Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The D word will be as offensive as the N word': The term 'disabled' is insulting.

Old article but.. fuck it this is "Disabled" as fuck.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...kers-plan.html

'The D word will be as offensive as the N word': The term 'disabled' is insulting and should be replaced by 'Access Inclusion Seekers'

Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore is considering a plan to normalise the term 'Access Inclusion Seekers' when referring to disabled people.

The City Council is revamping their disability policies, with the council's inclusion expert advisory panel now claiming the 'd' word may soon be as offensive as the 'n' word.

One on the panel, Mark Tonga, said using the term 'disabled' portrays people as having 'less capacity and less ability,' The Daily Telegraph reports.
    'Disability is a subliminal pejorative for many. It's negative. Perhaps sooner than you think, the "d" work will be as offensive as the "n" word is now,' he said.

But Dr Jeremy Sammut, Centre for Independent Studies research fellow, disagreed.

He claimed that policing the language people used was unnecessary and argued issues about inclusion had been dealt with in the past.

'Social attitudes to disability have already changed and almost no one stigmatises and diminishes what people with disability can and should achieve,' Dr Sammut said.

'This is the reason why there is national support for the NDIS... the term "Access Inclusion Seekers" would be very patronising surely when these people think of someone "disabled" as being someone like... Dylan Alcott,' he said.

A council spokeswoman said Mr Tonga was a valuable member of the advisory panel and that they would consider his submission.
    Genius plan. I'm sure the words "Access Inclusion Seekers" people are gonna catch on quick. Almost nobody I have ever met has ever considered someone with a "D*********" someone who should be mocked and ridiculed because of said word.
    Last edited by Mister Cheese; 2019-04-23 at 10:21 PM.

Fuck me, access inclusion seekers sounds worse.

Every insult is offensive. Literally every single one. Shut the fuck up.

I though "cripple" was the hateful word here. (in my country we call a wheelchair "cripple car")
    "Retard" was already pushed away when reffering to downies and such. (Or something like "Idiot savant").
    Looks like "handycapped" follows next.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Access Inclusion Seekers? Sounds like some kind of comic book galactic group of bad guys lmao.

Comparing the word 'disabled' (a legitimate adjective) to the word 'n****r' (a hate word) is just beyond ridiculous and reeks of people looking to be offended by anything and everything.
    Strangely enough, 'nigger' actually came about from American ignorance and inability to pronounce the correct legitimate adjective 'negro.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Every insult is offensive. Literally every single one. Shut the fuck up.
    Except disabled isn't even an insult.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Except disabled isn't even an insult.
    Neither is negro.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Fuck me, access inclusion seekers sounds worse.
    It seems to me the further down the rabbit hole people go with these "alternatives" the more idiotic it sounds. Eventually that will be insulting as well.
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte Aorus X570S Elite AX | Teamgroup DDR4 4000mhz 32GB RAM | Zotac RTX 4070 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB + SK Hynix P41 Platinum 1TB | Windows 11 Pro

“When you've burned the bridges behind you, don't go starting a fire on the one in front of you.” ― Steven Erikson, The Bonehunters

*shrugs*
    A person is what s/he is...a blind man...paraplegic... a damn fool, they are what they are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Context is everything, I am not against there being a sensitivity over words, words can do more than hurt feelings. Everybody has a certain way they feel about a word or language.

Language is tied to how we think, and how we feel about someone or something. I do my best to use language that shows sensitivity, however some people might actually be offended if you don't use certain language over others.

If someone doesn't know, I don't think it's necessary to take someones head off, however if they do know and don't care then treat them accordingly.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Stood in the Fire Fixxit the Gnome's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    This article is clearly attempting to bait outrage about SJWs from the anti-PC crowd.
    - Dare not to sleep -

10+ Year Old Account
    One on the panel, Mark Tonga, said using the term 'disabled' portrays people as having 'less capacity and less ability'
    ???

That's a literal fact though...

I say that as a fucking cripple. I have less capacity and less ability than an able bodied person.

The fuck is wrong with these people?

nigger/neggro , retarded ,fuck ect

all of those are just words , i don't understand what's the big deal in speaking them beside in the presence of children
    but to fair i'm not american so i could miss something

im just gonna go ahead and leave this here, and honestly be surprised if i dont get reported.

WARNING: if you are easily hurt by words, you may not want to open this.

Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    Depends on the context.

If you're speaking Spanish it probably isnt
    It was learned from dealing with spanish speaking traders and coupled with ignorance of the spanish language, it became part of the english language at the time. Of course calling someone by their skin color is not acceptable, but my point was that the word itself is an accurate descriptor.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    ???

That's a literal fact though...

I say that as a fucking cripple. I have less capacity and less ability than an able bodied person.

The fuck is wrong with these people?
    Everyone's equal man, do you not get it?
    Reality is a social construct.

You must fight it at every turn. #RESIST

Not sure what's worse. The absolute bullcrap the daily Mail wrote. Or the fact that people still believe the bullcrap that the Daily Mail write.

Either way obligatory Daily Mail song.

im disabled. i find no offense in the word disabled.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    I would argue even the word 'negro' is wildly more offensive than calling somebody disabled
    Of course calling someone by a physical attribute they possess instead of their name is rude. Saying it's "more" offensive is simply a personal opinion.

I believe it.

They just changed the name of the disabled list to injured list in baseball because disability advocates whined about it.
    Last edited by GutsAP; 2019-04-23 at 10:43 PM.