Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account

Zones I liked or hated

I have been thinking about the Classic zones & the ones I am most looking forward to.

These are MY favorite zones to quest through.
    Stranglethorn Vale, Un'goro Crater, Burning Steppes, Mulgore, Dun Morogh

ZONES I HATED TO QUEST THROUGH
    Azshara, Feralas, Eastern Plaguelands, Desolace, Felwood, 1000 Needles

Either way, I can't wait to quest through all of these zones as I never got to experience the Vanilla version of them.

What zones do you remember fondly or negatively?

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendChris View Post

I actually enjoyed the atmosphere in EP and Felwood. Everything is corrupt and vile. The end result of the scourges efforts (or whatever the big bad was). And the music emphasizes that feeling of unnatural decay. And EP has some of the best quest storylines

And 1000 Needles was my goto place for mining skill ups. You could do laps around that and Shimmering Flats and get loads of minerals.

Loved Ashenvale. The trees, elven themed buildings and the lanterns lighting the roads was just awesome to run through back in the day. Also enjoyed Winterspring. It was less traveled, out of the way and dangerous...never knew what to expect out there because there wasn't really a guide system.

Didn't really like Un'goro crater. I know it was and has been a fan favorite, but the jungle theme and crystals and tar pits, blah. Just wasn't for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Desolace, Aszhara and Silithus basically had nothing in them to begin with. Not fond of them.

I loved Hillsbrad, EPL, Duskwood, Silverpine to name a few.

I've leveled so many characters that I'm exceedingly sick of all classic zones.

However, I recently leveled a horde orc warlock and went through Silverpine Forest, I liked it.

Especially with Azeroth Autopilot.

Ashenvale by far. My first character was a Night Elf, and running through Ashenvale was so nice. Still is really. All those memories. Going through hell in Demon Fall Canyon to give my tribute to Grom Hellscream, looking around the zone for new pets to tame, dying and calling my friend to ask what the fuck do I do now, using 20 minutes to find my corpse and the general atmosphere in the zone makes Ashenvale perhaps the zone I have most nostalgia towards. I don't think I have a character that I have leveled who hasn't been questing in Ashenvale so far.

Don't think I have any zones I really hated, but Desolace is maybe the zone I tried to stay away from. Must say the revamp made Desolace a better zone to be in though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    However, I recently leveled a horde orc warlock and went through Silverpine Forest, I liked it.
    Silverpine is a very good zone to level in now yeah. Good story and questing is generally easy there. Though it was different back when vanilla was current.

I never capped a character in Vanilla, but I don't think I'll ever forget questing through Westfall with the Defias Brotherhood and the journey into Deadmines. That feeling of uncovering a huge plot and infiltrating the enemies stronghold and then seeing it was just awesome to me.

Just thinking about questing through the Barrens again makes me question my desire to even play Classic at all.

7+ Year Old Account
    Hm i love and hate at the same time barrnes. Love them because of they desgin some desert some savannah, mountains, oasis. Good memeries about lvling in vanilla and xroads fights. But i hate them because i stuck in there for an hours while lvl up my chars again and again and again :P STV was beautiful and troll content but was pain because of tons of alliance and hard to quest without fights all the time.

Hated at all silithus because it was empty, unfinished and boring. Eastern Plaguelands i dun know just lvling in there was just pain. Desolace ofc was just bad and ugly and boring.

Loved. Mulgore <3 my first zone and was just beautiful. Western Plaguelands because i had there xp and gold farming spot at felstone field. Badlands nice farming spots, good lore with Uldaman instance and ofc Kargath meeting spot for MC and BWL raids good memories. Azshara pretty nice design and had good spots also and Azuregos world boss fights.

As Alliance:

Stranglethorn Vale, Lakeshire, Duskwood, Loch Modan, Dun Morogh, Wetlands, Tanaris, Alterac Mountains, Un'goro Crater, Searing Gorge, Western Plaguelands, Arathi Highlands, Westfall.

Elywnn Forest, Darkshore, Shimmering Flats, Silithus, Felwood, Burning Steppes, Eastern Plaguelands, Dustwallow Marsh, Feralas, Blasted Lands, Badlands.

I liked most of the lower level zones, I think the levelling process really does begin to stagnate when you're close to 50, the 50s is awful, not hard, but not as enjoyable.

Darkshore is easily my favourite. There are some others that are nice but for me, my first few months of gameplay were exclusively within the elf starting areas; such good memories.

I can't really think of a crappy one at the top of my head, Silithus probably.
    Last edited by DechCJC; 2019-04-23 at 04:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morbownz View Post
    I think the levelling process really does begin to stagnate when you're close to 50, the 50s is awful, not hard, but not as enjoyable.
    I think that is largely because everything converges at that point, both horde and alliance. You're doing the same zone by "force." Yes, you could level elsewhere but the speed leveling track always suggests the same last 2 zones (Western and Eastern Plaguelands).

I feel the same way when I hit 60 and I have to do Hellfire Peninsula or Borean Tundra or Howling Fjord for the nth time.
    Last edited by Weeps; 2019-04-23 at 04:31 PM.

