Question CPU at 100% utilization with just Fortntie running. upgrade mobo or cpu?

Hello, big wow player but stopped playing for the last year and focusing on just Fortnite. I have a i5-4690K (3.5ghz base) processor and when I hit ctrl-alt-del and check my cpu utilization while I play Fortnite, it is always at 99-100%. I also need Discord open to speak with my friends and it still remains at 100% but my computer struggles hard when I alt-tab from Fortnite to Discord and desktop in general. If I yolo and open a chrome tab it will load slowly so I try to avoid it so fortnite runs as smooth as possible.
    I have a MSI gtx970 and it just runs at 40-60% of utilization while playing Fortnite. I have all settings on low but need 144fps for my monitor. I have ddr3 16gb (1600mhz) ram and it maxes at 9-10gb while fortnite.

I tried to OC my chip but I flaked and bought a new mobo that won't let me OC. The Asus H81m-p (my asus z87 broke so I saw this cheap h81m-p on amazon and bought it, now I know why it was cheap lol)

With my current finances, I can't upgrade my cpu chip or mobo/ram/cpu combo.

*1. Would a viable option be to hold out on buying a new cpu and ram and just buying a used mobo on ebay ( I do need recommendations of which tho) that will let me OC my chip to maybe 4.6ghz? Maybe if I OC to 4.6 I won't max out at 100% utilization while playing Fortnie and Discord.??

*2. OR stick with my rig and wait until Intel gen9 chips are reasonably priced and buy the whole combo of mobo and new 16gb of ddr4 ram? My rig has 4 years so it is old. However, I don't mind playing games on low settings since I favor more fps over "looks" and will play a lot of classic wow on the summer which my current rig will run without problems (cuz wow runs on a toaster imma right?) .

Writing this post I am favoring buying a mobo that will let me OC and see if I can max out my cpu until it dies and then I full upgrade mobo cpu and ram to ddr4. If so I please need recommendations on mobos that will let me OC. (I have a evo 212 fan and even with 100% cpu utilization on Fortnite I max at 50-55 Celcius )

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by wachupita View Post
    I have a MSI gtx970 and it just runs at 40-60% of utilization while playing Fortnite. I have all settings on low but need 144fps for my monitor. I have ddr3 16gb (1600mhz) ram and it maxes at 9-10gb while fortnite.
    You have an issue somewhere else.

My wife has a 6600K @ 4.4ghz (which is not too much faster than your 4690K clock for clock) and never sees anywhere near 100% utilization with Fortnite, and nowhere near that RAM commitment.

Fortnite is simply NOT that taxing.

Also.. you dont "need" 144fps for your monitor. Its not going to break if you only get 100fps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    You have an issue somewhere else.

My wife has a 6600K @ 4.4ghz (which is not too much faster than your 4690K clock for clock) and never sees anywhere near 100% utilization with Fortnite, and nowhere near that RAM commitment.

Fortnite is simply NOT that taxing.

Also.. you dont "need" 144fps for your monitor. Its not going to break if you only get 100fps.
    hmmm any way to find the source of my problem? Also, I have a 144hz monitor so that's why I said that I need the 144fps. I know it's not going to break if I only get 100fps but why settle at 100fps when the optimal is 144fps?

hmmm any way to find the source of my problem? Also, I have a 144hz monitor so that's why I said that I need the 144fps. I know it's not going to break if I only get 100fps but why settle at 100fps when the optimal is 144fps?
    because anything above 60 is gravy, and your rig is in no way going to hit 144fps without a serious GPU upgrade, and probably wont ever hit that in Fortnite no matter what, given the draw-distances involved.

Your computer is probably full of gunk. I dont know what you have installed. I know that you should not be having issues hitting ~60fps in Fortnite with that rig and should not be anywhere near 100% CPU utilization.

Fortnite has memory leak issues, at least when I played it last it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    because anything above 60 is gravy, and your rig is in no way going to hit 144fps without a serious GPU upgrade, and probably wont ever hit that in Fortnite no matter what, given the draw-distances involved.

Your computer is probably full of gunk. I dont know what you have installed. I know that you should not be having issues hitting ~60fps in Fortnite with that rig and should not be anywhere near 100% CPU utilization.

I mean tbh I run Fortnite on 1920x1080 at 144fps with every setting in low and my gpu is still around 60% MAX. the cpu is the one at 100% utilization. It sure drops sometimes below 144 but manages to hover pretty well around 120+, my view distance is in near .

I have Fortnite on my ssd and even though my pc is 4 years old I was very picky and aware on what I installed on it.

I attached a screenshot to see if someone sees or picks out the problems.

https://ibb.co/xXWSkXh

thanks in advance!

