10+ Year Old Account

The future of World of Warcraft: Legacy servers

Everyone is super excited about the reality of re-living Vanilla all over again. Some of us are counting the seconds. Its an exciting time.

I had a quick thought on my way to work, that everyone here has their favorite xpac. Some say BC, some say Wrath and wouldn't you know it, some say it was WoD.

Regardless of what your favorite was, it seems like Legacy dedication is a viable company model that Blizzard can focus on to keep the lights on and keep players paying.

Think about it, Vanilla, BC, Wrath, etc etc legacy servers at our disposal. You could do 4.2k DPS doing OS3D or you can spend your time putting on that fire resistance gear that made all the difference in Molten Core or BWL...

I suppose the most obvious question is: Is the future of WoW going to be the past?

Thoughts!

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, Legacy servers were downvoted for classic.

And honestly, hope we won't get a classic of each expansion, for it would be waste to have a secondary franchise copy running a few versions behind.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    You might want to wait and see if classic succeeds before making plans for other stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they do TBC and Wrath. I look forward to classic, but I'd much rather have one of those. Personally I'd also love a MoP server, but I don't think there would be enough interest to justify servers past Wrath.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Is the future of WoW going to be the past?

Thoughts!
    The future of WoW is appealing to many demographics, which includes Classic. That's why Reforged is being made too, it's to appeal to the WoW players who haven't played Warcraft 3. It's in Blizzard's interest to both keep expanding the game and offer avenues to play some classic versions.

I don't know if visiting the past by separating all the expansions as 'relevant content' is a good thing though, because all this does is split the playerbase into chunks where every expansion has a very limited pool to draw from, and you can never fill a raid team when you want to play. That is bad.

What I can see happening is if they bring back old content through Timewalking Raids and such. But no, I don't think it's a good thing to segment more iterations of expansions, unless they plan for Classic to progress beyond Vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sadly, Legacy servers were downvoted for classic.

And honestly, hope we won't get a classic of each expansion, for it would be waste to have a secondary franchise copy running a few versions behind.
    it makes sense to release them one by one and not all at the same time..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craaazyyy View Post
    it makes sense to release them one by one and not all at the same time..
    Doesn't really make sense at all to have an outdated version of your primary franchise running in the background, for it'll get to a point where people will start over demanding another untouched classic.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If that's the future than it's already dead.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Doesn't really make sense at all to have an outdated version of your primary franchise running in the background, for it'll get to a point where people will start over demanding another untouched classic.
    it does, otherwise they wouldnt be doing it

also i bet if they were to release TBC Vanilla servers would still stay, its just that you'll be able to transfer your characters to TBC realms

10+ Year Old Account

also i bet if they were to release TBC Vanilla servers would still stay, its just that you'll be able to transfer your characters to TBC realms
    Sounds like waste of resources if they are to deploy 6 or so server blades pr. expansion pr. region as an outdated product to still be paid by upkeep of the updated franchise.

In the end, we would have what? 42 server blades and counting, just to give access to their outdated versions. It was great you got Classic WoW but I can see that as a drawn out longstanding project, for if we started going on with more and more - you'll hit the line where the population is more or less watered down so much..

Quote Originally Posted by Sanstos View Post
    Everyone is super excited about the reality of re-living Vanilla all over again.
    Nah. Played that 15 years ago, don't need to do it again. I might pop in just for nostalgia's sake, but I can't imagine devoting any significant time to it.
    Xal'atath whispers: Your allies consider me a bad influence. Yet all I've ever done is speed you along the path you chose.

I think classic will be successfull at start. As like Wildstar was successfull at start.

I look forward to the classic, want to wait and see if classic succeeds before making plans for other stuff.

Doubt it. There may be enough of a dedicated playerbase for a couple of BC servers but anything beyond that is probably wishful thinking.

Why would blizzard allow free transfers? More money if you just started from 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

I think a WotLK legacy server could be successfull.

3+ Year Old Account
    New and original idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread really belongs in the Classic WoW forum where it would join other threads about the same topic.

So we'll close it instead and direct everyone to the Classic Forum. You can start with this one. There are others.

https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ou-like-to-see
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."