Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Likely a spellblade class will be introduced when we have some arcane god/cosmic power as some sort of antagonist or the expansion has a heavy focus on that cosmic force
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

Was leveling up yesterday and doing the Legion Mage Campaign. Teamed up with the best Spellblade prototype I've seen in this game:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Esara_Verrinde

"I'd be happy to lend you my swords and spells against the Burning Legion anytime"

"Keep it up, and I'll show you my sword skills!"
    <does arcane version of Whirlwind>

Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Was leveling up yesterday and doing the Legion Mage Campaign. Teamed up with the best Spellblade prototype I've seen in this game:

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Esara_Verrinde

"I'd be happy to lend you my swords and spells against the Burning Legion anytime"

"Keep it up, and I'll show you my sword skills!"
    <does arcane version of Whirlwind>
    Yeah, it's obvious the concept exists within Warcraft. It would be great to make it playable.

3+ Year Old Account
    This game does NOT need even a single additional melee dps spec. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ealyssa View Post
    Current progress race composition :

You made a comment that melee as a whole is disadvantaged to ranged as a whole, which is just stupid. Do you even play that game? Then your "evidence" is that in one specific fight there is one specific spec that is stacked. So should I give you screenshots of rogues stacked on other fights or the dominance of melee classes in the top MDI teams, etc, etc?

#youfailedbadly

Quote Originally Posted by Traycor View Post
    Spellblade, Swordmage, Hexblade, Warwizard, Eldrichknight, Battlemage... a wizard that is both melee and ranged.

One of the most popular classes in RPG's is the mage/fighter gish archtype. Surprisingly, it's still not to be found in WoW. The closest thing we have is the Deathknight, but they are really runemancer/necromancer/antipaladins, so it just doesn't fit with the mage/fighter.

The next closest thing is maybe the demon hunter, but they are still very different from a mage/fighter with their own unique demon feel.

I love Tinkers (and I'd play one) but we already have this with Engineering. Necromancers are largely covered by Deathknights. Bards would be unique and are not covered by anything else (and some might argue would be the fighter/mage archtype). Personally I'd prefer a more pure fighter/mage than a bard.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Perhaps it could have a mechanic that requires the character to alternate between melee and ranged to be effective. The Spellblade would move in for a rotation or 3 as its wards power up, then fall back for a rotation or 3 as the wards expire. Something that requires a little more player agency, but not enough to make the game too complicated.
    Quite simply unless the spec is a tank, there should never again be a melee spec in wow. There are simply far too many.

I would play it. I really like arcane magic, but arcane mages are not fun to play. And uh, there's no other spec that uses arcane magic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I would play it. I really like arcane magic, but arcane mages are not fun to play. And uh, there's no other spec that uses arcane magic.
    I had never thought of it that way. I guess even Warlocks use fel. Very interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Balance Druid.

I'd play the shit out of a class like that.

Red Mage is my main in FFXIV, and is the closest thing to one in a modern successful MMO, IMO. Though Blue Mage in FFXI comes pretty close too, as far as game play is concerned.

Sadly, one of the better examples of this type of class in an MMO is in a derelict game: Age of Conan. There was a class in that game called the Herald of Xotli, that was a cloth wearing, two handed sword wielding badass melee class that embodied the fiery wrath of their deity, Xotli, even able to take on his form for short periods of time to dole out beautiful, sweeping, fiery death....while getting destroyed by a relatively stiff breeze....being a cloth wearer and all. It was glorious.

As far as specs go, for it to be a spellblade type class, for me it would simply have to heavily use magic alongside some form of physical damage. Whether that's melee weapons or ranged weapons doesn't really matter, it's the intertwining of magic+weapon that makes the class for me. They seem to be building up Dark Rangers, which could fit this style pretty easily combining dark magic with bows for one or two specs (shifting balance between the weapon in one spec, or the magic for another) and combining it with swords for another spec. That said, I'd much rather have an actual mage than some dark/death infused caster for aesthetic purposes, was just pondering how easily they could mold the Dark Ranger (if they plan on making it a class, which could go either way I guess) to fill a Spellblade style of game play.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    As far as specs go, for it to be a spellblade type class, for me it would simply have to heavily use magic alongside some form of physical damage. Whether that's melee weapons or ranged weapons doesn't really matter, it's the intertwining of magic+weapon that makes the class for me.
    The whole point of a spellblade class would be the ability to play a "mage" type character in melee. If it's ranged, then it's more of a dark ranger/arcane archer type character. Mages are already ranged, so a dark ranger would necessarily have a far different feel than a mage.

