Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Also the trend of the alliance getting 'upgrade' races instead of allied races that actually FEEL like unique cultures/peoples like the horde gets.
    yeah, it's funny how only the highmountain really work that way for horde. even then, they're a unique tauren culture with some different customs.

guess you could say the same for dark irons for alliance though.

Quote Originally Posted by The-Shan View Post
    Also the trend of the alliance getting 'upgrade' races instead of allied races that actually FEEL like unique cultures/peoples like the horde gets.
    I'm really bitter about this.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    yeah, it's funny how only the highmountain really work that way for horde. even then, they're a unique tauren culture with some different customs.

guess you could say the same for dark irons for alliance though.
    Highmountain did get a lot whole culture that makes them a little apart from other tauren. Eagle-riding, river magic, drogbar allies, a black dragon sage, interesting characters like Lasan, Jale and Navarrog... I say that the highmountain are so interesting that they are being underutilized in BfA.

And dark irons are also a classic race that we have a long history with, it's not something Blizzard pulled out of nowhere.

But the rest of the Alliance allied races... They are just small groups of "normal race enhanced by something" and had no sufficient development or exposure before they were made playable. Lightforged barely got any spotlight, even in Argus they were just our sidekicks and were never explored deeply. Void elves are a joke of a race, literally pulled out of nowhere and barely fleshed out. For someone who likes lore, it's really hard to connect with both of them.

At least the junkers will get some time to shine. Who knows, maybe they are charismatic and interesting lorewise, but I really doubt there'll be a lot of people interested in playing them. Kul tiran numbers pale in comparison with Zandalari nowadays, and no one can't say kul tirans weren't fleshed out well nor that they are a copy-paste race.

I don't mind getting some niche races. Everything has some fans, after all. But, when all we get are niche races, it's really frustrating. How come Alliance has four (soon five) races and I can't get excited for any of them?
    Whatever...

I personally like them. Always liked the Gnomes. I had a Gnome Lock and Rogue in Vanilla when i still played Alli. I'd probably make one. I hope that their Heritage Armor has several tints.
    Because it would be cool if the armor pieces all have turning gears and such on them. So that, if you wear the full set you'll look 100% robo Gnome.

Besides, Gnome fans deserve a little love. They're literally been ignored since Vanilla. I loved seeing Gelbin running around in his Mech blasting fools.
    Yohohoho

Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Yeah, that’s kind of the mantra for quite a few allied races so far on alliance side. Dark iron dwarves are the same way, LFDs are the biggest example of this. Dark irons have a lot of lore at least though while LFDs could’ve easily been extra customization for Draenei. .
    I know that, and I kind of saw this retort coming and was going to preface my opinion with a rebuttal, but decided to wait if anyone would bring it up. Yeah, LF Draenei are like pretty much just regular draenei with tattoos. But that doesn't bother me because unlocking them was so easy, I practically did it while unlocking Void Elves, so it was like a free bonus. Dark Iron Dwarves look vastly different than their Bronzebeard brothers, at least to me, looking at a DI Dwarf is just badass, it's a total re-skin. Maybe I'm biased because I like DI Dwarf lore so much and find their look very distinct. It's why I preferred getting them over tattooed dwarves.

The thing with gnomes is, gnomes are like the least playable race on the alliance. So while the Horde gets a complete new race that just shares the Goblin rig, the alliance, for their least played race, gets the same race with metal arms and legs that will be covered up by pants and sleeves anyway. For me, it's hard to get excited for. Vulpera obviously required much more work than Mecha Gnomes.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vyomesh2 View Post
    Besides, Gnome fans deserve a little love. They're literally been ignored since Vanilla. I loved seeing Gelbin running around in his Mech blasting fools.
    This is completely true, let me start there.

But I find it hilarious nonetheless, because if you try and take this attitude to Horde side and say Goblin fans deserve a little love and haven't had much then you'll get shit on by all the Vulpera fans who want to have incoming Vulpera.

Let's all be honest with each other, Horde getting Vulpera as a "goblin's Allied Race" is very one-sided compared to Mechagnomes as a "gnome's Allied Race".

Few people, if any, are going to defend receiving something like Gilbins over Vulpera. Whereas it's very obvious the majority of people are not excited for Mechagnomes yet we see more people coming to their defense than those that would come to defend Gilbins over Vulpera.

My take is that whenever the community sees that something is going to inevitably be added into the game, then support for it increases not just by the fans of that addition, but by those that know it's going to come into the game anyway so might as well accept it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    with metal arms and legs that will be covered up by pants and sleeves anyway.
    Blizzard in their most recent Q&A I believe said tmog options to hide everything but pants is incoming with 8.2 (or maybe 8.2.5). People now see it's probably because of a race like mechagnome that they decided to go ahead and allow this. Now Mechagnomes, along with other races with tattoos customization will get to show them off.

