements.

My entire point is doing something IRL that you don't enjoy, to do something you do enjoy (Like taking a trip overseas) is the same as doing something online you don't' enjoy, to do something you do enjoy.
    Yes, and i dont do that in a computer game. I focus entirely on things i like to do.

I don't care about the "reward" in wow, if you're referring to loot. I care about doing well in a tier from a competitive point, getting higher world rankings each raid clear, climbing that ladder. That's my enjoyment, not shitty items.
    And for that, you will play years of dull content you dislike?

Are you sure you still play a game? Or more likely are a soldier in an army where you want to get a better rank? What distinguishes your gameplay from a real life meritocracy, and is the outcome of you playing all the things you dislike really worth the idea to kill some pixel boss after 20 wipes while the fun part of your gameplay was decreased to 1% of all the things you play?

No one really cares what you like, you can like what you want. The issue was you telling people what they can and can't like.
    I do not tell you what you should like. I just wonder if you really like it, or if you are just addicted to skinner box effects and social ties to your guildies, and would play whatever you had to, while you do not like most of the things you play.

Not everyone is like you, keep that in mind in future, before you make stupid overarching statements.
    And only a minority is like you, who would play everything they dislike only for a few moments of gameplay they like.
    Last edited by Fred Skinner; 2019-04-22 at 10:27 AM.

I got my enjoyment from leveling allied races to 110 as fast as I could. So does that guy that leveled a shitload of warriors to 120. To each their own.
    If you want to get to 120 as fast as possible, questing is the fastest way. If you want to have fun, choose the thing that you like doing most.

10+ Year Old Account

For many, effectiveness is part of their fun, you know? Just like grouping up can hold more effective and sometimes fun use.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..