The whole point of a spellblade class would be the ability to play a "mage" type character in melee. If it's ranged, then it's more of a dark ranger/arcane archer type character. Mages are already ranged, so a dark ranger would necessarily have a far different feel than a mage.
    Hence the rest of my post. I'm aware that spellblade purpose is to be a mage in melee range, that doesn't mean every spec for a class HAS to be melee, one of the specs could be specifically meant to be a spell blade, while the others could be some other game play style.

WoW already has a ton of melee DPS, having a whole new class devoted to nothing but melee DPS would be kind of silly.

Spellblade, Swordmage, Hexblade, Warwizard, Eldrichknight, Battlemage... a wizard that is both melee and ranged.

One of the most popular classes in RPG's is the mage/fighter gish archtype. Surprisingly, it's still not to be found in WoW. The closest thing we have is the Deathknight, but they are really runemancer/necromancer/antipaladins, so it just doesn't fit with the mage/fighter.

The next closest thing is maybe the demon hunter, but they are still very different from a mage/fighter with their own unique demon feel.

I love Tinkers (and I'd play one) but we already have this with Engineering. Necromancers are largely covered by Deathknights. Bards would be unique and are not covered by anything else (and some might argue would be the fighter/mage archtype). Personally I'd prefer a more pure fighter/mage than a bard.

What are your thoughts?

EDIT: Perhaps it could have a mechanic that requires the character to alternate between melee and ranged to be effective. The Spellblade would move in for a rotation or 3 as its wards power up, then fall back for a rotation or 3 as the wards expire. Something that requires a little more player agency, but not enough to make the game too complicated.
    Battlemage, they've been NPCs since, as far as I know, TBC. They need to be made a mage spec, or their own class.

It's a bit ironic that you say we already have Tinkers because of the Engineering profession but at the same time you want another mage with some melee abilities...

I seriously doubt we will ever see this. 99% sure next class will be Tinker and Im looking forward to that!

10+ Year Old Account
    D3 Necromancer could be fun in WOW, having both melee and ranged builds, and its not same as DK.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    It's a bit ironic that you say we already have Tinkers because of the Engineering profession but at the same time you want another mage with some melee abilities...
    A fair point. I like tinkers, but I can sort of play that now by loading up with engineering items, which I've done on my gnome since beta. I've played him like a tinker the whole time.

As a mage, you can equip a sword, but you can't really do anything with it. There's no way to actually play a Spellblade. You just have a mage holding a sword who doesn't use it or play any differently. Personally I'd love to see a Spellblade class. It could even have a melee DPS spec, a melee tank spec, and a support (party shielding) spec. Or it could be a combination of ranged/melee. Any of those options offer something you can't simulate by playing a mage.

A fair point. I like tinkers, but I can sort of play that now by loading up with engineering items, which I've done on my gnome since beta. I've played him like a tinker the whole time.

As a mage, you can equip a sword, but you can't really do anything with it. There's no way to actually play a Spellblade. You just have a mage holding a sword who doesn't use it or play any differently. Personally I'd love to see a Spellblade class. It could even have a melee DPS spec, a melee tank spec, and a support (party shielding) spec. Or it could be a combination of ranged/melee. Any of those options offer something you can't simulate by playing a mage.
    So you don’t think a tinker would play any differently from a player using engineering currently? Can you tank with engineering? Can you put on a mechanical suit with engineering?

Maybe you can “roleplay” a tinker with engineering but that is definitely not the same thing for many players. It’s not only about the RP aspect, it is also about the gameplay. I would use the same arguement as you:

“You can equip engineering items, but you cant really do anything with them.”
    Last edited by Kaver; 2019-05-06 at 05:46 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Sadly, one of the better examples of this type of class in an MMO is in a derelict game: Age of Conan. There was a class in that game called the Herald of Xotli, that was a cloth wearing, two handed sword wielding badass melee class that embodied the fiery wrath of their deity, Xotli, even able to take on his form for short periods of time to dole out beautiful, sweeping, fiery death....while getting destroyed by a relatively stiff breeze....being a cloth wearer and all. It was glorious.
    The best class in all of AOC!

WoW has more than enough specs already, the constant appeals to add more only add to balance problems and the risk of specs being neglected for entire expansions. I don't know why some players can't see that. If anything there are too many classes already. Instead of adding meme classes like monk and DH they should have added depth and complexity to existing specs. New classes are short-termist nonsense from devs who don't have a plan.