Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What is your favored loot distribution system for your situation come Classic servers

I'd appreciate your guys' opinions on the matter of what you think would be the most fitting loot distribution rule set (DKP, Loot Council, EPGP, Suicide Kings, ...) for your raid guild situation come the release of Blizzards Classic servers.

Whether you already are part of a long-standing community (Pserver or not) whose members know each other in and out, whether you are an officer in that guild, a dedicated or casual raider, or you're having a fresh start and want to join a new raiding guild, or whether you even start up a new guild yourself when Classic releases. Every point of view matters to me.

How will you distribute loot (in the case of a leadership position) or would you like to see loot being distributed (in the case of a raid member) amongst you and your fellow raid members?

I believe a guild's situation matters, and progression guilds may use different methods that might not work for casual raiding guilds, while newly established communities may not satisfy their members if they distribute loot the same way that a well-established guild does.

What I'm hoping to get out of this thread is an understanding of what different types of players (who are turning to raiding at max level) are looking for in their guilds loot distribution rule sets.

And I'm not making this a poll because I'm also hoping for more complex answers than just "dkp all the way". Please elaborate on your thoughts, like, if it's a DKP system, are your points being decayed over time to ensure newer players a chance to catch up.

Perfect scenario = Lootcouncil with mature players/officiers. Very rare.

For most guilds DKP system where highest dkp holder wins item at fixed cost is best.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post

For most guilds DKP system where highest dkp holder wins item at fixed cost is best.
    Pretty much this.
    Finding a loot council that doesn't have a boyfriend+girlfriend wombo combo or someone trying to game it for their own interest is as said, extremely rare unfortunately.

The drops are all known ten times over.

The best loot distribution system is a google doc accessable by every guildy clearly showing who has the next "X item" the next 3 times it drops (assuming it is possible for 2x an item to drop at a time). This priority is determined by the loot council and everyone knows what is what and with any luck "why" as well. The page should be updated after every raid by the loot council to reflect the changes, and any time there is a roster change. This way the raid can continue to clear trash while the Master looter quickly checks the page and distributes, and no time is wasted debating who should have got what during the raid itself as there is the other 160+ hours of the week in which to have that discussion.

EG. Band of Accuria - Prio order Jimbob (Main Tank), Billie Ray (Rogue), Carlton (Fury Warrior).

Then when Rag is killed and 2 drop no one is asking "Ooooh, who gets them?" It's just "Grats Jimbob and Bille Ray, GG WP" and you move on.

(Edit: There are only 168 hours in a week not 188 maths is hard.)
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-07-10 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    Pretty much this.
    Finding a loot council that doesn't have a boyfriend+girlfriend wombo combo or someone trying to game it for their own interest is as said, extremely rare unfortunately.
    U get these shitty loot council when u do loot council in a normal/hc "raiding" guild

Actual mythic guilds got proper lootcouncil, but im guessing u have zero experience with that
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    U get these shitty loot council when u do loot council in a normal/hc "raiding" guild

Actual mythic guilds got proper lootcouncil, but im guessing u have zero experience with that
    You're in the Classic section.
    Mythic doesn't exist in Classic.

Carry on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    You're in the Classic section.
    Mythic doesn't exist in Classic.

Carry on.
    Let me change it from mythic guild to "actual raiding guild and not one of those cesspool guilds" will have proper lootcouncil.

People who will be fucked by "shittty lootcouncil" are in these cesspool guilds and they should see all the redflags even before they set foot in a raid.
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post

Yeah, been reading that a lot in related discussions. Isn't it also the case, that with a new roster trust is hard to earn, even if the loot council tries its best to distribute fairly?

What would make a group of strangers deciding about your loot earn your trust in that case?

- - - Updated - - -

Let me change it from mythic guild to "actual raiding guild and not one of those cesspool guilds" will have proper lootcouncil.

People who will be fucked by "shittty lootcouncil" are in these cesspool guilds and they should see all the redflags even before they set foot in a raid.
    I'd love to hear your opinion on what you'd see as an indication that this is going to be a shitty council. Some examples of red flags from your opinion

10+ Year Old Account
    EPGP 10 characters

10+ Year Old Account
    FFA for lolz
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

ffa whoever picks it up first gets it.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    The drops are all known ten times over.

The best loot distribution system is a google doc accessable by every guildy clearly showing who has the next "X item" the next 3 times it drops (assuming it is possible for 2x an item to drop at a time). This priority is determined by the loot council and everyone knows what is what and with any luck "why" as well. The page should be updated after every raid by the loot council to reflect the changes, and any time there is a roster change. This way the raid can continue to clear trash while the Master looter quickly checks the page and distributes, and no time is wasted debating who should have got what during the raid itself as there is the other 180+ hours of the week in which to have that discussion.

EG. Band of Accuria - Prio order Jimbob (Main Tank), Billie Ray (Rogue), Carlton (Fury Warrior).

Then when Rag is killed and 2 drop no one is asking "Ooooh, who gets them?" It's just "Grats Jimbob and Bille Ray, GG WP" and you move on.
    Appreciate your input, haven't thought about being transparent that deeply. Your system makes sense, since loot drama could be kept outside of actual raiding hours, and I like the level of transparency.

On the downside, it sounds like a lot of work (if you have to incorporate 40+ people) and makes me wonder, if people stop showing up to certain raids, because they're not #1 on the list for their most beloved item (similar to what's being said about the Suicide Kings system).

