Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Shadow 'til I die

But just not sure about rolling Shadow in Classic.

Sure, if I had a lot of 'lock friends in my guild who bribed me with free consumables.

Anyone want to convince me (casual pve, casual pvp) to roll Shadow? Any die hard face-melters going to do it for the lore rather than the dps?

/wand

No . . . no you should not go full shadow. An argument can be made for a disc/shadow hybrid build though, if your raid leader is bright enough to know what to do with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

There's only room for 1 Shadow priest in each raid, and you're only there to buff the warlocks and dispel. Your actual DPS is pretty mediocre unless you go full tryhard and farm 30+ demonic runes for every raid + lots of spell damage consumes, and even then you're lucky to do half the DPS of a mage/warlock.

For casual stuff shadow should be fine, but be prepared to heal a lot of smaller dungeons if you want to participate and gear up quickly.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    No . . . no you should not go full shadow. An argument can be made for a disc/shadow hybrid build though, if your raid leader is bright enough to know what to do with it.
    What build would that be?

Something like:

31/20

You pop into shadow form to put up shadow weaving? Then off-heal?

Or do you forget Power Infusion and go into Holy?

---

But didn't swapping in and out of shadowform reduce mana to 0? Can't remember now.

---

Sorry, I'm talking bollocks, aren't I.... you don't swap out of shadowform?

---

I'm really talking bollocks.... you're not even in shadowform in the first place. Sorry.
    Last edited by LeGin Tufnel; 2019-04-28 at 09:19 PM.

That's actually TBC not Vanilla. In Vanilla SP's went oom.

Quote Originally Posted by Howlrunner View Post
    I always think of this when people had Shadow in Classic ;D
    Aye.

Not being inspired so far.

May have to holy... which is not good news for anyone in my guild.

Well if you want to be a god in pvp and be a lock buff in raids, shadow is for you. Most guilds bring 1 shadow priest so if you have a guild you can join at least you'll have a spot. And you'll be one of the strongest 1v1 specs.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    But just not sure about rolling Shadow in Classic.

Anyone want to convince me (pvp) to roll Shadow?

/wand
    If you're Alliance, don't do this to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogbunabali View Post
    Well if you want to be a god in pvp and be a lock buff in raids, shadow is for you. Most guilds bring 1 shadow priest so if you have a guild you can join at least you'll have a spot. And you'll be one of the strongest 1v1 specs.
    What was a pure pvp build? something like:

20/31?

What was a pure pvp build? something like:

20/31?
    Well you actually had some freedom with how you spend the points. Like I would take off some of the points from Mind Blast and put them in Darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ogbunabali View Post
    Well you actually had some freedom with how you spend the points. Like I would take off some of the points from Mind Blast and put them in Darkness.
    Ahh, ok. yep. So you'd end up with 2 pts in MB and 5 in Darkness. Or get rid of Improved Inner Fire.

This is what I loved about talent trees! Choices, choices.

I'm still not sure about pve, though. TBC shadowpriest utility was unique & much wanted by all mana users. Not sure I want to be a 'lock buffbot

Maybe I should go for holy pve, shadow pvp.

Ahh, ok. yep. So you'd end up with 2 pts in MB and 5 in Darkness. Or get rid of Improved Inner Fire.

I'm still not sure about pve, though. TBC shadowpriest utility was unique & much wanted by all mana users. Not sure I want to be a 'lock buffbot

I personally would do it with 2 points in Mind Blast because I like Improved Inner Fire (survival is important for SP, since 0 mobility). And also you won't get the chance to cast Mind Blast too much unless you want to spend quite some time drinking, it costs a lot of mana.

Well it's personal taste I guess. I don't heal so I won't go healer in PvE. But in Vanilla not a lot of playstyles are very engaging, let's be real. Most of the time you'll spam one spell or Wand because you're oom. And as a healer you'll press a low cost heal every now and then, maybe buff and if someone is in trouble you'll cast a high cost heal.

Vanilla had pretty simplistic gameplay, but it was one of it's charms.

10+ Year Old Account

If you can stomach the respeccing fee, or if you are able to set some schedules where you'll PvP for two weeks and then PvE for two weeks to let the respec fee go down a bit, that is a good idea.

Shadow in PvP is a fucking MONSTER once you get decent gear and is a LOT of fun to play.
    I used to play a shaman as an alt, and while it's not a priest I basically took the direction you were thinking of doing. I played resto for raids and whatnot as it was quite enjoyable either way, leeched a trinket or two after the clothies had gotten it and went Ele for PvP.
    You basically get the best of both worlds, priest being the best PvE healer and spriest being essentially god itself until you run out of mana in PvP.

Also, cool factor of shadowform in Vanilla.
    It's by far the coolest spell from back then and you knew when running around and seeing a shadowpriest, that shit was about to go down.
    Follow your dreams my dude.

7+ Year Old Account
    Shadow is doable. But best utility is power infusion/shadow weaving. Use up a global every few seconds to reapply shadow weaving. Heal ultraconservative to retain mana. Power Infusion when called for. Most of your damage will just be wanding.

It is really strong in pvp... it just doesn't have the sustain for raiding. That said you do buff warlock dmg so there is that.

Was thinking about going Undead Spriest in classic (I started as a shaman in TBC)... I will do PvP almost exclusively.

HOWEVER, I think I have seen a few threads saying that undead are overrated and trolls are underrated. What are the thoughts here? The idea was basically that Devouring Plague is too much mana and too easily dispelled with addons (especially in BGs); and shadowguard is great for extra blackout procs and hex of weakness is harder to dispell and mana-efficiently spamable with a lower rank verison...

Then of course there is WotF versus berzerking as well...

What ya think??

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjub View Post
    Was thinking about going Undead Spriest in classic (I started as a shaman in TBC)... I will do PvP almost exclusively.

HOWEVER, I think I have seen a few threads saying that undead are overrated and trolls are underrated. What are the thoughts here? The idea was basically that Devouring Plague is too much mana and too easily dispelled with addons (especially in BGs); and shadowguard is great for extra blackout procs and hex of weakness is harder to dispell and mana-efficiently spamable with a lower rank verison...

Then of course there is WotF versus berzerking as well...

What ya think??
    alliance have paladins who're pigeonholed into healing endgame, yeah for PVP devouring plague is gonna have a 1-2sec duration in reality.
    but trolls get shadowward, which hurts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    It is really strong in pvp... it just doesn't have the sustain for raiding. That said you do buff warlock dmg so there is that.
    yes, but with the gear skip over BWL and MC we're going up against naxx which we'll want fire damage builds due to the undead's higher shadow resistance.

till you die.. in 5-10 seconds... ok then

Shadow is much more of a pvp and leveling spec in vanilla.