10+ Year Old Account
    I attached a screenshot to see if someone sees or picks out the problems.

https://ibb.co/xXWSkXh

thanks in advance!
    Kill Cortana and restart WMI Provider host

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Kill Cortana and restart WMI Provider host
    Thanks. I did this and even took it a step forward to uninstall Avast, using windows defender as I heard it is good now lol. But still my CPU utilization is capping at 100% with minimal stuff running. I even took a break from Fortnite because my game now barely runs at 60fps vs the 144fps on stretched (lower) resolution it was running before. I don't know if my CPU is dying or something's wrong with it but I can't even run 60fps on native 1920x1080 now. Could it be it is time to upgrade my mobo/cpu and ram once and for all?
    thanks in advance!

PS: I've never been this frustrated honestly in all my gaming years with my PC. This just did not happen. I tried Overwatch and still, my computer was strugguling to mantain 60fps even on low settings. I have gtx970 so my theory is that the CPU is the problem, not my GPU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. I did this and even took it a step forward to uninstall Avast, using windows defender as I heard it is good now lol. But still my CPU utilization is capping at 100% with minimal stuff running. I even took a break from Fortnite because my game now barely runs at 60fps vs the 144fps on stretched (lower) resolution it was running before. I don't know if my CPU is dying or something's wrong with it but I can't even run 60fps on native 1920x1080 now. Could it be it is time to upgrade my mobo/cpu and ram once and for all?
    thanks in advance!

PS: I've never been this frustrated honestly in all my gaming years with my PC. This just did not happen. I tried Overwatch and still, my computer was strugguling to mantain 60fps even on low settings. I have gtx970 so my theory is that the CPU is the problem, not my GPU.
    Yeah, GPU is fine, especially since it's the CPU capping out. I really have no idea what's causing it. If you're up for it, try reinstalling windows, that might help.

If it doesn't, your CPU is probably dying, but I have no idea

Yeah, GPU is fine, especially since it's the CPU capping out. I really have no idea what's causing it. If you're up for it, try reinstalling windows, that might help.

If it doesn't, your CPU is probably dying, but I have no idea
    Is the "windows fresh start" a viable option to "reinstall windows" as you put it? Might take the leap and try it out, if not, just upgrade mobo/cpu and ram. Now that I have your attention (and thank you) which mobo/cpu/ram do you recommend? I was checking the build of the month but it hasn't been updated since October 2018, 6 months ago. So don't want to base it of that just in case it's outdated. Thanks bro!

10+ Year Old Account
    Is the "windows fresh start" a viable option to "reinstall windows" as you put it? Might take the leap and try it out, if not, just upgrade mobo/cpu and ram. Now that I have your attention (and thank you) which mobo/cpu/ram do you recommend? I was checking the build of the month but it hasn't been updated since October 2018, 6 months ago. So don't want to base it of that just in case it's outdated. Thanks bro!
    Fresh start wouldn't be the same as reinstalling.

Also, what CPU/MOBO I recommend depends on what your budget is. If you have a $2k budget, I'd recommend a 9900k, if you have a $200 budget I'd recommend saving/waiting

Fresh start wouldn't be the same as reinstalling.

Also, what CPU/MOBO I recommend depends on what your budget is. If you have a $2k budget, I'd recommend a 9900k, if you have a $200 budget I'd recommend saving/waiting
    OK would a budget of $600 work? Is the 9900k i9? what would be the main difference between i5/i7/i9? I thought an i5 would be "ok" but thinking about it might go for an i7 and a good mobo plus 16gb of ddr4 ram

Hello, big wow player but stopped playing for the last year and focusing on just Fortnite. I have a i5-4690K (3.5ghz base) processor and when I hit ctrl-alt-del and check my cpu utilization while I play Fortnite, it is always at 99-100%. I also need Discord open to speak with my friends and it still remains at 100% but my computer struggles hard when I alt-tab from Fortnite to Discord and desktop in general. If I yolo and open a chrome tab it will load slowly so I try to avoid it so fortnite runs as smooth as possible.

I tried to OC my chip but I flaked and bought a new mobo that won't let me OC. The Asus H81m-p (my asus z87 broke so I saw this cheap h81m-p on amazon and bought it, now I know why it was cheap lol)

With my current finances, I can't upgrade my cpu chip or mobo/ram/cpu combo.

*1. Would a viable option be to hold out on buying a new cpu and ram and just buying a used mobo on ebay ( I do need recommendations of which tho) that will let me OC my chip to maybe 4.6ghz? Maybe if I OC to 4.6 I won't max out at 100% utilization while playing Fortnie and Discord.??

*2. OR stick with my rig and wait until Intel gen9 chips are reasonably priced and buy the whole combo of mobo and new 16gb of ddr4 ram? My rig has 4 years so it is old. However, I don't mind playing games on low settings since I favor more fps over "looks" and will play a lot of classic wow on the summer which my current rig will run without problems (cuz wow runs on a toaster imma right?) .

