Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Myobi View Post
    Also, someone raised a question early in the thread that I still haven’t seen an answer to, why is this outrage only directed to Epic and not the companies selling out the exclusivity to them?
    Because it is Epic who is poaching these games. No company approaches them and say "Can we become your exclusive? All the hate your store gets is really good PR move for us!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Cheese View Post
    This is blatantly wrong.
    You barely own the game if it is on physical media. You literally don't own anything you bought digitally. You merely have a license to use it. And that license can be revoked at any time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just vote with your wallets and boycot that fucking store.

One could also argue that 95% of people who are interested in Rocket League would've bought the game by now it released 4 years ago.
    ( ° ͜ʖ͡°)╭∩╮

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The fun factor would go up 1000x if WQs existed in vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Sting View Post
    Just vote with your wallets and boycot that fucking store.

One could also argue that 95% of people who are interested in Rocket League would've bought the game by now it released 4 years ago.
    That's what most of us are doing. Most of the arguments here though, spew from the few particular posters who are jumping to point out anyone who state that they're voting with their wallets, are "cry babies". Something I personally find to be blatant corporate shilling, or at the very least extreme fanboyism.

Some people love their steam libraries. Some prefer their GOG libraries. Who the fuck are some of you, to criticize consumers based on where they want to have their gaming collections? Nobodies.

I don't see anyone yelling and name calling anybody who's playing Fortnite or owning games on the Epic store for example. To each their own. Stop the nonsensical toxic shilling, please.
    Last edited by Odintdk; 2019-05-03 at 11:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    go epic, the real reason gamers hate epic is because epic censors their game content, they only alllow high quality titles, while steam allows any game on their pllatform. So games with white supramecist themes arent allowed on epic, to get an idea of steams base,http://fortune.com/2019/03/15/valve-...aland-shooter/ so they see this as another "LEFTIST sjw" takeover of games, and dont care about actual quality of games or good compensation for developers.
    Epic game store is full of more security holes than my first .NET emailer web app back in 99`. . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It actually hasn't been confirmed at all.

Also when/if it happens so what? You can't buy Valve games on the EGS, you can't buy EA games on the EGS why should you be able to buy an Epic game on Steam? You understand they own the game and studio now right? So what are you mad about? Successful companies making good business moves? Sounds more like jealousy then rage at this point.
    Exclusive games to platforms are bad for the industry.

It's the same reason why you have netflix and now you're probably not happy that you have to buy Disney + and CBS all access to watch shows that left, when you probably would've been fine giving another $2-3 a month to Netflix, rather than paying for 2 more services at 5-10$ each.

It's just turning into a la carte gaming with exclusives that insulate your brand, creating zero competition in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    People keep saying it but they can never prove it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, yes… “poaching”, because that’s totally what’s going on here…

Epic is going around illegally pointing a gun at these developers forcing them to take their money in exchange for exclusivity, yeah… that totally answers my question.

... next?!
    Can we stop the "gun to head" stuff? It's fucking stupid. No, they aren't doing that, but money is a decent way to force people to do stuff too

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    What was once the benchmark has become the industry standard. The baseline infrastructure
    So why is it that all of the features of steam are not the industry standard? They are not the baseline that other companies have used? Origin doesn't have reviews. Uplay doesn't have reviews. They have game forums but not in-store. About the only standard that EGS is missing is achievements.

If early behavior sets the culture of a company then being like early steam at the begining is a good thing right? Since steam is the god-standard you are all holding them to.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    Because it is Epic who is poaching these games. No company approaches them and say "Can we become your exclusive? All the hate your store gets is really good PR move for us!"
    I think that is their point though. Why is it okay when a developer approaches a store and says lets make an exclusive deal. But it is terrible when the store approaches the developer and does the same thing. Steam has many exclusives. There is a reason why even when you buy from other sellers you still get a steam key. I remember when Skyrim launched and the disc copy was just a steam key.

Steam doesn't have to make offers to developers anymore because they know that developers have little other choice.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post

It's the same reason why you have netflix and now you're probably not happy that you have to buy Disney + and CBS all access to watch shows that left, when you probably would've been fine giving another $2-3 a month to Netflix, rather than paying for 2 more services at 5-10$ each.

It's just turning into a la carte gaming with exclusives that insulate your brand, creating zero competition in the market.
    When all of these stores such as Uplay, Origin, Epic etc are all free to download and use, how is that in any way comparable to what's happening with e.g Disney content leaving netflix?

10+ Year Old Account
    I absolutely agree, it's fucking stupid, just as pretending that you are "forced" to accept someone else's money.
    You pretty much are in some cases though. Unless you like starving and being homeless

https://www.rocketleague.com/news/ps...-epic-family-/

So not only are they going after games that aren't out yet. They will outright buy games off steam for their store. This isn't competition. This is strong arming.
    whats the problem with them buying games, have you seen what they did with the FREE game fortnite and how much money they made and how good of a game they made? what the hell is the problem lol

- - - Updated - - -

Tim Sweeney is obsessed with putting Epic store on top. How am I a dolt?
    again you're a dolt because that's more than likely tim sweeneys job, and he's doing it well so whats the fucking problem...lol do you not understand how business works?
    Master Personal Trainer Instagram: Understarmor
    Certified Fitness Nutritionist Facebook: Paul Starnes Fitness
    Certified in Corrective Exercise Science

If you have any fitness/nutrition related questions, feel free to DM me!

