Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jonatron View Post
    So since classic requires a bigger time investement than current wow (for casuals atleast) and since you can only play one game at a time.

I was wondering if once classic is released and everyone and their mothers will be playing it.. won't it have a negative effect on current wow playerbase and ingame activity ?

Classic still requires a sub to current wow to be played so the blizzard numbers won't realistically show who is playing what but i think Blizz might actually accidentally schoot current wow in the foot by dividing the playerbase.

I'm not waiting for wow to die in any form nor do i think it will truly die anytime soon, but with all mmo's released since launch i believe that Wow classic has the biggest chance to do what has been repeated on these forums each time a compareable mmo releases.

Will blizzard be able to convince us to play the xpac after bfa instead of classic ? for now i don't think so.

Update: Given the answers, classic wow might be the thing current retail needs to fill in the content gaps between patches and expansions.
    Both of them being on the same sub might even be a blessing instead of a curse.

Thanks for the answers and sorry if i triggered anyone with my now only 3 posts
    First of all, you can play more than one game. You're going to pay for two subscriptions after all.

And doubt classic is going to kill live. Blizzard wants to make a product, not resell used t-shirts.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    My point is that your claim that all who played during vanilla WoW are "potential customers" is false. One cannot be a "potential customer" if they have no interest in the product.

By your reasoning, the population of the entire world are "potential customers" for classic WoW... but so are they for modern WoW.
    I'm not sure that is completely true. People have cited how "back then" players didn't have families, jobs, etc... assuming all players were 14 year olds.

But what about all the adult players who found they loved the game but simply didn't have time to invest THEN? But now... their kids are grown, life on rails, and they have more time to play a game. I can see some of them seeing an ad for World of Warcraft Classic and them saying: "No way! I remember that game... sign me up!"

Hey man, I've really enjoyed our debate... you've given me food for thought and opened my eyes to an alternate point of view. Even though you have yet to correct your poinbt of view, I totally respect it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maudib View Post
    But what about all the adult players who found they loved the game but simply didn't have time to invest THEN?
    I found that the older they get, the less time they have for the game. So if they couldn't do it then, they most likely can't do it now either.

Classic wont kill retail , Classic is targeted in different audience.
    Its like saying that Tesla will kill all the Tractor industries they are completely two different game with the same name that play/act/target to different type of crowd.

Most of people that are happy with retail as it is will HATE massively hate how slow/grindy and "mmorpish" the game is, tell a hunter in the retail now to restock arrows .. pffft half of them will jump of the roofs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure that is completely true. People have cited how "back then" players didn't have families, jobs, etc... assuming all players were 14 year olds.
    To my knowledge, no one has ever said that applies to all the players who started during vanilla WoW, just to a portion of them. But even if they did, the statements themselves do not assume players were "14 years old" back then.

But what about all the adult players who found they loved the game but simply didn't have time to invest THEN? But now... their kids are grown, life on rails, and they have more time to play a game. I can see some of them seeing an ad for World of Warcraft Classic and them saying: "No way! I remember that game... sign me up!"
    You already asked that exact same question here and I've already answered it here.

And I mirror the @huth's sentiments: it is also my experience that the older a person is, the less time they tend to have and/or the less desire to spend their time on games they have. I'm not saying they don't exist, but the type of player you described above seems to be the rare kind.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by PavelGolub View Post
    Most of people that are happy with retail as it is will HATE massively hate how slow/grindy and "mmorpish" the game is, tell a hunter in the retail now to restock arrows .. pffft half of them will jump of the roofs.
    Yes there's nothing worse than when your MMORPG plays like a MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    I found that the older they get, the less time they have for the game. So if they couldn't do it then, they most likely can't do it now either.
    Hmmm.. being 53, I find it just the opposite, more time to put into my own interests. My son, who is now 26, while busier than ever before with new wife and career, also is excited to play Classic but does not play live. And he brings his wife as a total new player to WoW Classic.

People have forgotten what it was like to be excited to play WoW... because WoW has not offered and exciting, rewarding experience for years. Once again, Classic will appeal to those players looking for THAT experience.

- - - Updated - - -

And I mirror the @huth's sentiments: it is also my experience that the older a person is, the less time they tend to have and/or the less desire to spend their time on games they have. I'm not saying they don't exist, but the type of player you described above seems to be the rare kind.
    Have you taken a census of the people currently playing WoW? Maybe you should. I think you;d be surprised at the demographics of people still playing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm.. being 53, I find it just the opposite, more time to put into my own interests. My son, who is now 26, while busier than ever before with new wife and career, also is excited to play Classic but does not play live. And he brings his wife as a total new player to WoW Classic.
    It's good that you do, man, but your example does not really counter huth's post.

People have forgotten what it was like to be excited to play WoW...
    That's a bold claim, my dude.

Have you taken a census of the people currently playing WoW? Maybe you should. I think you;d be surprised at the demographics of people still playing.
    Have you? Where's your census data?

I'm pretty sure I made it clear that what I said is my opinion, my experience. Never said it's a fact.
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

Quote Originally Posted by PavelGolub View Post
    This really doesn't seem to be a very large number at all judging from the BfA forums.

Arrows shouldn't appear out of nowhere. They should be crafted or purchased from a merchant who makes their living doing so. That is an MMORPG.

