Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Opinions on Demon Hunters

Now that the classes are generally settled into their places and there's been plenty of breathing room to adjust-

I'm curious what the general opinion is here about the addition of Demon Hunters to WoW, and the changes the Warlock class has had. Are you happy with Warlocks are at, do you think Demon Hunters have taken away a lot of Warlock popularity, do you wish they would have their metamorphosis gameplay, or maybe you don't care about Demon Hunters in the slightest. I just want to see what Warlock players opinions are at on this class.

As a main spec, 2.2k rbg demon lock, demon hunters taking meta felt like a personal attack, tbqh. You took the most nuanced caster to play in RBGs and replaced them with a fucking piñata wearing a big sign that says "please rape my boihole". You went from being a high skill floor high reward caster to being a meme. Fucking disgusting and insulting to any demon lock who PvPed, i can't remember a single main spec demon lock i knew who even PLAYED legion, let alone BfA.

Don't even get me started on RBGs.

What they did was wrong, IMO.

Meta and some things like Immolation aura was a core of Warlocks for a LONG time in demonology spec. There is no way it feels good having something visual appealing and strong taken off from you and given to other class(es).

As for satisfied with the current design... I feel like afflic NEEDS some kind of AoE that isn't really so restricted or in a very long CD. It doesn't need to be an amazing AoE like legion, but maybe giving Vile Taint baseline and increasing it's soul shard cost to 2 so you would only use it in heavy AoE scenarios like mass pulling in Dun or reaping. In these situations afflic feels very useless.

As for the other two... demon is good, but only with enormous ammount of haste. I wonder what they will do with traits that make or break the specs once 8.2 is over.
    Thanks for the heads up!

A lil' annoyed, I enjoyed WoD Demonbolt specc a lot.

But thematically it fits better with DH imo.

I'm over it.

couldnt care less about the theme they "stole", i miss the gameplay of demo not how it looked
    they could've kept the gameplay without the illidan meta, but current iteration of demo isnt that bad either

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    Now that the classes are generally settled into their places and there's been plenty of breathing room to adjust-

I'm curious what the general opinion is here about the addition of Demon Hunters to WoW, and the changes the Warlock class has had. Are you happy with Warlocks are at, do you think Demon Hunters have taken away a lot of Warlock popularity, do you wish they would have their metamorphosis gameplay, or maybe you don't care about Demon Hunters in the slightest. I just want to see what Warlock players opinions are at on this class.
    Played a warlock for 10 years and the only times I played demo was in LK where the buff was a must have and beginning of WoD, so even with it, it wasn't a popular spec anyway. And it was only briefly that it had some game changing mechanics associated to it, at least when it was a competing spec anyway.

It was a cool thing to have but it's a DH iconic thing so can't really complain about losing it.

The complain is how poorly they designed it for DH. A pretty lame looking form (personally would've preferred Leotheras/Illidan forms) with nothing added to it but a damage increase. There was so much potential with it ... some ranged abilites, flying up for a few seconds and channel an eye beam etc.

Warlocks losing popularity to DH is because on one hand DH's are very fun to play, simple, but fun while locks are in a clusterfuck form.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

As someone said before, they should have preserved the old school Meta at least as a glyph. For example, you could do Glyph of the Tyrant, where you channel some energy from your Tyrant while he's out, but it would only have a visual effect, not actually give you more power.

Also kind of annoyed by the loss of Hellfire, esp. when I am reminded of it every day in Hearthstone.
    Oh yes, there is a method to my madness O.o
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    We generally consider 0 / 0 / 71 builds to be a failure.
    ^win

DH took abilities from many classes & specs. Why complain now after 2 expansions?

Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    DH took abilities from many classes & specs. Why complain now after 2 expansions?
    Theres enough time to settle down and collect opinions after each class is understood in their own right. Nothing about this os about complaints, its about opinions. I doubt there would be any overwhelming support for DH is here so I didnt use that as an example. Hell, some would probably take offense to the thread by mere suggestion of praising the DH, esp after what happened to metamorphosis.

In my opinion, Metamorphosis should still belong to demonology warlocks. It fits better.

Demon Hunters fight fire with fire, meaning they fight demons using demonic magic and ultimately becoming one, but they don't want to be one.
    Demonology Warlocks are hungry of power (that's true for all warlocks actually), and they do so using demonic magic, pacting with demons or slaving them, creating an army of them under your command, mastering their knowledge... and ultimately they become one (willingly).

Other than that, DHs are cool and way different than warlocks.

Also Hellfire/Immolation Aura should return to Destruction warlocks.

Demon hunters are the fidget spinners of WoW. They're flashy, they spin around a lot and look cool but are ultimately pointless.

