Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Says it's up, and I do log in, but the game freezes when I try to enter the only server in the list...
    Either keep trying or wait until it's more stable. Probably just overloaded right now, had the same issues at times on the previous server.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldryth View Post
    And now there's another party (Titan Network) negotiating with NCSoft to open legal community-run server, and they say things are looking optimistic. Which they've said before a few times years ago, but the private server group is still working in case it doesn't work out. This would be a crazy story to follow over the past week even for someone who's not at all interested in City of Heroes.
    They've been in negotiations since CoH was originally shut down. Maybe they're going at it again in hopes that NCSoft will budge, now that the code has been released to the masses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    They've been in negotiations since CoH was originally shut down. Maybe they're going at it again in hopes that NCSoft will budge, now that the code has been released to the masses.
    It sounds good, but I doubt we will ever hear anything else about it. This is like the 3rd time hes been "in talks with NCSoft" to get CoX running again. If anything, NCSoft is now tipped off that a private server is up and its only a matter of time before the server is shut down via legitimate legal threats.

Don't get too attached.

Just a heads up: I literally had to leave the downloader running overnight, and restart it several times before it finally finished.

I gather this means either thwir d/l server is overloaded or not up all the time.

But have patience! When it finishes it DOES work.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    It sounds good, but I doubt we will ever hear anything else about it. This is like the 3rd time hes been "in talks with NCSoft" to get CoX running again. If anything, NCSoft is now tipped off that a private server is up and its only a matter of time before the server is shut down via legitimate legal threats.

Don't get too attached.
    The fact that they are directly communicating with NCSoft AND HAVE NOT BEEN SHUT DOWN YET is actually a good sign.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    The fact that they are directly communicating with NCSoft AND HAVE NOT BEEN SHUT DOWN YET is actually a good sign.
    I really hope you are right.

They just brought up 2 more servers. The demand to play CoH is there. NCSoft should remaster and re-release it.

Quote Originally Posted by Keile View Post
    Well the MCU alone has made Superheros a much more mainstream and profitable sub genre than it was in the games original release period.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Well the MCU alone has made Superheros a much more mainstream and profitable sub genre than it was in the games original release period.
    Heh, didn't CoH have an issue with Marvel back in the day where people were making Marvel inspired characters and Marvel didn't like it? Or was that Champions Online?

And that was BEFORE they were under the Mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Heh, didn't CoH have an issue with Marvel back in the day where people were making Marvel inspired characters and Marvel didn't like it? Or was that Champions Online?

Marvel tried to sue because of the character creator letting you make heroes similar to Marvel Characters. A lot of Marvel's complaints got dismissed and then they settled out of court without any changes made to the character creator.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember reading a week or two ago about the dude that "Exposed" the super secret CoH server, complete with the "ERMYGERD UR PERSONAL INFORMATION!!11" spin.

I'm glad to see that CoH is actually up and running though.

Also, Happy Birthday yesterday to CoH
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Man, really having problems staying connected. And getting booted back to the end of the queue, despite the patch to get you back in...oof.

But really enjoying the character creator. It's nice that literally every costume option is unlocked up front. I stopped playing before the game went free, so I'm also pleasantly surprised that they took the popular suggestions and implemented them: Like customizing the colors of your powers and weapons.

I hope this all works out and the game stays up. I think NCsoft would be stupid to not take advantage of the obvious interest from so many people.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much if it is like the interest in Classic though?

Will Homecoming still be able to maintain the population? 30 days from now? 60? 90??

I'm not trying to undermine the CoH: Resurgence Project, but... I worry about sustainability. Same with Classic.
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

I love how the City of Heroes community already crumbled in on itself. Now you basically have two communities posting the exact same information because people can't get along.

It's been enjoyable to follow.

10+ Year Old Account

Yup, I had a claw scrapper in a tank top named Logan and they deleted it.

Quote Originally Posted by SinR View Post
    How much if it is like the interest in Classic though?

Will Homecoming still be able to maintain the population? 30 days from now? 60? 90??

I'm not trying to undermine the CoH: Resurgence Project, but... I worry about sustainability. Same with Classic.
    This will be difficult to judge, as I know a bunch of people who are setting up their own private "friends & family" server, but I know a lot of people just want to play and not have to worry about that, or be responsible if NCSoft decides to get involved. Only time will tell how well it does. I still think NCSoft shut it down at the wrong time, as the MCU was just getting off the ground, so who knows how the game would have grown due to that.

This will be difficult to judge, as I know a bunch of people who are setting up their own private "friends & family" server, but I know a lot of people just want to play and not have to worry about that, or be responsible if NCSoft decides to get involved. Only time will tell how well it does. I still think NCSoft shut it down at the wrong time, as the MCU was just getting off the ground, so who knows how the game would have grown due to that.
    I actually know someone who was interested in setting up just such a server. I'll have to dig for the info and send it to them.

Is it possible going forward that the folks working on this can release updates that people can apply to their own privately running servers? Updates in the form of bug fixes and the like, not actual content, obviously.

I actually know someone who was interested in setting up just such a server. I'll have to dig for the info and send it to them.

Is it possible going forward that the folks working on this can release updates that people can apply to their own privately running servers? Updates in the form of bug fixes and the like, not actual content, obviously.
    With the current "I25" (with the SCORE updates), I don't think so, since all of the binaries are compiled by the SCORE team. Once we get an I24 release, then people should be able to make their own modifications. As for how easy it will be for people to make changes, bug fixes, etc, and then distribute them, I couldn't tell you.

Ah yeah, feels nice to be back. Don't know whether I want to play my hero or my villain more. Real nice that there's a save to file option for costumes if/when the servers get wiped.

What's a good travel power for a martial arts hero? Super jumping feels... Off.

I always go Fly. It may not be the fastest, but its just so damn fun.

With the current "I25" (with the SCORE updates), I don't think so, since all of the binaries are compiled by the SCORE team. Once we get an I24 release, then people should be able to make their own modifications. As for how easy it will be for people to make changes, bug fixes, etc, and then distribute them, I couldn't tell you.
    Wait, is SCORE planning on releasing the server software (source, headers, libraries, assests, etc)? I knew they had their own servers running, but I haven't heard anything about the possibility of people hosting their own private servers. Where was this announced?

What's a good travel power for a martial arts hero? Super jumping feels... Off.
    I always considered Super Jump on of the best, all around, travel powers. It's easy to use, fast, has a vertical component, and doesn't need a lot of slots (range, speed, endurance usage), and it has an excellent prereq in Combat Jumping (esp for defense oriented builds). The only slight annoyance is in tunnels, but bunny hopping is just as fast as jumping at max height. All the others have some sort of caveat.

Fly - easy to use, but slow and endurance heavy, requiring slots for full use. Air Superiority can have its uses (guaranteed knockup), and Hover is okay (extra defense), but requires slots to actually practical in combat (super slow).

Super Speed - Fast, no slots, has a stealth component, and an excellent prereq (Hasten), but the lack of vertical is really annoying. It can be somewhat mitigated by temp powers. (One in particular is very useful, it's a jump backpack that you could hold jump to keep gaining altitude. I forgot where it came from, though.)

Teleport - Fastest travel power, but it's clunky to use, requires slots to be useful, and has generally crumby prereqs (teleport ally/foe).

Having said that, I made characters with all of them, sometimes for being in character, sometimes for the challenge, sometimes for other synergistic reasons (SS + Dark Miasma's stealth power, forgot its name), so you can make all of them work.