Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Where your bleeding heart liberalism meets reality

Canadian CBC television invites terrorist & murderer Omar Khadr to talkshow

Edit: After looking further and finding this: http://www.pouromarkhadr.com/photos/...oquer/?lang=en I apologize for making this thread.

I do not know if he is innocent, but he does not deserve what he went through as a minor, especially since he was dragged into this by his parents when he was eight years old.
    Last edited by Donatello Trumpi; 2019-04-25 at 12:36 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The man is obviously a trash human being and should probably be in jail with zero compensation. The problem however is that you either abide by the law that governs your country or you don't.

It's really easy to jump on this story with a particular agenda without understanding why he was compensated to begin with. The government would have lost in court in a long drawn out case, he would have still been set free, and finally he would have been granted far more money then what was settled on.

Pretty fucking pathetic but its a clown world

He killed an American, not a Canadian, and he was 15 at the time. Despite that he was still incarcerated and tortured in Gitmo for years while the Canadian government dithered and did little but interrogate him in turn. He also went back on his guilty plea RE the slain American soldier, claiming his confession was obtained via torture as well.

I'm not a fan of him getting 10M$ (which was granted by a settlement in a lawsuit, not given by the government BTW), but the idea of dragging a child soldier to Gitmo and sentence him for shit that happens in wars (IE soldiers killing other soldiers) was always patently ridiculous to me. In any case, Canadian law has stated that he served his sentence for the crime he committed, he's now a free man and talk shows have the right to invite whomever they wish, last I checked.

the canadian government gave him 10mil i think?

I'm not a fan of him getting 10M$ (which was granted by a settlement in a lawsuit, not given by the government BTW),
    taken from post above mine, i did not know
    Last edited by Gravity2015; 2019-04-24 at 10:18 PM.
    "We will not compromise our standards to release a title before it is ready."
    WoW T.W.O ( The Wars Over )

Well this is a lot more complicated than you made it out to be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khadr

He was a 15 year old minor at the time, and is alleged although never proved with absolutely certainty that he threw the grenade that killed the US soldier.

He seems to have grown out of the whole Terrorism shit his parents dragged him into, even taken responsibility for an act that is not 100% certain he committed, after spending years in illegal detention without trial or conviction.

So, yeah...this is a lot more complicated than you make it out to be.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    He killed an American, not a Canadian, and he was 15 at the time. Despite that he was still incarcerated and tortured in Gitmo for years while the Canadian government dithered and did little but interrogate him in turn. He also went back on his guilty plea RE the slain American soldier, claiming his confession was obtained via torture as well.

I'm not a fan of him getting 10M$ (which was granted by a settlement in a lawsuit, not given by the government BTW), but the idea of dragging a child soldier to Gitmo and sentence him for shit that happens in wars (IE soldiers killing other soldiers) was always patently ridiculous to me. In any case, Canadian law has stated that he served his sentence for the crime he committed, he's now a free man and talk shows have the right to invite whomever they wish, last I checked.
    Since when are terrorists considered soliders?

Oh you mean the former child soldier who was forced to plead guilty to a sham military tribunal or never leave Guantanamo Bay and continued to be tortured? A trial in which the combat report changed 4 times and photographic evidence showed that he was buried under rubble when Speers died? And the compensation he was given after 2 consecutive Canadian governments fucked him out of his rights while imprisoned in America's legal limbo prison?

Yeah nah fuck off OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    The man is obviously a trash human being and should probably be in jail with zero compensation. The problem however is that you either abide by the law that governs your country or you don't.

It's really easy to jump on this story with a particular agenda without understanding why he was compensated to begin with. The government would have lost in court in a long drawn out case, he would have still been set free, and finally he would have been granted far more money then what was settled on.
    Read up on the guy a bit. I'm not convinced by the whole "trash human being" argument. He was a child soldier dragged into a conflict by his parents. Hardly fits the profile of a "trash human being".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tabrotar View Post
    Not since we decided to arbitrarily class enemy combatants as terrorists...while we are invading their country. Also...more importantly...He was 15, dragged into the whole thing by his parents.

He was not considered an enemy soldier. Then the U.S would have to follow the Geneva convention.

Yeah, I really do suggest people read his case first before posting emotional comments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is this any different than inviting mafia members on a talk show?
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Since they are treated as enemy combatants by military commissions accusing them of war crimes?

Read up on the guy a bit. The legal ramification behind his conviction is... not very convincing, to say the least.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Since they are treated as enemy combatants by military commissions accusing them of war crimes?

Read up on the guy a bit. The legal ramification behind his conviction is... not very convincing, to say the least.
    The OP doesn't care about truth. Only on what he can use to push his agenda. I doubt he cares much about anything except pushing that agenda, IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    Read up on the guy a bit. I'm not convinced by the whole "trash human being" argument. He was a child soldier dragged into a conflict by his parents. Hardly fits the profile of a "trash human being".
    I mean most people I see posting about this on my facebook (whenever this comes up), generally cite that it's simply because the government sympathizes with terrorists, and by leading this type of life you get compensated for it instead of being a rule abiding Canadian.

Maybe trash human being is a bit far but I think it's completely fair to be annoyed that he was compensated over 10 million dollars. The problem I take with the case as a whole is people use this as political ammunition, and completely ignore the fact that he was both a minor and tortured. Regardless of position, you either follow the law or you don't. The story is indeed more complicated than the "government gave a terrorist 10 million dollars WTF", which is unfortunately as far as certain people want to take this case.

Probably when you declare a "war on terror" and engage in military operations against them.

Trump supporter not caring about the rule of law. I am shocked by this development.

Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    I mean most people I see posting about this on my facebook (whenever this comes up), generally cite that it's simply because the government sympathizes with terrorists, and by leading this type of life you get compensated for it instead of being a rule abiding Canadian.

Maybe trash human being is a bit far but I think it's completely fair to be annoyed that he was compensated over 10 million dollars. The problem I take with the case as a whole is people use this as political ammunition, and completely ignore the fact that he was both a minor and tortured. Regardless of position, you either follow the law or you don't. The story is indeed more complicated than the "government gave a terrorist 10 million dollars WTF", which is unfortunately as far as certain people want to take this case.
    I would have thought better of Khadr had he decided to forgo any pursuit of the government and simply left the public space once freed. On the other hand, he WAS imprisoned for years in extremely questionable conditions and served a total sham of a trial that would have been thrown out of any Common Law criminal court. The Supreme Court unanimously ruled that the Canadian government pissed all over his rights as a Canadian citizen for political convenience, and to leave such a thing unpunished would also have left a bad taste in my mouth.

It's a complicated situation, really. But Canadian law is absolutely, 100% on Khadr's side in this.

I spent 5 minutes actually reading about this guy and didn't find anything to support that he's a terrorist.

10+ Year Old Account
    OPs grand twisting of the truth has caused me to learn a lot more about this man than I wanted to.

Resident Cosplay Progressive