The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also worth mentioning that there's rumblings that Patrick Peterson will be traded pre-draft too. Early rumors was to KC but that's been doused.

The Seahawks agreed to trade Clark to the Kansas City Chiefs in exchange for a first-round pick in the 2019 NFL Draft, a 2020 second-round pick and a swap of third-round picks in 2019, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Tuesday, via sources informed of the transaction.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...gn=Twitter_atn

- - - Updated - - -

5 years, 105.5 mil for Clark. 63.5 mil guaranteed.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/sta...52347469221889
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty strange, they gave up a lot to go from Dee Ford to Frank Clark.
    /s

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah makes you wonder what was wrong with Ford if they were willing to give up a first, second, and third, plus pay a record-setting contract for Clark instead.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Pretty strange, they gave up a lot to go from Dee Ford to Frank Clark.
    Seems heavy on the "Grass is greener on the other side".

I like this for Seattle, plenty of good players in the range where they now have 2 picks. Makes it easier to trade down with one of them and pick up a falling edge rusher with the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing about this trade makes sense. It's a whole lot for one defensive end. And not a lineman with a name like Mack or Donald. The Chiefs gave up on Dee Ford just to spend all this for Clark. And he also has issues with domestic violence, which is what caused Kareen Hunt to get dropped. Giving up a lot for a risk when you can just pick someone up in the draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Nothing about this trade makes sense. It's a whole lot for one defensive end. And not a lineman with a name like Mack or Donald. The Chiefs gave up on Dee Ford just to spend all this for Clark. And he also has issues with domestic violence, which is what caused Kareen Hunt to get dropped. Giving up a lot for a risk when you can just pick someone up in the draft.
    Well, in that regard, they could have just sent Dee Ford packing (or kept him), and then picked a Cornerback and a Safety with their first 2 picks and they would have likely done more for their defense then what they did now with Clark.

Analytics have shown that good coverage is worth more than good pass rush, which helps explain why the Seahawks (better backfield then front 7) and Broncos (not as clear a win, but at worst a split between backfield and front 7) defenses were so good and why the Patriots have been good on defense while not having a great pass rush.

After reading a bit into that, I've gone from lamenting the Patriots pass rush to hoping they keep investing in their secondary, even if that means throwing 2nd round picks at players that make you go "who?!". I can live with Bennett and a bunch of pocket pushers and a stellar secondary if that's what keeps the Patriots winning.

There's a tweet out there sourcing an anonymous AFC GM saying "Comparing Dee Ford to Frank Clark is like comparing Joe Flacco to Pat Mahomes."

A couple different tweets, comparing Ford, Clark, and Justin Houston, on how they actually grade out:

https://twitter.com/NateGearyWGR/sta...06735504080898

https://twitter.com/DatRon1713/statu...07595621650433

To summarize: Frank Clark is almost better than Ford and Houston combined. He's a top 5 DE in the NFL. Clark is 25 years old with 32 sacks in the past 3 seasons. Houston is 30 years old, Ford 28, and Clark has only missed one game in 3 years. Ford has had one good season in 5 years in a year when opposing offenses were always chasing and he could pin his ears back and pass rush - he's a liability against the run.

All that being said, I wouldn't have wanted the BIlls to spend that much on him, and Clark was supposedly on their radar.

10+ Year Old Account
    Clark turned 26 a few days ago. Clark is a beast and worth the contract, but I agree with the Seahawks to double down on Wilson and Wagner. Schneider has never paid top dollar for elite pass rush. He worked Bennett with his 2nd contract while on the Seahawks. Pass rush is easy to find in the draft. Things like elite QBs and MLBs not so much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone was questioning that Clark is a better player, just a stiff price to pay to make that upgrade.
    /s

There are reports that Chris Harris Jr is asking for either a $15 mill a year contract or a trade. That is a lot for a corner that is on the back half of their career, so he might be available after the draft.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    There are reports that Chris Harris Jr is asking for either a $15 mill a year contract or a trade. That is a lot for a corner that is on the back half of their career, so he might be available after the draft.
    dude is almost 30 also... pass

10+ Year Old Account

I'm here for the drama and the Draft trades. Let the chaos begin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hang on..

You can choose to pay your QB top dollar and instead trade your star DE, and it's considered a logical move?

Where the **** was that train of thought last season?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Hang on..

You can choose to pay your QB top dollar and instead trade your star DE, and it's considered a logical move?

Where the **** was that train of thought last season?
    Derrick Carr is no Russel Wilson and Clark is no Khalil Mack. If anything the Raiders should have paid and kept Mack and traded Carr. The season would have still been a disaster and you could have picked a QB this draft and sped up the rebuild by one year.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Derrick Carr is no Russel Wilson and Clark is no Khalil Mack. If anything the Raiders should have paid and kept Mack and traded Carr. The season would have still been a disaster and you could have picked a QB this draft and sped up the rebuild by one year.
    You don't draft a QB just to draft a QB. That is how you end up with Paxton Lynch, JP Losman, Kyle Boller, Patrick Ramsey, EJ Manuel, etc.

At this point last year, the top 2 QBs in this draft weren't even starters, and Drew Lock isn't good. They would have had to be completely convinced that Herbert was going to be good and declare for the draft to plan on doing that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm with Grube here.

Go back to before the regular season ended, none of these QBs were talked highly about. It's draft hype and teams desperate for a quarterback that are raising their stock.

Compare that to 2020 where we're already talking Tagovalia as the #1 pick. I wouldn't take a QB in the 1st this year, and so help me god if we do something that stupid I might dive into a rage that puts Esch's Josh Allen rants to shame.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's persistent rumours that the Raiders are going to draft a QB at 4 potentially. There's now also rumours that Washington is trying to get into the top 5 (so ahead of the Giants) to get a QB, apparently Daniel Jones.

Might all be smoke, but it's hilarious smoke none the less. After months of people not being sold on these QB's, we still might end up with 3 in the top 5.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gruden and Mayock are media guys, they have everyone thinking they'll trade up to 1, trade down to help his brother out in Washington, and draft every single player available.

Smoke and mirrors is order of the day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Smoke and mirrors is order of the day.
    Definitely. There's been reports and mocks that have the Patriots take QB Will Grier at 32. Of all the unbelievable things I have heard that's about the most impressively ludicrous one.