Can't really say I hate any of the zones. I have fond memories in most places. But I can say the best looking start zone is mulgore. And the best questing experience start zone is elwynn

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved Elwynn Forest, Westfall, Duskwood, STV, Tanaris, Felwood, Hillsbrad, Winterspring, and Dustwallow Marsh

Hated Desolace, Arathi Highlands, Wetlands, Silithus, Blasted Lands

Probably forgetting some, but I think I was middle of the road on the rest.

I have been thinking about the Classic zones & the ones I am most looking forward to.

Either way, I can't wait to quest through all of these zones as I never got to experience the Vanilla version of them.

What zones do you remember fondly or negatively?
    Thousand needles is a love/hate relationship, I absolutely hated the part in the canyon but loooooved shimmering flats.

Tanaris was probably one of my fav zones. I hated westfall quite a lot but that's probably just because there's a lot of running and no mount at that point.

its been so long since vanilla its hard for me to remember which zones i liked and hated but lets see

zones I liked: darkshore was beautiful but as horde i never quested there, feralas was beautiful but i didnt like questing there

zones i hated: hinterlands..def hated hinterlands, the quests and the layout of the zone

honestly I think most zones looked nice and a lot of them nailed the atmospheres they were trying to go for
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like: (in no particular order)
    Duskwood (Vanilla) - I could stay at that graveyard and catacombs killing undead forever.
    Duskwood (Revamped) - I could stay at that graveyard and catacombs killing undead forever.
    Borean Tundra - Killing undead yeee!
    WPL (Revamped) - Killing undead yeee!
    Hillsbrad Foothills (Vanilla) - Loved all those elite areas to the north.
    Redridge Mountains (Vanilla) - Loved the elite area with the orcs.
    Hinterlands (Vanilla) - Wildhammers! plus i liked the troll quests area.
    Hinterlands (Revamped) - Wildhammers! plus i liked the troll quests area.
    Twilight Highlands - Wildhammers! plus killing crazy cultists.
    Ashenvale - I liked playing my first character there, a troll shaman.
    Vol'dun - I don't know why, i just like it. But i hate that you cannot use leap/hook and such skills anywhere in the zone to get around.
    Blade's Edge Mountains - I don't know why, i just like it.
    Frostfire Ridge - I don't know why, i just like it.
    Spires of Arak - I don't know why, i just like it.
    Kun-Lai Summit - Pleasant and scenic. Plus i love that tibet stuff.
    Jade Forest - Pleasant and scenic.
    Howling Fjord - Pleasant and scenic. Plus nice music
    Grizzly Hills - Pleasant and scenic. Plus nice music
    Uldum - I like ancient stuff.
    Storm Peaks - I like ancient stuff.

Don't like: (in no particular order)
    STV - Way too many pointless kill-quests. Gets tiring quickly.
    Sholazar Basin - Way too many pointless kill-quests. Gets tiring quickly.
    Burning Steppes - Depressing.
    Blasted Lands - Depressing.
    Desolace - Depressing.
    Felwood - Depressing.
    Dustwallow Marsh - Depressing and disgusting.
    Nazmir - Depressing and disgusting.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-04-23 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshouttajail View Post
    Thousand needles is a love/hate relationship, I absolutely hated the part in the canyon but loooooved shimmering flats.
    After a lot of AVs with 4 other guildmates on ventrillo, one of my most memorable and enjoyable dayfull of playing WoW was romping through Shimmering Flats around level 33/34 buddying up without grouping with other horde and battling the same from Alliance. It was just good fortune that no "much" higher levels turned up to spoil it (I think at one point a 42 alliance warlock was there, but otherwise), so it was just a fat brawl for hours and hours
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Wow, a lot of great responses. I think that no matter what zone I am questing through I will love it more than I can say. Even the ones that I don't really like I am going to do it for the story. I have decided to get back into the story & not skip all of the quest test & lore this time. When I first started WoW I would read all of the quest text & even follow some quests until they were concluded, even if they turned white. After Pandaria, though, I started blasting through everything and not really paying attention. I even had an add on to get rid of the quest text & just autocomplete everything. Not this time, I'm going to enjoy the game & the story, even if I get a little behind on the leveling.

I like all of the classic zones tbh. They all got something to them.

But my biggest nostalgia trip and love from classic back then was my first time leveling in Elwyn, Westfall, Darkshire & Redridge Mountains.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow, a lot of great responses. I think that no matter what zone I am questing through I will love it more than I can say. Even the ones that I don't really like I am going to do it for the story. I have decided to get back into the story & not skip all of the quest test & lore this time. When I first started WoW I would read all of the quest text & even follow some quests until they were concluded, even if they turned white. After Pandaria, though, I started blasting through everything and not really paying attention. I even had an add on to get rid of the quest text & just autocomplete everything. Not this time, I'm going to enjoy the game & the story, even if I get a little behind on the leveling.
    Yeah, im going to do this too. I have always done it, but its been many years since I played the classic zones. Cant wait!

Love: Too easy. Too many zones to love...

Favourite would definitely be:
    Ashenvale - mysterious, Night Elf-inspired forest with beautiful music and tranquil violet-blue colour palette. Feralas is very similar.

Least favourite:
    Probably Blasted Lands & Silithus. Subjective, of course, but I just don’t like being in them, doesn’t feel good to me.
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator