Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by coprax View Post
    People overestimate the availability of PvP gear strongly.^^
    This.

Grinding to rank 10 takes a fuckin' long time. You pretty much have to be a no-life NEET in order to get above rank 7/8, and getting to rank14 is like a second job in itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it takes a long time. However getting all your loot from MC in a 40man raid will also take a while. And once you have rank10 you have everything, no bad rng like with raid drops ...

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    This.

Grinding to rank 10 takes a fuckin' long time. You pretty much have to be a no-life NEET in order to get above rank 7/8, and getting to rank14 is like a second job in itself.
    There's going to be a lot of no-lifers in WoW Classic my man. WoW Classic isn't going to be played by middle school kids like vanilla was. It's going to be played by hardcore nerds going big dick.

So much this.

The honor system was a ladder/curve system. To increase rank you not only had to grind hard, you had to grind more than everyone else around you. For the most part the pvp communities on servers arranged who was getting what ranks each week (meaning people adjusted their schedules and shared accounts accordingly) because a lot of the time you could only have one person at rank 14, 1 maybe 2 people on rank 13, by the time you got down to rank 10, you started to get having more than 4 people per rank.

Let's say someone was being fast tracked to be the first rank 14 on a server. It would take at least 2 months of being the character with the highest honor count each week. That means being constantly queue'ed for BGs to max out honor each day against the regular pvp crowd for the other faction. Then to also have a warlock with a gank squad set-up somewhere else in the world to summon you to a spot (normally Blackrock Mountain) where you can pick-up kills from members of the other faction that don't normally get involved in pvp, because they are fresh honor. The honor system in Vanilla was brutal, there was a reason why it got changed in the BC pre-patch, and why arenas were introduced.

Also, as others have said. PvP gear was full of stamina, some pieces of it were useful and could be used as substitutes for BiS lists while you waited for real pieces, but if you had a raid full of players going into MC with just pvp gear, they were going to wipe a lot and hard. Resistances were important, mana regen is super important, defense is important, stamina was kinda 'eh'. There was a reason why mages had at most 2k health even in t2. Stamina was a buffer for incoming damage for healers, raid damage in Vanilla was more little chunks constantly, unless you were a tank or off tank you didn't need a lot of health.
    What are you willing to sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Piesor View Post
    Yes it takes a long time. However getting all your loot from MC in a 40man raid will also take a while. And once you have rank10 you have everything, no bad rng like with raid drops ...
    No you won't, you'll still need rings, trinkets, and other off slot pieces.

This actually mimics what I found when I hit level 60 in Vanilla, and while the PvP gear gives you a good headstart, you will still be raiding because many raid drops are better than the PvP gear ( especially the blue set).

As a Holy Paladin I think I negated more gear with ZG drops than I ever did with PvP gear ( I had that freaking healing mace forever).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    There's going to be a lot of no-lifers in WoW Classic my man. WoW Classic isn't going to be played by middle school kids like vanilla was. It's going to be played by hardcore nerds going big dick.
    And it matters why? After 15 years people are still to damn worried about what everyone else is getting rather than just playing the game.

They may have a slight advantage early, but just like everyone else it won't last long because it will be outstripped by AQ40 pretty quickly.

People are spending way too much energy worrying about what will be a brief period of time.

Quote Originally Posted by JustRob View Post
    Average age of WoW players in 2005 were 28.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-04-27 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dergiab View Post
    Average age of WoW players in 2005 were 28.
    Got a source on that? Oh, right. Of course you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisnumbers View Post
    I understood the post to mean that CHANGED items would be in their 1.12 state, but NEW items that were released throughout Vanilla would be released accordingly per phase of Classic.
    Yes exactly which makes it even worse. Gear that can compete with blue pvp gear won't even be released for a few months. Most of the gear in MC will be worse than blue pvp gear.

There are some exceptions such as a few weapons like BRE which will drop from day 1 and will be gear that will last you until naxx

Some people here don't seem to understand that getting r10 isn't really that hard. You can do it casually.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    I think it's better that the PvP gear is actually really strong for a while rather than being weaker than a lot of raid gear until it's updated to be on par with AQ when that raid is out. If there isn't an incentive to get to higher ranks early, PvP might just be a dead prospect, especially early on when BG's aren't out.
    The issue here is that non-upgraded pvp gear would be on par with raiding gear. A good example would be during TBC, imagine a player in full t5 gear with only t4 available. That's the power-gap you can expect.

