15+ Year Old Account

Can a GTX 1070 run an Ultrawide (3840x1080) monitor att 144hz in classic wow?

As stated in the title. Would it be able to?

Looking for that little extra for classic wow and I'm in need of a new monitor (or 2 if not an ultrawide one) anyway.

I know that the official requirements for classic hasn't been announced but how much higher then vanilla could it be?

Edit: The monitor in question is the CHG90 (super ultra-wide) from Samsung.
    Last edited by nalle; 2019-04-22 at 03:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    For lvling and normal instance I would say maybe. But raids or the larger BGs no. To many particle effects.

WoW is CPU dependant more than GPU. I'm sure that gfx card is capable, but the cpu will be a bottle neck.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    WoW is CPU dependant more than GPU. I'm sure that gfx card is capable, but the cpu will be a bottle neck.
    I have a i5 6600k clocked to 4.2 GHz. Don't know how that would fare though.

The 144Hz would not really be mandatory but would be nice if it was able to get that in classic.
    Last edited by nalle; 2019-04-22 at 03:48 PM.

3840x1080 isn't ultrawide, its super duper extra ultra wide.

i run wow at 3440x1440 (normal) ultrawide, which is more pixels than yours, completely fine. i5 6600k + gtx1070.

not sure what can be said about 144Hz in wow though. afaik classic will run on the modern engine which drops below 60 for me in raids all the time. classic fights are less complicated but more people, so who knows how that will work out.
    Last edited by horbindr; 2019-04-22 at 03:54 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    3840x1080 isn't ultrawide, its super duper extra ultra wide.

i run wow at 3440x1440 (normal) ultrawide, which is more pixels than yours, completely fine. i5 6600k + gtx1070.

not sure what can be said about 144Hz in wow though. afaik classic will run on the modern engine which drops below 60 for me in raids all the time. classic fights are less complicated but more people, so who knows how that will work out.
    It's apparently called super ultra-wide but yes it's like 2 1080p monitors in one so not that taxing but the question was more for the 144Hz in classic. In BFA it's decent with the 1070 at mostly 45-60 fps for me in raids at max settings (have a 1080p 60Hz monitor atm).

Doubt that max settings in classic on the new engine will be anywhere near as taxing as BFA at max settings though.
    Last edited by nalle; 2019-04-22 at 06:02 PM.

I'm gonna say no but i could be wrong,

In 8.1 i was running 1440p, on settings 7 (ultra), raids were not good for stability, but that's obvious, dungeons were fine, towns were okay, but it was struggling to keep above 100 fps in most cases, this was with an overclocked 9700k. You're talking much more pixels, If you play on the lowest settings, decent fps will be obtainable otherwise i'd expect 60s in most cases (raids WILL be lower).

but no one knows for sure, as people are saying classic will run on modern engine and all.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Depending on how sensitive you are to such things, that screen has roughly the same PPI (~81) as a 27" 1080p monitor. Some folks hate it, others aren't be bothered by it.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triggered Fridgekin View Post
    Depending on how sensitive you are to such things, that screen has roughly the same PPI (~81) as a 27" 1080p monitor. Some folks hate it, others aren't be bothered by it.
    Have a 32" 1080p monitor atm so anything would be better.