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    When all of these stores such as Uplay, Origin, Epic etc are all free to download and use, how is that in any way comparable to what's happening with e.g Disney content leaving netflix?
    Yea... everyone creating their own paid streaming service has a chance of imploding that market... making it as bad as the cable that people are running from.

This epic store shit, while annoying and the app is somewhat questionable, is nowhere near that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You pretty much are in some cases though. Unless you like starving and being homeless
    Which studios does this apply to in this instance?

Rocket League is an UE3 game engine so it'll be interesting to see if Epic can polish it even further.

Nothing wrong with buying the developing company. You just mad it's Epic doing it?
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    There was a thread on reddit about Steam sales and how Steam needs competition. People pointed out how competition improved Steam sales but that momentum kind of stagnated because at the end of the day third party keysellers like GMG still rely on Steam, devs still rely on Steam, so Valve can still do whatever it wants.

Naturally, someone said, well you have companies like Epic moving to offer Valve competition. Suddenly it was, 'fuck Epic. rah rah rah' in a thread that was just Steam has too strong of a hold on PC gaming and needs competition. I don't get it.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Yes, I'm not counting subsidiary studios as being part of the developers.

Should I? I mean, Epic just purchased Psyonix and that still seems to be a problem to some...
    Problems aside, its part of Epic now, along with every title in their portfolio. I don't count subsidiaries as being "independent" of their owner, for obvious reasons. When push comes to shove, its still the owning companies' funds and decisions that allow or prevent the studio from developing great games... and hopefully the market rewards them for developing great games (and not monetizing it to !#@$ and back).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Naturally, someone said, well you have companies like Epic moving to offer Valve competition. Suddenly it was, 'fuck Epic. rah rah rah' in a thread that was just Steam has too strong of a hold on PC gaming and needs competition. I don't get it.
    I think what people were expecting was that competition would lead to innovation on the consumer side, whereas Epic is all about courting the publishers, and pushing their blind pre-order sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I think what people were expecting was that competition would lead to innovation on the consumer side, whereas Epic is all about courting the publishers, and pushing their blind pre-order sales.
    Pretty much this. People say that Epic is trying to help the market by pushing their 12% cut, but what they're doing is screwing over consumers, especially in less developed countries and those that use alternative payment methods. They're getting 12% by giving consumers the costs that Steam covers with their 30% cut.

I was going to post a link here, but I don't have enough posts... Googling 'Epic Store and 12% cut' will bring the article up.

Another thing that I hear is that they're helping the developers, but they're not. Most of the developers (outside of the indie games) have little choice in the matter. They're paying the publisher to get exclusivity in most cases, and there's no obligation for the publisher to share those funds with the developer themselves. It's also no secret that Epic doesn't care about gamers at all, Tim Sweeney sees us as sheep that will follow developers blindly, which is why they're focused on getting exclusives and not actively improving the consumer experience, more-so the developer side of their store front and refuse to put reviews in their store pages, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    There was a thread on reddit about Steam sales and how Steam needs competition. People pointed out how competition improved Steam sales but that momentum kind of stagnated because at the end of the day third party keysellers like GMG still rely on Steam, devs still rely on Steam, so Valve can still do whatever it wants.

Competition leads to innovation. Epic isn't competing, since they're not offering the same games. If Epic came along with their 12% split and didn't buy exclusivity from games, it would be competition. The old platform with a lot of users baked in, or the new one with better revenue split. As it stands you either buy from steam, or you buy another game from Epic, you don't ever have the choice of picking between them (From a major game, some indies might)
    Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Nothing wrong with buying the developing company. You just mad it's Epic doing it?
    I'm not really mad, just disappointed after they said (multiple times) that they want to get out of the exclusivity market that they continue grabbing exclusives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Competition leads to innovation. Epic isn't competing, since they're not offering the same games. If Epic came along with their 12% split and didn't buy exclusivity from games, it would be competition. The old platform with a lot of users baked in, or the new one with a better revenue split. As it stands you either buy from steam, or you buy another game from Epic, you don't ever have the choice of picking between them (From a major game, some indies might)
    We're still in the early phase of whatever Epic's plan it. Right now they're selling cheap store space to devs to acquaint end users with their platform. Buying exclusives isn't sustainable any won't get people to dump Steam or run Epic in parallel to it. Naturally their next move in platform features and incentives. They have a roadmap

I'm not really mad, just disappointed after they said (multiple times) that they want to get out of the exclusivity market that they continue grabbing exclusives.
    They said that something they'll do in the future. Not enough time has passed to say they haven't or won't do it. The process is part of the building phase, which they are still in. Building a store was a problem a 'dream' to that they never thought was possible. The Fortnite money was like winning the lotto jackpot, suddenly they have the capital to open that little shop they've always wanted. Iiiits not far from when Valve won the lotto. Valve had the advantage of being a pioneering company when it comes to modern digital distribution.

All I wish the gaming community (the vocal community) would do it just wait to see if Epic will sink or swim. You don't have to hate it, you don't have to cheer for it, just wait and see what will happen. The way some people go off its like Epic kicking their dog every night.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2019-05-05 at 08:28 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive