Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    This sucks for Linux gamers as Rocket League is on Linux through Steam but Epic doesn't support Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    Tim Sweeney is obsessed with putting Epic store on top. How am I a dolt?
    That's.. That's how business works. What, do you expect people to go into business to be mediocre?

You go into business to maxmize profits. I hate the Epic Store, but if you want to compete with steam, you need to take the appropriate steps.

Am I sure this is the best step? No of course not. We've seen many a company get bought by a bigger company and become useless. But there are several success stories otherwise.

The world isn't sunshines and daisies. Businesses are there to make money. If this makes them more money, then they're doing what they are formed to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they think making games exclusive to their shit store, is how you compete with steam, they are in for the saddest wake up call in the video game industry since the 80s VG crash.

They might be around 5 or 6 more years tops.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    It literally has main page, game download and friend list, nothing else. Maybe you'll point out some differences?
    And? You can clearly tell the difference between a 2004 product and a 2019 product. EGS looks nothing like the screenshot of steam you found. At no point did I say it has the exact same features as steam currently has. But you are delusional if you think it doesn't look like all the other digital modern store fronts. Everything starts somewhere. Will they get to the level of steam with a bunch of features and bloat to keep people on their store? Likely. Or maybe it will just be the store with out the bloat.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    And? You can clearly tell the difference between a 2004 product and a 2019 product. EGS looks nothing like the screenshot of steam you found. At no point did I say it has the exact same features as steam currently has. But you are delusional if you think it doesn't look like all the other digital modern store fronts. Everything starts somewhere. Will they get to the level of steam with a bunch of features and bloat to keep people on their store? Likely. Or maybe it will just be the store with out the bloat.
    It's 2019 and Epic is trying to force it's way in as a competitor of steam with none of the basic features that steam has. Reviews. Forums. A fucking shopping cart. Do you really not understand why people are upset?

15+ Year Old Account
    It's 2019 and Epic is trying to force it's way in as a competitor of steam with none of the basic features that steam has. Reviews. Forums. A fucking shopping cart. Do you really not understand why people are upset?
    Do I get that people want it to have the same features of steam? Certainly. That is a far cry from saying it is 2004 level. They have a long way to go. But everything starts some where. And plenty of modern day game launchers/stores don't have reviews and boast exclusives (like origin and their forums are certainly lacking). The most important step is not the first one but the next one. They are certainly not deserving of the weird hate that you and others portray.

It isn't perfect. But it isn't this evil thing that you and others try to make it out to be.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    all with their own exclusive games as well, go figure!
    Yeah, except I'm not sure if any of those other launchers you list have exclusives that weren't developed specifically by them.

And most of the "exclusives" are just 20 year old legacy titles that aren't a big enough draw to even bother placing on other markets, but for the hardcore fans of certain developers, it squeezes a little more value out of some games for their IP owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Most weren’t develop by them, in many of the cases they are just published by the owners of the platform… thus why I ask, why is it okay for developers to limit their games to the publisher platform, yet if a developer makes a much better deal with one of those platforms people go crazy about it?

And… no… “most” of those “exclusives” ain’t “20 year old titles”.
    It'd be helpful if you could think of some and name them, because I can't. Unless you're counting subsidiary studios as not being developed by the publisher.

Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    Epic Games Store isn't thaaaaaat bad.
    It's too easy for people to get pulled into hate-bandwagons nowadays.
    Except for the slipshod rushed release with no concern for data security or consumer privacy, the anti-consumer business practices, the total lack of any features consumers expect out of a modern games launcher/market, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I just think this whole situation we are heading towards is untenable. Crap like this is going to bring and end to an "age" of pc gaming freedom.
    What freedom was that? Valve had a Monopoly on the PC gaming market and you gave up the right to own anything you bought.

Such freedom that was.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Not having a shopping cart is about the only one you mentioned where there's any legitimate reason to be upset over it.

You don't need a client specific forum or a review system in the store to be able to find others to talk about games with, especially not when people have proven themselves unable to handle such a thing, and frequently review bombs games for reasons not related to the quality of that actual game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    What freedom was that? Valve had a Monopoly on the PC gaming market and you gave up the right to own anything you bought.

Such freedom that was.
    You mean like the windows store, battlenet, arc, GoG, etc....?

And lets not forget that GoG had to lay off people because of epic.

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty123456 View Post
    You mean like the windows store, battlenet, arc, GoG, etc....?

And lets not forget that GoG had to lay off people because of epic.
    Yes because all of those are really competition for Valve.......
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Do I get that people want it to have the same features of steam? Certainly. That is a far cry from saying it is 2004 level. They have a long way to go. But everything starts some where. And plenty of modern day game launchers/stores don't have reviews and boast exclusives (like origin and their forums are certainly lacking). The most important step is not the first one but the next one. They are certainly not deserving of the weird hate that you and others portray.

It isn't perfect. But it isn't this evil thing that you and others try to make it out to be.
    Listen theres a very important concept you are missing here.

When steam came out it WAS basic but thats because there was nothing else really like what it intended to be in the game industry. It pioneered changes from scratch and figured shit out over the years.

But the thing is when this happens, those ideas are no longer "fresh" or "new" they become the industry standard and other companies can just mimic them. There is no need of the immense difficulty involved in pioneering these concepts and then toiling to refine them like steam has. Steam already figured it out, so others can mimic it in their own style. This happens EVERYWHERE in business, across all industries.

What was once the benchmark has become the industry standard. The baseline infrastructure

Except EPIC didn't bother... They're making up for it by throwing huge amounts of money everywhere before they even have their base infrastructure built. This will make things very unstable. They might make it but goddamn if something goes wrong, it will topple them harder than it would have otherwise.

If these strategies establish them and then they settle into not being jerkoffs and provide a steam level service? Maybe it will worth it, but early behaviour sets the culture of a company in stone and molds how it will act in the future. Its very hard to change the mindset established early on, unless it fires its mid-heirarchy.
    Last edited by Tenjen; 2019-05-03 at 05:36 AM.

go epic, the real reason gamers hate epic is because epic censors their game content, they only alllow high quality titles, while steam allows any game on their pllatform. So games with white supramecist themes arent allowed on epic, to get an idea of steams base,http://fortune.com/2019/03/15/valve-...aland-shooter/ so they see this as another "LEFTIST sjw" takeover of games, and dont care about actual quality of games or good compensation for developers.

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    go epic, the real reason gamers hate epic is because epic censors their game content, they only alllow high quality titles, while steam allows any game on their pllatform. So games with white supramecist themes arent allowed on epic, to get an idea of steams base,http://fortune.com/2019/03/15/valve-...aland-shooter/ so they see this as another "LEFTIST sjw" takeover of games, and dont care about actual quality of games or good compensation for developers.
    Really hope you didn't hurt your back with all that reaching you just did.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post

Such freedom that was.
    This is blatantly wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is blatantly wrong.
    In legal terms, on steam, what you're buying isn't a licensed copy of a piece of software, so much as a subscription to use of it.
    This is all explained in the terms of use people doesn't tend to read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    That's just blatantly false. Most of the whining about the EGS comes from them buying exclusives and their lacking storefront

This is blatantly wrong.
    Hate to break it to you buddy but you don't own any digital content you buy. Even more so if you live in the US.

Steam and all other digital store fronts reserve the right to revoke your access to any license you buy at any time.

Read your TOS next time.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2019-05-03 at 08:43 AM.