Quote Originally Posted by otaXephon View Post
    Got a source on that? Oh, right. Of course you don't.
    https://electronics.howstuffworks.co...-warcraft1.htm

"According to one of Yee's 2005 studies, 84 percent of "World of Warcraft" players are male, and 16 percent are female. The average player's age is 28, and female players tend to be a few years older than male players. Regardless of their gender, players spend an average of 21 to 22 hours a week playing the game [source: Yee, WoW Demographics]. Of course, these statistics may have shifted since Yee collected his data. You can learn more about Yee's research at The Daedalus Project."

https://electronics.howstuffworks.co...-warcraft1.htm

"According to one of Yee's 2005 studies, 84 percent of "World of Warcraft" players are male, and 16 percent are female. The average player's age is 28, and female players tend to be a few years older than male players. Regardless of their gender, players spend an average of 21 to 22 hours a week playing the game [source: Yee, WoW Demographics]. Of course, these statistics may have shifted since Yee collected his data. You can learn more about Yee's research at The Daedalus Project."
    lmfao, one single self-selected survey on a random fucking website that nobody has ever heard about. Good work, dude.

lmfao, one single self-selected survey on a random fucking website that nobody has ever heard about. Good work, dude.
    Would love to see your counter evidence.

Would love to see your counter evidence.
    That IS my counter evidence. If you can't understand how entirely unreliable the data you quoted is based off the sample size of players it polled then there isn't any point in continuing this discussion.

That IS my counter evidence. If you can't understand how entirely unreliable the data you quoted is based off the sample size of players it polled then there isn't any point in continuing this discussion.
    You present yourself as a very reliable source.

I present simple logic as a reliable source. If you polled a bunch of people over at /r/The_Donald whether or not they thought Obama was a good president you'd probably get a much different response then if you asked the same question to people who frequent CNN's website. I mean, that's just one very broad example but polling data is only as relevant as the people whom you're polling. And one single off-beat self-selected poll on a random fucking website in 2005 isn't exactly a very accurate representation of the ~7-9 million people who were subscribed to WoW at the time.

I present simple logic as a reliable source. If you polled a bunch of people over at /r/The_Donald whether or not they thought Obama was a good president you'd probably get a much different response then if you asked the same question to people who frequent CNN's website. I mean, that's just one very broad example but polling data is only as relevant as the people whom you're polling. And one single off-beat self-selected poll on a random fucking website in 2005 isn't exactly a very accurate representation of the ~7-9 million people who were subscribed to WoW at the time.
    And one single off-beat self-elected internet rando sure is a good source.
    Last edited by Dergiab; 2019-04-27 at 06:25 PM.

...are you literally incapable of reading? I... I don't even know how to respond.

Later dude.

...are you literally incapable of reading? I... I don't even know how to respond.

Later dude.
    If we are going by anecdotal shit, I present my own: me and almost everyone I knew that played WoW were 20+. So the poll correlates with my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Some people here don't seem to understand that getting r10 isn't really that hard. You can do it casually.
    If you think the average vanilla player will be 8 hours a day nolifer than yeah. But in reality R10 is nowhere near casual territory.

You can get up to rank, what, 8, before you even hit 60. Getting to 10 isn't going to be too difficult considering. If you have time to raid 6 hours a week on a set schedule; unless you've got crazy time management efficiency, you could probably find the extra hours at other times to get into the top 4 contribution brackets.

I guess it depends if you're on a PvE server where the only people getting 10HKs a week or w/e the minimum bar is are going to be people actively queuing for BGs or a PvP server where most of the players (I won't hazard how much "most") will be getting the minimum and expanding the pool simply by not being AFK in a city, including a lot of the lowbies questing. On a PvP server, rank 10 shouldn't require a crazy time commitment for helm and shoulders, the other 4 (rank 7+8) should be pretty casually attained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Twdft View Post
    If you think the average vanilla player will be 8 hours a day nolifer than yeah. But in reality R10 is nowhere near casual territory.
    That's just not true. Your average casual player can reach r10 by playing a few hours everyday after work. By playing 2 hours everyday you can reach r10 in under 2 months. Nowhere near those 8 hours you're talking about

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    You can get up to rank, what, 8, before you even hit 60. Getting to 10 isn't going to be too difficult considering. If you have time to raid 6 hours a week on a set schedule; unless you've got crazy time management efficiency, you could probably find the extra hours at other times to get into the top 4 contribution brackets.

I guess it depends if you're on a PvE server where the only people getting 10HKs a week or w/e the minimum bar is are going to be people actively queuing for BGs or a PvP server where most of the players (I won't hazard how much "most") will be getting the minimum and expanding the pool simply by not being AFK in a city, including a lot of the lowbies questing. On a PvP server, rank 10 shouldn't require a crazy time commitment for helm and shoulders, the other 4 (rank 7+8) should be pretty casually attained.
    People think r10 is an hardcore grind. The real grind only happens after r11.. You can reach r10 at an healthy rate by being in bracket 5-4, bracket 5 being casual territory.

You can even push r10 from r9 in 2 weeks with bracket 3 which isn't hard