Thread: First PC build

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

First PC build

Hi, I bought my very first PC from Overclockers UK back in 2012 (gtx680 and i7 3660k I think it is) and it has served me very well up until now. Over the years I have gained a lot of technical knowledge of fixing my pc with loads of random issues it has had and given me confidence to build my own PC. However when I am looking at pc part picker UK, it often says some of my parts aren't compatible which i obviously want to avoid.

Would anyone be kind enough to post a pc build that takes into account everything I need to begin my first build? I would like to spend £1k and future proof it as much as possible. If that means spending a little over my budget I don't mind.

Budget - £1k up to 1.2k if required
    Resolution - 1080p
    Games / Settings Desired - would like to try Destiny / Division 2
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) - just gaming and web browsing
    Country - UK
    Parts that can be reused - I will use my current 500gb ssd as a secondary one, so just need 1 ssd in the suggested build
    Do you need an OS? - Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No

10+ Year Old Account
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£137.98 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.97 @ Laptops Direct)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£88.71 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£125.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce RTX 2060 6 GB VENTUS OC Video Card (£316.98 @ Aria PC)
    Case: NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£72.77 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £891.39
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-04-25 16:03 BST+0100

You won't really gain anything significant upgrading this anymore, unless you want to play at significantly more than 60fps
    It doesn't have an OS, but you should be able to reuse your current install. If you can't, you still have plenty left in the 1k budget to buy another key

This is great, thank you. I would actually need to buy an OS as mine is still Windows 7 and i never bothered to upgrade for free lol.

I have only ever known Intel Processors, but i know the Ryzen ones have become incredibly popular over the years. To which Intel processor is the Ryzen 5 equivilant to?

Also, would i need a CPU cooler and additional fans etc, or is this not required as i am not overclocking and the case fans are enough?

Honestly it's hard to find the equivalent price wise since ryzen 2600 can be overclocked and equivalent intels can't. Feature wise i5-9600k (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/28q...bx80684i59600k) but it's way more expensive and has 6 cores and 6 threads instead of 6 cores and 12 threads but it's performance per thread is way more if you overclock to 5ghz (which is really easy unless your cooler is horrible). So better for WoW but more expensive and less future proof.

Honk honk.
    Last edited by stevan021; 2019-04-26 at 12:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevan021 View Post
    Honestly it's hard to find the equivalent price wise since ryzen 2600 can be overclocked and equivalent intels can't. Feature wise i5-9600k (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/28q...bx80684i59600k) but it's way more expensive and has 6 cores instead of 6 cores 6 threads but it's performance per thread is way more if you overclock to 5ghz (which is really easy unless your cooler is horrible). So better for WoW but more expensive and less future proof.

Honk honk.
    The 9600k has 6 cores and 6 threads, the 2600 has 6 cores and 12 threads.

And would i need a cpu cooler for this and anymore fans or is this not required?

Sorry, and also any extra cabling etc or something i am not aware of (dont forget this would be my first build ever).
    Last edited by Phinxx; 2019-04-25 at 08:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phinxx View Post
    And would i need a cpu cooler for this and anymore fans or is this not required?

Sorry, and also any extra cabling etc or something i am not aware of (dont forget this would be my first build ever).
    The 2600 comes with a cooler that's just fine for running it at stock and with a mild overclock. If you plan on going above 3.5-3.6 you should buy a better cooler, but if it's your first pc, you probably won't OC it.

Extra fans: Not really necessary. It comes with 2 pre installed (I'd recommend moving 1 to the front as intake), but you can always buy some decent fans like Noctua's NF-F12/14, or Corsair's ML series if you feel like it. It won't give you much if any performance bump, but depending on how loud the included fans are, it might make it more quiet

Honestly I'd get at least the 212 evo cpu cooler. It's really cheap (around 30 bucks) and can last you over 10 years easily. It also supports so many sockets it's insane. The only downside is that it's really big but if you have a full sized case it won't matter.

p.s. If you get it make sure to put it on the mobo BEFORE you screw the mobo into the case otherwise you're fucked