As much as they try to make this new demo work, I just don't really like it. I was a long-time demonology main and I find it weird and almost fitting for the legacy of demo to be forgotten by Blizzard to the extent that they completely rewrote the fantasy.
    What demonology is now should have been reserved for if they ever wanted to make a necromancer class, or a 4th spec, or something. Demonology has never been about summoning legions of demons, and in general the Legion itself is ironically not really about swarming in general. Demonology was always in my mind about having one very elite demon and the micromanagement between you and your pet, a true pet class.

Metamorphosis fit perfectly into that theme, too, with a fantasy that gave the feeling of you temporarily becoming a full powerful class, with new abilities to match. While there was a lot I didn't like about Cataclysm and Wrath's demonology, I can't deny that it nailed the fantasy of Metamorphosis: for the duration of the ability you went from a weak, frail and reliant caster to a terrifying demonic monster. Even the reliance on melee range felt intentional and flavorful to me, with immolation aura being as powerful of a CD as it was you were heavily encouraged to try to sit in melee range in an era where mages really didn't do that all that often.

In general I feel like demon hunters existing killed a lot of love for what used to be my favorite spec, and my favorite CD (when it was a cd, fuck the stance version). They feel like the most nauseatingly simple "fast agility-wearing DPS" class that beautifully encapsulates why WoW's class design since WoD has been so horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by blindWarlock View Post
    As a main spec, 2.2k rbg demon lock, demon hunters taking meta felt like a personal attack, tbqh. You took the most nuanced caster to play in RBGs and replaced them with a fucking piñata wearing a big sign that says "please rape my boihole". You went from being a high skill floor high reward caster to being a meme. Fucking disgusting and insulting to any demon lock who PvPed, i can't remember a single main spec demon lock i knew who even PLAYED legion, let alone BfA.

Don't even get me started on RBGs.
    And yeah, this too. I used to PvP as demo in Wrath and Cata and I really miss that style of gameplay. Kiting an enemy and letting the felguard wrack up damage before going meta and just absolutely melting someone is a gameplay style that just doesn't exist anymore, plus being able to kick rogue's asses felt like payback for every affliction and destruction warlock in cata.
    Last edited by Irian; 2019-04-19 at 10:56 AM.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The only things I dislike is that demon-hunters have all these super cool customisations, when fel-touched warlocks don't... I'd love me some tainted skin or green eyes..

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar Hao View Post
    In my opinion, Metamorphosis should still belong to demonology warlocks. It fits better.
    I miss Meta as Demo as well. It was cool back in Cata. If I recall, Blizz's reasoning was that Warlocks summoned and controlled demons from the Fel but shouldn't turn into demons themselves.

5+ Year Old Account
    I adored Demo in WoD. It was fun, fast, engaging and looked cool. I enjoyed throwing out awesome Chaos Waves and using Immolation Aura, I enjoyed the gameplay and the back and forth between caster form and Metamorphosis.

Then they deleted my favorite spec.

I tried playing a Demon Hunter, but it's not the same. It's a boring, simplistic melee spec that only feels somewhat interesting because Meta is visually pleasing. I tried the new Demo, it's dull, uninspired, clumsy and unsatisfying.

Would it really have broken the game if they made DHs a melee version of Demo Locks instead of deleting one spec and giving its identity to a new class combined with imo inferior mechanics? Priests and Paladins both are shiny and full of Light and that's just fine.
    Last edited by enigma77; 2019-05-03 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post

soon demon hunters will be the new rogues. rogue sucks btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Thieves cant View Post
    soon demon hunters will be the new rogues. rogue sucks btw.
    lol wat. There has never been a single tier in which world first guilds haven't brought a rogue or more. They are by far the most survivable melee class in the game and they always have a top tier spec.

Although T11 Demo was fun, I did always feel Warlocks going into melee as a demon was a bit weird. That being said, I think it could be cool if you can be a demonic magic caster. Either an Inquisitor or Eyeglare thing.

Maybe instead of a transform like druids / DHs, it can be even more unique. A Soul Swap.

Talent where you summon out an Inquisitor, then temporarily enter it's body and take control of it, getting empowered spells. Visually it can show your Warlock body encased in a green fel crystal temporarily chained to the Inquisitor. After it's over, you destroy the demon, because that's what Warlocks would do and return safely to your body.

Pieces kill of mythic Uu'nat didn't have any rogues, but I get what you're saying. Blizzard has been slowing eating away rogues survivability in the last two expansions. Don't forget that blizzard also took away the planned curse of elements coming back and gave it to demon hunters.

Because Darkness is a garbage raid utility and without Chaos Brand, DH would rely solely on overperforming in logs to ever be brought in?

I mean, the fix is easy. Make Scribe consumables that can substitute the monk/DH buffs, like with any other buff.