Unlimited ammo, queueing up for content, RNG gear tokens, store mounts, toys, and pets? That is not.

- - - Updated - - -

It's good that you do, man, but your example does not really counter huth's post.
    It clearly does. Now you are just being difficult for fun. One more ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by Namalia View Post
    I think you overestimate Classic's appeal.
    Specifically, diehard fans overestimate how many people will finish the 1-60 experience.

Questing itself is a treasure hunt of trying to find appropriate level quests scattered throughout the world. Fail to find enough of them and you run out, creating a questing deadzone where you need to grind. And combat, hah, hope you brought a lot of food / drink with you. Combat is slow and painful. Pull two mobs and you might be corpse running.

Not sure people appreciate just what Classic is. Slow and grueling, through and through.

5+ Year Old Account
    God these threads are shit. Stupid people having pointless discussions.

just like anything with big hype.. everyone joins the hype and then it dies down after a few weeks/months.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't, because he never said it applies to everyone, and you just talked about your experience. If I said "most tourists that come from France were born in France", you saying "I'm a tourist from France but I wasn't born in France" in no way negates what I said.

Also, speaking of "ignoring", you just completely ignored the real question in my post. Where's your census data? After all, by claiming the results of a census would align with your views, it means you must have done a census yourself. I'm just asking to see your census data.

A lot of retail subs wont be even trying classic. Another high percentage will create a character, spend 2 hours and find they are lvl 6 and then never touch classic again. Some will play classic between patch gaps only. But I don’t expect that a lot of retail subs will go full classic only. What I think most possible, and I supose Blizzard hopes it too, is that old classic players come again and one day bite into retail because their sub includes it.

If anything, classic will bring more people into retail.

Quote Originally Posted by Akasha64 View Post
    Yeah, I mean for someone who has never played WoW before, how can he know he will prefer classic over modern WoW? He'd have nothing to go on. To such a person without deep understanding of the game, classic and modern WoW are the same thing, it's just WoW. So classic will only appeal to previous WoW players who have an understanding of what the game was like back in vanilla. Not to mention teenagers these days are not the teenagers from back in 2004. The Call of Duty generation is going to place a higher emphasis on graphics, something which WoW has not had at a cutting edge level for 10 years now.
    This is bullshit. I am a wrath baby and I've enjoyed playing on Nostalrius. I bet almost everyone that is currently playing and most people that have played in the past will at least check out classic.

btw. Call of Duty came out before WoW

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PedroloGeo View Post
    A lot of retail subs wont be even trying classic. Another high percentage will create a character, spend 2 hours and find they are lvl 6 and then never touch classic again. Some will play classic between patch gaps only. But I don’t expect that a lot of retail subs will go full classic only. What I think most possible, and I supose Blizzard hopes it too, is that old classic players come again and one day bite into retail because their sub includes it.

If anything, classic will bring more people into retail.
    Everything points to the exact opposite though. People know exactly how retail is atm, because most WoW players will at least resub when a new expansion launches (that's why the subs have always gone over 10mio at the start since MoP), while the vast majority of the playerbase aren't even aware that you can play vanilla on a private server (that are also not a good representation of classic and that have many many issues).

If anything everyone that is currently subbed will check out classic, because it's free for them.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    This is bullshit. I am a wrath baby and I've enjoyed playing on Nostalrius. I bet almost everyone that is currently playing and most people that have played in the past will at least check out classic.
    Ok, but you said it yourself. Everybody that is currently playing and people that played in the past. This is not the whole population of the world. It is a lot of people, but what about the people who never even tried out WoW before? I doubt they will be playing classic.

No, it rather clearly does not. Aside from you only giving anecdotal evidence that you, personally, have more available time, it also ignores that i was talking specificially about the game.
    That you have more time to spend on your interests does not automatically mean that you have more time for any individual interest.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, it rather clearly does not. Aside from you only giving anecdotal evidence that you, personally, have more available time, it also ignores that i was talking specificially about the game.
    That you have more time to spend on your interests does not automatically mean that you have more time for any individual interest.
    And your statements are anecdotal as well are they not?

So much arguing to try and somehow lessen how popular Classic might be... what are you people afraid of?

We'll find out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Clozer View Post
    Vanilla is limited and not expanding. You can play it through in a couple of months. People will then want to continue their journey on retail.
    People asked for classic because they like playing the classic game and dicking around in that client. Of course, alot of ppl will probably get bored, but then it simply was not made for them and that is FINE. "Play it through" is really a weird term for an mmo with an endgame tbh. If all that matters to you is to mark off a checklist of raid progression, you should definately not bet too much on classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Nozuka View Post
    The anticipation of Classic has killed BFA for me... didn't even get to max level before i stopped playing. tried again last weekend but stopped after 1 hour. still 2 levels to go.

One of the things i miss the most: Getting a spell or talent with (almost?) every level.
    And i really hate todays talent trees...

Or maybe i'm just burned out and classic won't change a thing... guess i'll find out "soon".
    I realize it's a highly subjective topic, but I dont think BFA is a "bad" expansion because of the leveling process between 110 and 120. It sounds to me like you just aren't into wow anymore. If you started at level 1 then I think it is 100% a different issue, and I agree that leveling between 1 and 110 is pretty shitty on live.