Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Nah that's still good picks. Purgatory is 10-15.
    They used the 6th pick to take Daniel Jones like an entire round before anybody else was going to consider him and reasoned that he would be gone before pick 17. They then proceeded to take the 3rd best defensive lineman from Clemson (who Clemson didn't even have available when they beat Alabama...) when they could have had Ed Oliver AND Daniel Jones if they loved him so much.

5th-10th picks for the Giants are like 20th-40th for any other team.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Patriots draft N'Keal Harry, WR. First 1st round WR the Belichick Patriots have ever drafted.
    Was Harry the best available at 32 or was it a belichick choice? I thought Metcalf was supposed to be a beast?

Metcalf has kinda fallen off people's lists recently. Harry and Hollywood Brown were picked last night, those are both fine picks ahead of Metcalf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Agrossive View Post
    Was Harry the best available at 32 or was it a belichick choice? I thought Metcalf was supposed to be a beast?
    I think more Belichick choice then best available on most team's boards. He was definitely in that late first, early second conversation for a long time though.

There's a lot to like about Harry, but I have seen some of his tape where he struggles, and he needs to learn how to deal with press man, cause if you are aggressive enough with him at the line and stick on him and prevent him from getting up to speed, he doesn't have any burst to make sudden moves to get open and you can easily jump the ball that's coming to him.

That said Patriots will teach him how to deal with press man, and he will have some of the best press man corners and scheme to deal with in practice to learn. Patriots will also likely make it easy for him to get free releases and probably motion him at times, like they do with Edelman to get him a running start. He'll likely turn out fine, even with lack of burst.

For the Patriots he will likely be a less explosive Josh Gordon with a steep learning curve ahead of him, but I trust the Patriots to have done their homework on him.

Being able to run fast in a straight line, while not really producing much in college (where you can rely more on athleticism) doesn't make you a good receiver. All of Metcalf's hype is from the combine, there is a reason he wasn't mentioned at all before the combine and that hype fell off quickly after.

10+ Year Old Account
    Metcalf certainly has upside, and is a good prospect, but there isn't a lot of production with which to project his success. He could be great or he could be nothing, he'll get drafted today, but there are legitimate reservations about someone who had so few catches in college, declared for the draft with two years of eligibility left, and missed time to injury.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Day 2 of the Draft about to start!

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Metcalf certainly has upside, and is a good prospect, but there isn't a lot of production with which to project his success. He could be great or he could be nothing, he'll get drafted today, but there are legitimate reservations about someone who had so few catches in college, declared for the draft with two years of eligibility left, and missed time to injury.
    He's a boom or bust guy, and the Pats are very much in "win now" mode. Plus a big receiver should help to offset any accuracy loss on Tommy Boy's part.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Rock Ya-sin goes to the Colts and the Raiders immediately trade out to the Jaguars...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just sitting here watching the only other major TE need team pass on the Alabama guy...

10+ Year Old Account
    Charles Woodson taking over the Mother's Day reminder, classy.

Elway sucks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grube View Post
    Elway sucks
    Hey, at least it wasn't in the 1st round and not even with his first pick in the 2nd round. Could have been worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Joe Flacco the new Josh McCown.

Also I dunno who just got picked, but the ESPN radio coverage is saying that was a 96 pick reach.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oooo Pat's going TE here? Irv Smith jr.?!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Man, the Packers must really think Jimmy Graham is going to break back out with LaFleur to pass on Irv.

10+ Year Old Account
    i would have liked to see irv as well even dk metcaff

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JoNxJoN View Post
    i would have liked to see irv as well even dk metcaff
    I think they're okay at receiver. This time next year we may say otherwise if none of the 3 guys they drafted last year pan out.

This is the final year on Graham's deal, and he was pretty average last year. I'd figure a hotshot young coach would be interested in running 2TE misdirection sets, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oooo Pat's going TE here? Irv Smith jr.?!!
    My heart said Irv Smith, my brain said "Bill is going to take a db no one even had in their top 250". Thankfully it was a DB that most people had in their late first, early second round range (he was AT the draft even), Joejuan Williams.

We'll see what Patriots do with him. We've had great success making sure we have corners for every situation, so I hope this continues with this young man. 6'4" monster of a dude, who's going to be an ideal match up weapon against bigger receivers and corners.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pick 48 traded to the Saints.

That alone is important because that was supposedly going to Arizona or Rosen.