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post

But I find it hilarious nonetheless, because if you try and take this attitude to Horde side and say Goblin fans deserve a little love and haven't had much then you'll get shit on by all the Vulpera fans who want to have incoming Vulpera.

Let's all be honest with each other, Horde getting Vulpera as a "goblin's Allied Race" is very one-sided compared to Mechagnomes as a "gnome's Allied Race".

Few people, if any, are going to defend receiving something like Gilbins over Vulpera. Whereas it's very obvious the majority of people are not excited for Mechagnomes yet we see more people coming to their defense than those that would come to defend Gilbins over Vulpera.

My take is that whenever the community sees that something is going to inevitably be added into the game, then support for it increases not just by the fans of that addition, but by those that know it's going to come into the game anyway so might as well accept it.

- - - Updated - - -

Blizzard in their most recent Q&A I believe said tmog options to hide everything but pants is incoming with 8.2 (or maybe 8.2.5). People now see it's probably because of a race like mechagnome that they decided to go ahead and allow this. Now Mechagnomes, along with other races with tattoos customization will get to show them off.

It wouldn't surprise me if Mechagnomes get added that they will be allowed to hide trousers. Not a racial, just an option they get specially so the mechanical legs can be made visible.

Quote Originally Posted by FlubberPuddy View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I would personally favor the Vulpera. Even though i like Goblins, Gilblins are just dumber(in Lore, not as in my opinion) water Goblins. Now true, they might get some big developments in 8.2, bit at the moment they're really not that interesting to me. What i like about Warcraft Gobos is how crazy and explosive they are, while also being greedy Brooklyn accent having little shits. Gilblins where literally stripped of all their personality.
    Yohohoho

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    Don't know about other classes/specs, but I'm leveling Arms Warrior right now and pull 6 to 8 mobs at a time and I'm perfectly fine. Don't know what difficulty you believe there to be, but you're greatly exaggerating it's existence. The only difficulty in leveling right now is actually finding another person for a group quest or coming across a poorly balanced quest due to the scaling.
    Prior to 7.3.5 you could literally chain pull absolutely everything in the area while in heirlooms.
    Speciation Is Gradual

On a sidenote I have no idea how LFD became an allied race as opposed to a customization option while broken were an obvious choice. They have rich lore, look physically different than all the other races and we just met a ton of them surviving on argus. The rep required for LFD was Argussian reach as well.
    The answer is there was no female model so they would have to whip one up. Even if they did, the females would be "rugged" looking based on the males and it seems most people don't want to play an ugly female character. Have you seen the female broken from the manga?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibuhl View Post
    True, but just check out the sleep-aimation for example
    Where do you suggest I go to see that? I can't recall ever seeing them lay down to sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    No, I'm saying that it should be treated similar to how races were treated in the past. You buy the expansion, you get the race, simple. In this case, if you buy the expansion, you should get the allied race. The extra hoops that they're giving you to jump through are unnecessary and completely new. There was no precedent for this before allied races, therefore this is not the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

Alliance and Horde also had rep for the Nightfallen, but only the Horde wound up getting their butchered form as playable.
    Change. Is. Not. Bad. Saying "that's the way it's always been done so doing it a new way is bad" is a pretty blatant logical fallacy.

SWTOR had a similar thing with their unlockable races and I didn't see any complaining that "I should be able to play every race right from the start".

Here's some reading on the subject: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...edItNowItSucks
    Last edited by cparle87; 2019-04-25 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post
    The answer is there was no female model so they would have to whip one up. Even if they did, the females would be "rugged" looking based on the males and it seems most people don't want to play an ugly female character. Have you seen the female broken from the manga?
    No I don’t think I’ve ever seen that actually. I agree that nobody wants to play an ugly female character or an ugly character in general but honestly I think broken being “ugly” is what makes them different anyway. They’re already ugly, that’s what they’re supposed to be. I think there’d be a different standard here, not many seem to like playing as a fat ugly human but broken are an alien race that are deformed. It’s a part of their history and lore. LFD are just regular Draenei that go through a fairly quick process and become Lightforged. There’s not much of a difference outside of a few hairstyles, golden eyes, golden hooves and the choice of 1 forehead symbol all of which can’t be seen with gear on anyway.

The female models could definitely be something they didn’t want to have to make though. I don’t think them being ugly would stop people from playing them considering that’s just what they are and what they’re supposed to be so people would be willing to embrace that. KT females and KTs in general are held to a different standard imo.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2019-04-25 at 06:31 AM.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Where do you suggest I go to see that? I can't recall ever seeing them lay down to sleep.