Writing this post I am favoring buying a mobo that will let me OC and see if I can max out my cpu until it dies and then I full upgrade mobo cpu and ram to ddr4. If so I please need recommendations on mobos that will let me OC. (I have a evo 212 fan and even with 100% cpu utilization on Fortnite I max at 50-55 Celcius )

Thanks in advance
    Try running Fornite without Discord or browsers open and look at the cpu usage. RAM usage is fine but cpu is too high.

Try these things:

1) Update your motherboard's bios to latest version (I'm seeing a 2018 firmware update on their site).

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/H8...Desk_Download/

2) I'm looking at your motherboard's manual and you should be able to overclock your system.

Go into Advanced Mode and then you have to nagivate to the cpu section and maybe do a google search on how to overclock the i5-4690K to 3.8 or possibly 4.0 without changing voltage.

The BIOS setup program can be used under two modes: EZ Mode and Advanced Mode. You can change modes from the Exit menu or from the Exit/Advanced Mode button in the EZ Mode/Advanced Mode screen

Your motherboard's manual can be found here:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...l_web_only.pdf

Other things to experiment with:

1) Turn off dual displays if you're using multiple monitors.
    2) Lower refresh to 120hz or lower resolution a bit.
    3) Update chipset drivers from the same download link above.

Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK would a budget of $600 work? Is the 9900k i9? what would be the main difference between i5/i7/i9? I thought an i5 would be "ok" but thinking about it might go for an i7 and a good mobo plus 16gb of ddr4 ram
    600 is a somewhat high budget. The difference between i5 and i7 used to be that i7's got hyperthreading (2 threads per physical core), but with the last gen Intel decided against that. In the 9000 series, the only difference is that i5's have 6 cores, and the i7 has 8. The difference between i7 and i9 is that i9 gets hyperthreading.

As for what to upgrade to:
    https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XLtWP3
    I didn't include a cooler since I don't know which one you have right now, or what your case is. If you're using the stock Intel cooler, I'd recommend checking if you can fit something like this https://pcpartpicker.com/product/F3g...u-cooler-bk022 in your case

Your CPU should be more than fine for Fortnite (I have the i5-4670k, and it runs fine), I'd try and figure out what's causing it rather than looking to upgrade unless it really is dying somehow.

I've seen this issue before, and I feel like the other people are taking this all the wrong way. They are assuming there is a hardware fault or some bad driver or whatever.

There are a LOT of processes there all using a LOT of CPU cycles, even some that shouldn't be using a lot of CPU cycles. I'm more leaning to think your CPU is running in a reduced performance mode (PROCHOT signal set high, thermal throttling, CPU cores have been disabled through msconfig, etc). Don't just force close apps all willy nilly. You are treating the symptoms, not the cause.

It's hard to diagnose without more information. I'd be willing to look at it remotely with teamviewer. PM me or send me your discord and we can go from there.

For what it's worth, I had another guy complain they were getting extremely bad performance in WoW (low FPS, long load times, very stuttery often) even though he had relatively good specs. It turned out that something had disabled all but 1 of his CPU cores. I fixed the issue, he now had 4 cores 8 threads to work on and his gameplay and everything else was silky smooth.

Another situation was an extremely sluggish laptop. Very good specs, but couldn't explain why basic usage was so slow. He also complained that he couldn't charge his battery anymore and could only use it while it was on AC adapter power. Turns out his laptop had the PROCHOT signal set high. This is a signal that forcibly runs the CPU at its lowest power state. I could disable the signal with ThrottleStop application, but it wasn't a longterm solution, and it did fix performance instantly. PROCHOT means Processor Hot. But it can be set high for other reasons, such as "not enough power", which was because of the unchargeable battery (For what it's worth, it ran 30-40C during the diagnosis, so it was not running hot). Replacing the battery with a new one caused the PROCHOT signal to be set low, and performance was restored, even when just on battery.
    Last edited by Ssateneth; 2019-05-02 at 12:30 PM.

please help me man i have the i5 9400f cpu and rtx 2060 6 gb with 8 gb ram 2666 mhz and a b360 motherboard and i have 100% cpu usage when playing fortnite i tried many solutions and i have nothing opened in the background except for discord and i tried to limit the fps but in vain can you help me please? sorry i know that's related to wow but i really need help but no one helped in many platforms

Quote Originally Posted by ibrahimomran99 View Post
    please help me man i have the i5 9400f cpu and rtx 2060 6 gb with 8 gb ram 2666 mhz and a b360 motherboard and i have 100% cpu usage when playing fortnite i tried many solutions and i have nothing opened in the background except for discord and i tried to limit the fps but in vain can you help me please? sorry i know that's related to wow but i really need help but no one helped in many platforms
    Create a new thread and we will try to help you. Also before you do that, be sure to have latest nvidia driver for your gpu, check for a bios update for your motherboard, and run a malware/antivirus scan if you can.