Page 1 of 3
LastLast

She is the enemy of all life!

And She is Kerrigan. Wait... I know a queen called like this.

5+ Year Old Account
    You are not the only person to think blizzard slapped the Kerrigan like theme onto Sylvanas.

Instead of just letting her become a character that shows the negative sides of undeath can be suppressed. But nooooo blizz needs horde characters to be evvvvvvillllllll.

It was much easier to write a redemption arc for Kerrigan because she was mind-controlled by Amon when she was Queen of Blades. She had no control over herself when she committed those atrocities. But Sylvanas? When she ordered the Wrathgate, nuked Gilneas, and burned Teldrassil, she had no excuse. And so I can assure you that her redemption arc will feel much more forced. Let alone the fact that at least Kerrigan's redemption was estabilished in the first chapter of the trilogy, so Sylvanas' redemption arc, if regrettably it happened, would also have much less build-up.

Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    It was much easier to write a redemption arc for Kerrigan because she was mind-controlled by Amon when she was Queen of Blades. She had no control over herself when she committed those atrocities. But Sylvanas? When she ordered the Wrathgate, nuked Gilneas, and burned Teldrassil, she had no excuse. And so I can assure you that her redemption arc will feel much more forced. Let alone the fact that at least Kerrigan's redemption was estabilished in the first chapter of the trilogy, so Sylvanas' redemption arc, if regrettably it happened, would also have much less build-up.
    The mind control of Kerrigan was a retcon. In BW she was the "Queen Bitch" by her own doing.
    So: Sylvanas was mind controlled since classic. Wow, I just fixed the story!

Oh and btw, Kerrigan killed plenty of people, even as her "redeemed" self. Including sending a Queen to infest a Protoss ship and so on. I don't get why people think that Kerrrigan's redemption arc is any more justified than Sylvanas'.
    Last edited by Hubbl3; 2019-04-29 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    The mind control of Kerrigan was a retcon. In BW she was the "Queen Bitch" by her own doing.
    In fact, it was in Brood War when she was acting of her own free will for the first time in her life.

But of course, Metzen retcons everything good and makes it stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    In fact, it was in Brood War when she was acting of her own free will for the first time in her life.

But of course, Metzen retcons everything good and makes it stupid.
    Yes, that change was one of the biggest letdowns in SC2. Just let her be evil because she wants to, not because there is a mind control - again - and she is part of a prophecy to save everyone.

7+ Year Old Account
    ordered the Wrathgate
    What?

Putress and Varimathras be damned, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    So: Sylvanas was mind controlled since classic. Wow, I just fixed the story!

Oh and btw, Kerrigan killed plenty of people, even as her "redeemed" self. Including sending a Queen to infest a Protoss ship and so on. I don't get why people think that Kerrrigan's redemption arc is any more justified than Sylvanas'.
    Nobody thinks Kerrigans "redemption" was justified in any way, nobody. Except the usual "Shes hot" fanboys, the same kind Sylvanas has. The two characters are actually pretty similar in these regards lulz

Kerrigan's boyfriend was Raynor.....one of the most chill buddies out there.
    Sylvanas's boyfriend is Nathanos...one of the most annoying, jealous, grief-ridden assholes of video-game-history.

Sometimes things are just not the same.

Also, compare:
    https://youtu.be/QaQ7jaBDQVc

vs.

https://youtu.be/TVp7yLfnmrE

Again:
    Sometimes things are just not the same.
    Last edited by Nathasil; 2019-04-29 at 09:24 PM.

I do think that some similarities are done on purpose, especially between Starcraft and Warcraft, but the other games do have similarities too. It's not for nothing that the battle between light and void is called the eternal battle and that we on Azeroth have heard that our universe isn't the first where this war takes place. Also, there is always some force that tries to end the battle by wiping out both sides, trying to stop the cycle from continuing, while others seed worlds with life and experiment on how to best enable said life to fight against their enemies... and usually this very life rebelling and fighting for itself and not for the void or the light anymore.

This doesn't really mean that all the entities that fill the same roles actually act the very same way in the end. Sylvanas has very strong similarities with Kerrigan and the Scourge has some similarities with the Zerg, but they are not the same. Kerrigan became Zerg because she was lead into a trap and left to 'die'. Sylvanas became Scourge because she chose to fight to her last breath. Both stories are tragic and both women became what they had fought against in a similar way, but it wasn't the same.

How are Blizzard supposed to emphazise to us that we a re all pawns in a bigger game and that the battle is always the same and repeats itself (other than always repeating the thing about circles and cycles) over and over again without presenting at least somewhat similar stories? That doesn't mean Sylvanas and Kerrigan have to come to the same end. Maybe Sylvanas instead chooses the very opposite of what Kerrigan chose. We won't know until it happens.

