10+ Year Old Account

Classic RP/Story

This is a pretty simple question. Should roleplayers look toward WC3 as the guiding light for the story in classic?

The way I look at it, you can adapt the current lore and focus on that one point applying any retcons.

Or you can be a story purist, taking Wc3 and the ingame book lore as the story that should be followed.

I personally am leaning towards an unchanged story, however orc RP has way more potential with flushed out Draenor from the chronicles.

Almost posted this in the Lore subforum but I felt since the topic is about classic in specific this was the better place for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

7+ Year Old Account
    Blizz said that the WC3-reforged campaigns will be brought up to the date to the story with details brought in/changed.

So, i guess just pick it up from there.

Formerly known as Arafal

Quote Originally Posted by Ralqadar View Post
    This is a pretty simple question. Should roleplayers look toward WC3 as the guiding light for the story in classic?

The way I look at it, you can adapt the current lore and focus on that one point applying any retcons.

Or you can be a story purist, taking Wc3 and the ingame book lore as the story that should be followed.

I personally am leaning towards an unchanged story, however orc RP has way more potential with flushed out Draenor from the chronicles.

Almost posted this in the Lore subforum but I felt since the topic is about classic in specific this was the better place for it.
    Doesn't really matter since realistically 99% of the information involved in current lore isn't stuff you'd know anyway.

Like it doesn't matter that Eredar aren't evil demons but a corrupted people and there are good eredar, or that Sargeras is trying to destroy the universe to stop the threat of the void taking over, or that Azeroth is a titan, or that humans are descended from vrykul born of stormforged corrupted by the Old God curse of flesh, because how would your character possibly know any of that information without access to those areas and storylines where that information was revealed?

It isn't suddenly going to become a valid choice for people to RP demon hunter night elves "because Illidan is actually building up a force of good guys to fight the Legion!" when he hasn't started that yet and the Illidari forces will be at odds with the rest of the world for another decade.

The only thing it really effects are
    1) People trying to play prophetic characters, which is already a thing that would be a mess.
    or
    2) Very minor filling ins of background detail. For instance in Vanilla you might have RPd as a Kul Tiran marine stationed in Theramore, or a Willdhammer Dwarf from Hillsbrad. Now you could potentially know a lot more about what Kul Tiras is like and the problems it faces, or be a Wildhammer Dwarf originally from the (Twilight) Highlands. Or be a special snowflake pirate who somehow made it through the mist to pandaria and was stranded there for a time or a troll who was a slave on Zandalar for a while.

But that's all stuff you could have done anyway, it's just now stuff that will be future-canon.

I would assume that anything that happened after Classic has never happened and Blizz hasn't butchered the lore of this universe yet.