Did you use a system like this already? What's your practical experience in that regard

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xindralol View Post
    ffa whoever picks it up first gets it.
    To spice things up during farm, why not. Not the worst idea I came accross

Using loot council so far where we take how big of an upgrade things are, for what purpose it will be used and if it's bis or not.

So far it works great, even as a new player in the guild I got loot. Was against loot council because I imagined it would be abused heavily, but glad we are using it now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noragrets View Post
    Yeah, been reading that a lot in related discussions. Isn't it also the case, that with a new roster trust is hard to earn, even if the loot council tries its best to distribute fairly?

What would make a group of strangers deciding about your loot earn your trust in that case?

- - - Updated - - -

I'd love to hear your opinion on what you'd see as an indication that this is going to be a shitty council. Some examples of red flags from your opinion
    If RL/GM are a couple (not always bad, but often quite bad)
    The officers only do things as a small group, 5mans etc
    Poor recruitment requirements
    Relaxed/low gear raid requirements, not expecting ppl to be geared to a certain point.
    Cant thing of much more, as i havnt really been in these sort of guilds in all my years.
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    /s

All raidiing in modern WoW... including Mythic, is a joke. But hey... if it somehow makes you feel good to sound "leet" in an absolutely snorefest game... you do you!

Personal loot! :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    All raidiing in modern WoW... including Mythic, is a joke. But hey... if it somehow makes you feel good to sound "leet" in an absolutely snorefest game... you do you!
    Ah yes, all these complex mechanics in classic raids, they truely outshine every and any mythic raid boss in Legion/BFA
    Mythic Argus is such a snoozefest compared to the kings of difficulty like Ragnaros, with having to STACK for sons to be killed and standing under a ledge to avoid the knockbacks, truely complex stuff.
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    /s

Ah yes, all these complex mechanics in classic raids, they truely outshine every and any mythic raid boss in Legion/BFA
    Mythic Argus is such a snoozefest compared to the kings of difficulty like Ragnaros, with having to STACK for sons to be killed and standing under a ledge to avoid the knockbacks, truely complex stuff.
    Vanilla Naxx would like to speak with you.

And those raids? Didn't have a built in Raid Journal telling you EVERYTHING that was going to happen and how your class should deal with it.
    In Vanilla there was much preparation involved before you could even attempt to enter the raid.. from gearing by farming dungeons and other raids, to attunements, to gathering a plethora of raid consumables including weapon stones/oils...

Now you can just go spam the world quests and world bosses, maybe run through an easier version of the raid to pick up some easy items, then just walk right into Mythic. You have what... a couple pots and a flask you need? LOL

Vanilla required investment to raid... current WoW? Any dolt can go raiding, follow a "manual" on what to do and when, and kill bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by noragrets View Post
    On the downside, it sounds like a lot of work (if you have to incorporate 40+ people) and makes me wonder, if people stop showing up to certain raids, because they're not #1 on the list for their most beloved item (similar to what's being said about the Suicide Kings system).

Did you use a system like this already? What's your practical experience in that regard
    It was the system that the guild I was in on a pirate server used.

It actually doesn't have to factor in 40 people really; it factors in a maximum of "no. of loot drops that tier x3". Yeah it's a bit of work for the person responsible to set up initially but once it is rolling it takes very little time to maintain really. And why be a guild officer if you just want to play the game uninhibited? Until AQ and Naxx (of which I have no experience) that doesn't even include every drop per tier really (only those that are highly sought after by multiple roles (DFT and Accuria come to mind) so being behind 5 other players in priority isn't a common occurence. Anyone freshly arriving in a guild and feeling they have some kind of priority over longer standing members who still want that item are going to come up a cropper under any of the other loot systems bar a free-roll one (eg. DKP, EP/GP etc.), so we didn't experience any "That doesn't seem fair" sentiment from newer members and as you pointed out, there was so much time during the week for people to (and they were encouraged to) settle any unfairness they felt was present.

That said the guild I was in had an officer for each class (2 for warriors, prot + dps) so keeping track of stuff was delegated, and priority disputes were easier to settle (is that SP OH better for the warlocks or mages etc.), and you didn't have a moderately 'clueless' player deciding that eg. Perditions Blade was a hunter priority.

It may have helped that as the most progressed guild on that faction side (not really a brag we still wiped a lot in BWL ) we weren't suffering a great deal of guild churn from poaching etc.

As an addendum: Compared to the time sink that 40 man raiding is ( a 5 minute time waste is what, 3+ hours of peoples time wasted) having a player who is "in charge" at all not being prepared to spend a few hours at the start of the tier setting up this system, and another few hours discussing it, entering the info, checking there aren't any big complaints, and then spending the 5-10 minutes after each raiding updating it is a fucking lazy-ass officer/GM.

There may be less labour intensive ways to settle loot distribution but compared to how much time would get wasted by having to spend any time "mid raid" sorting loot they are pretty dumb systems.
    Last edited by AeneasBK; 2019-04-25 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    The only input I can offer here is that my guild used Suicide Kings for a while, and I never liked it. Too easy for people to abuse unless you enforce some rule. Mainly a "you must spend your spot within X amount of time or lose it" rule (which we didn't enforce). Our problem with SK was people sitting in the top few spots on the list for weeks/months and passing on legitimate upgrades because they wanted to hold out for a trinket/weapon or whatever.

In theory, I really like the idea of a loot council because people in charge can talk it out and decide where that piece of loot will most benefit the guild, but I could also see it causing a lot of drama when people feel like they got screwed. Potential for abuse here too though (especially when a GM or other officer has SO or other family in the raid group).
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-04-25 at 02:03 PM.