Where was that retcon made? So far the story I think goes as follows: Kerrigan becomes Queen of Blades, fucks both Terran and Protoss, then disappears apparently to take control of Zerg beyond Koprulu, then returned mind controlled. Unless some book states something else, Kerrigan was free during all the Brood War, only lost the free will after that.
    And well, in Heart of the Swarm denies being mind controlled, just influenced.
    Last edited by MatthiasVonTzeskagrad; 2019-04-29 at 11:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas has always been a cheap Kerrigan knockoff anyway, I was making this statement back in Wc3 and I stand by it now...

God help us when Sylvanas becomes a space god and gets a redemption by the end of BfA lol.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

People aren't going be satisfied, no matter what Blizzard does. There's just so many options, none of which will have majority support.

Not her death.
    Not her victory.
    Not her reaching a stalemate.
    Not her being captured and trialed.
    Not her being redeemed/purified.
    Not her having been under someone else's control.
    Not her turning out to have been acting in our benefit.
    Not her becoming a raid boss, and definitely not another Siege of Orgrimmar.
    Not even her stepping down willingly will cut it at this point.

That doesn't leave a lot of options that won't bring forth terrible rage. The most likely path for Blizzard to take as a result is probably for her to vanish/escape and disappear for a few years. Only for her to return much later in a different role. She's not going to be Warchief in 9.0 I'm sure. Nor is she going to die. While I wouldn't mind to see her Lightforged to settle this, it would be a different approach than I am used to for Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    What?

It's mostly just one quote from Afrasiabi with no other lore actually backing up that claim. So people now say Sylvanas ordered the event to happen even though there isn't really anything saying such in any of the canon material.

Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    What?

Yes, but people take a line in chronicles 3 stating she wasn't 100% honest as being "She ordered it." instead of "she was for making the plague." which she basically blamed on Varimathras and Putress.

Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    Sylvanas has always been a cheap Kerrigan knockoff anyway, I was making this statement back in Wc3 and I stand by it now...

God help us when Sylvanas becomes a space god and gets a redemption by the end of BfA lol.
    Why do people think Kerrigan invented being an evil force for good?

Quote Originally Posted by Kallisto View Post
    Yes, but people take a line in chronicles 3 stating she wasn't 100% honest as being "She ordered it." instead of "she was for making the plague." which she basically blamed on Varimathras and Putress.
    Well I mean that alongside the small fact that Afrasiabi bluntly stated that she ordered it when contextually speaking about her burning Teldrassil wasn't new to her.

Quote Originally Posted by MatthiasVonTzeskagrad View Post
    Where was that retcon made? So far the story I think goes as follows: Kerrigan becomes Queen of Blades, fucks both Terran and Protoss, then disappears apparently to take control of Zerg beyond Koprulu, then returned mind controlled. Unless some book states something else, Kerrigan was free during all the Brood War, only lost the free will after that.
    And well, in Heart of the Swarm denies being mind controlled, just influenced.
    The "retcon" was that Kerrigan was never fully in control of herself as Queen of Blades. Not because of direct mind control (which she was under when the Overmind was around) but simply genetic command that Amon imprinted on the Zerg. So while she was technically free during BW, she was still under Amon's directive to the Zerg, and so was far more evil than she ever was as a human. Also, during the Wings of Liberty she wasn't mind controlled, she just read the Prophecy of Zel'naga and was depressed and fatalistic..

The thing with Kerrigan is that once she was set on the path of redemption she was actually written with what redemption requires - regret over her past actions. Never once she tried to justify her Queen Bitch of the Universe persona as her being under the influence, she still felt remorse for her actions and worked to oppose the ones who made her that way - Mengsk and Amon. And she was a much better person doing it too, only killing Protoss colonists out of self-preservation (after telling them that she's no threat to them) and letting the citizens of Korhal evacuate. And destroying a few worlds in the process of gathering her queens, but most of those were uninhabited. But apparently her becoming a benevolent Zel'naga and going away to create new life to replace the one she destroyed was somehow out of character. Were those playing through HotS blind to think that?

Nothing like that exists for Sylvanas. She is not filled with regret, she shows no remorse, she is literally Arthas, her Mengsk, Overmind and Amon rolled into one. She can't possibly get redemption as she is now, unless Xe'ra suddenly comes from being in pieces and lightforges the Lothraxion out of her. And we don't even know if Lothraxion was lightforged willingly or not, so lightforging her might not even work to make her a better person anyway. And it would still be no redemption, just brainwashing for greater good.

we almost already had this idioicy with kerrigan arc in legion where illidan were going to become child of light and shadow and zera ~= last xelnaga and purity of form + purity of essence kerrigan transformation. dunno why they are trying to push this kind of story NOBODY actually liked back in sc2. they are probably blind or stupid
    Last edited by Trbn; 2019-04-30 at 09:16 AM.