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevan021 View Post
    Honestly I'd get at least the 212 evo cpu cooler. It's really cheap (around 30 bucks) and can last you over 10 years easily. It also supports so many sockets it's insane. The only downside is that it's really big but if you have a full sized case it won't matter.

p.s. If you get it make sure to put it on the mobo BEFORE you screw the mobo into the case otherwise you're fucked
    It's 30 bucks you don't need to spend on a 2600. Unless you push it to 4GHz it doesn't really get very hot, so you can just stick with the stock cooler

Yeah 2600 is definitely the value king atm. Also OP can wait 2 months to see how the 3000 Ryzen series is if they don't need a PC right now. The per-core performance of their current rig might be even higher than Ryzen 2600 depending on the overclocks.

Honestly you could probably just upgrade your GPU and get a better cooler for your 3770k and overclock it (assuming you have a Z Series motherboard anyway), Save yourself a bunch of money from having to buy pretty much a whole new system for what isn't that big of a performance increase in gaming.

From what i'm seeing online its between a 1-5% increase for gaming at stock clocks, depending on the title. Doesn't sound particularly worthy of spending almost $400 (motherboard/cpu/ram prices combined) on.

Now if you plan on doing any video editing or anything work related then the 2600 will easily beat it at that point, But for just gaming you're still fine with a 3770k for quite a bit longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rygorr View Post
    Honestly you could probably just upgrade your GPU and get a better cooler for your 3770k and overclock it (assuming you have a Z Series motherboard anyway), Save yourself a bunch of money from having to buy pretty much a whole new system for what isn't that big of a performance increase in gaming.

From what i'm seeing online its between a 1-5% increase for gaming at stock clocks, depending on the title. Doesn't sound particularly worthy of spending almost $400 (motherboard/cpu/ram prices combined) on.

Now if you plan on doing any video editing or anything work related then the 2600 will easily beat it at that point, But for just gaming you're still fine with a 3770k for quite a bit longer.
    Where are you reading 1-5%? For stock clocks it's more like 10%. If you got a good board you can even them out in single core performance. That said, in more and more modern games, cores are starting to matter. Far Cry 5 runs terribly at <6 cores, as does most other Ubisoft titles (Like The Division). Getting twice the cores and thread count would be nice for those situations.

Several videos (the only ones i could find with stock clocks) showed a 1-5% difference, one or two titles showed slightly more. A well overclocked 3770k can get some pretty damn good performance too, Seen them get pretty close to an I5 8400 (within like 5%), which for that large of a generation gap is pretty good.

It'd also depend on what he wants to play, Destiny 2 can be played on nearly any mid range cpu from the last 10 years and be fine. No idea on the division 2 though. If WoW is on that list for him the 3770k is still perfectly fine.

Point is it isn't large enough of a gap to justify spending that much money on unless you just want the experience of building it yourself, which is a load of fun mind you so if that's the case then fair enough =)
    Last edited by Rygorr; 2019-04-27 at 03:59 PM.

I know my PC is fine for Overwatch and WoW, but I when I bought Destiny 2 when it first came out the game repeatedly crashed so I didn't even bother trying to buy the division 2 lol. Fortunately blizz have me a refund on it and then we all got it for free a year later!

I don't plan on doing any video editing, just want to enjoy the latest games on as high settings as possible for my budget.

That'd most likely be due to either a driver issue or more likely random issues at launch.

Some pretty reliable leaks hit today (im out of town and posting from mobile, so its hard to link things) from MoBo vendors shwoing Zen 2 (Ryzen 3xxx) as having a 10-15% increase in IPC over Zen+ (Ryzen 2xxx), which puts them at dead-even parity with Intel for IPC. Same leaksmshow clocks topping out at around 4.5ghz.

If these leaks are true (and theyre fairly reliable, being from testing runs logged into databases from sources inside MoBo vendors), Ryzen 3xxx has Intel beat solidly across the board, except for the 9600K, 9700K, and 9900K. And those only stay relevant because they can clock higher... but a 500mhz gap is a LOT lower than the previous 1000-1200mhz gap, and with absolute IPC parity...