- - - Updated - - -

Change. Is. Not. Bad. Saying "that's the way it's always been done so doing it a new way is bad" is a pretty blatant logical fallacy.

SWTOR had a similar thing with their unlockable races and I didn't see any complaining that "I should be able to play every race right from the start".

Here's some reading on the subject: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...edItNowItSucks
    You can check it out here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanibuhl View Post
    You can check it out here!
    That's really cool. Thanks.

If you could share the picture of them that’d be great I can’t seem to find it. I agree it’s a whole gender of a species they’d have to develop. I’m sure blizzard wouldn’t have made them super ugly though, probably hunched and thinned female Draenei with sharp teeth.

- - - Updated - - -

No I don’t think I’ve ever seen that actually. I agree that nobody wants to play an ugly female character or an ugly character in general but honestly I think broken being “ugly” is what makes them different anyway. They’re already ugly, that’s what they’re supposed to be. I think there’d be a different standard here, not many seem to like playing as a fat ugly human but broken are an alien race that are deformed. It’s a part of their history and lore. LFD are just regular Draenei that go through a fairly quick process and become Lightforged. There’s not much of a difference outside of a few hairstyles, golden eyes, golden hooves and the choice of 1 forehead symbol all of which can’t be seen with gear on anyway.

The female models could definitely be something they didn’t want to have to make though. I don’t think them being ugly would stop people from playing them considering that’s just what they are and what they’re supposed to be so people would be willing to embrace that. KT females and KTs in general are held to a different standard imo.
    High mountain got about the same treatment as LFD. They’re regular Tauren with antlers and tats instead of horns.

I think Blizzard could make female broken somewhat appealing, in an alien way. They are not bound by the comic, the game comes first. They can just take the female draenei model and apply changes similar to the males, while toning them down a bit to not be too unsettling. For instance: removing the nose, but not extending the mouth; reducing fingers to 3; Not multiplying tails; replacing normal hair for "hair" made of tick tentacles. And so on. Still feminine, still alien, but not ugly.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by wanax View Post
    High mountain got about the same treatment as LFD. They’re regular Tauren with antlers and tats instead of horns.
    Highmountain got a lot of lore, at least. They may look like tauren, but they have several unique perks, like the eagle mounts, the river magic, the drogbar allies. You can tell stories with a tauren and a highmountain that make them feel different, and I think the highmountain are underutilized in BfA, as most of their unique aspects have not been presented so far.
    Whatever...

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    That's really cool. Thanks.
    Neat huh?
    They really make them feel unique, even though they share some animations..

Quote Originally Posted by wanax View Post
    If you could share the picture of them that’d be great I can’t seem to find it. I agree it’s a whole gender of a species they’d have to develop. I’m sure blizzard wouldn’t have made them super ugly though, probably hunched and thinned female Draenei with sharp teeth.

I realize Blizzard isn't bound by the manga and I'd love a more alien looking female model to play as, but I still think making female broken (ugly or not) would be too much work for what they want to do with an allied race. Pretty sure the work that went into Kul Tiran is an outlier and I wouldn't be surprised if they use them for a mok'nathal or some other allied race in the future to get their money's worth.

Broken draenei would be extremely unpopular and probably the ugliest race in the game, and not "strong, epic and ugly" like orcs or dwarfs, just old and deformed ugly.

10+ Year Old Account
    At first i was not fan of the idea, as what was shown was a bit lackluster, but i think that they look cool in their own right, though i would still like some extra costumization (mainly for more mechanical chests and backs).

Also... this is something that bothers me with all Alliance allied race, that they are more than a culture than a race, and a culture that can be taken by other races, so... WHY DON'T THEY?!

Why don't we see Lightforged Humans (The humans see Turalyon with a lot of respect), why don't we get other races of the Alliance dwelving with the Void? (like the Dark Iron or Gnomes!), if these guys become a thing, why don't more Alliance races look for mechanisation (even if its just partial, like Dwarves!)

I realize Blizzard isn't bound by the manga and I'd love a more alien looking female model to play as, but I still think making female broken (ugly or not) would be too much work for what they want to do with an allied race. Pretty sure the work that went into Kul Tiran is an outlier and I wouldn't be surprised if they use them for a mok'nathal or some other allied race in the future to get their money's worth.
    Thanks for posting that! Ya know...they could probably use Fem Orc for the body. maybe hunch it a little like Female undead. change the face and add a tail or 3.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by allegrian View Post
    Broken draenei would be extremely unpopular and probably the ugliest race in the game, and not "strong, epic and ugly" like orcs or dwarfs, just old and deformed ugly.
    Undead are old and deformed ugly and are fairly popular.