He rest of Intel’s lineup is tanked overnight. No reason to buy a locked six-core chip when for the same price you can pick up a theoretical Ryzen 3060 6/12 thatll clock tp 4.5ghz and is dead-even in IPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Phinxx View Post
    I know my PC is fine for Overwatch and WoW, but I when I bought Destiny 2 when it first came out the game repeatedly crashed so I didn't even bother trying to buy the division 2 lol. Fortunately blizz have me a refund on it and then we all got it for free a year later!

I don't plan on doing any video editing, just want to enjoy the latest games on as high settings as possible for my budget.
    You could totally way for Zen 2, the crashing was not because your processor sucked, just pick up like a 570 or 2060 if you want to spend more for now, you can play Div 2, Destiny 2, all that on a 2500k which is well worse then your CPU.

15+ Year Old Account
    Except that Ryzen 2000 are about 4% - 5% behind Intel's IPC and not 10% - 15%, meaning IPC was AMD has Intel beaten period.
    AMD's 1st gen Ryzen was exactly 7% behind Intel's Lake CPUs, they improved upon latency between CCX in the 2nd gen Ryzen increasing IPC by about 2% - 3%.
    It's above parity.

What lower speeds translate into however is a parity of performance in general not counting the potential higher latency between CPU chiplet and IO die.

It means that say it's 10% IPC above Intel's line-up and if the clocks are locked to 4500MHz then the equivalent is indeed a 5,0GHz Intel Lake series chip.
    It'd be parity in the performance sector for equal core amounts and completely outclassing Intel on the core count front.

We'll see what it amounts to.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Except that Ryzen 2000 are about 4% - 5% behind Intel's IPC and not 10% - 15%, meaning IPC was AMD has Intel beaten period.
    AMD's 1st gen Ryzen was exactly 7% behind Intel's Lake CPUs, they improved upon latency between CCX in the 2nd gen Ryzen increasing IPC by about 2% - 3%.
    It's above parity.

What lower speeds translate into however is a parity of performance in general not counting the potential higher latency between CPU chiplet and IO die.

It means that say it's 10% IPC above Intel's line-up and if the clocks are locked to 4500MHz then the equivalent is indeed a 5,0GHz Intel Lake series chip.
    It'd be parity in the performance sector for equal core amounts and completely outclassing Intel on the core count front.

We'll see what it amounts to.
    If they're currently 4-5% behind intels IPC, then changing that to 5% above IPC wouldn't give them enough of a bump to make up for a 10% bump in clock speeds.

Also Intel has just revealed they finally got 10nm working and are expecting a launch in Q4 2019.. That'll be fun to watch

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Some pretty reliable leaks hit today (im out of town and posting from mobile, so its hard to link things) from MoBo vendors shwoing Zen 2 (Ryzen 3xxx) as having a 10-15% increase in IPC over Zen+ (Ryzen 2xxx), which puts them at dead-even parity with Intel for IPC. Same leaksmshow clocks topping out at around 4.5ghz.

If these leaks are true (and theyre fairly reliable, being from testing runs logged into databases from sources inside MoBo vendors), Ryzen 3xxx has Intel beat solidly across the board, except for the 9600K, 9700K, and 9900K. And those only stay relevant because they can clock higher... but a 500mhz gap is a LOT lower than the previous 1000-1200mhz gap, and with absolute IPC parity...

He rest of Intel’s lineup is tanked overnight. No reason to buy a locked six-core chip when for the same price you can pick up a theoretical Ryzen 3060 6/12 thatll clock tp 4.5ghz and is dead-even in IPC.
    I've also heard that they use ~30% less power too since switching to 7nm. Computex is going to be really interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Also Intel has just revealed they finally got 10nm working and are expecting a launch in Q4 2019.. That'll be fun to watch
    Comet Lake is due out Q4 2019/Q1 2021 for the Xeon but we won't actually see 10nm Tiger Lake until 2021 according to the road map leaked two days go.

* Providing the leak is legit and there isn't newer info since it was leaked.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-04-28 at 08:35 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.