View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Take the norway deal as a document, seach and replace norway with united kingdom, hit print, done
    So you think the brexit idiots are interested in joining the Schengen Area? Because that search&replace deal would require that.

Furthermore, the UK joining the EFTA would require the consent of the current members of the EFTA (Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, and Iceland). And Norway in particular isn't interested.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    So you think the brexit idiots are interested in joining the Schengen Area? Because that search&replace deal would require that.

Furthermore, the UK joining the EFTA would require the consent of the current members of the EFTA (Norway, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, and Iceland). And Norway in particular isn't interested.
    I suddenly like Heidi Nordby Lunde a bit more now.

Where would the difficulty in a custom union be though

Take the norway deal as a document, seach and replace norway with united kingdom, hit print, done

Sure it gives a lot of bonus deals

But they would get all that and not be in the EU, is that not what they want?
    There is no difficulty in a customs union on the side of the EU. However, the EU is well aware of the UK a) not knowing what they're doing, b) procastrinating the fuck out of this shitshow because of the previous point, and c) absolutely willing to abuse the goodwill of the EU for their own egoistical gain, going as far as destroying the EU if they could do it in the process.

So yes, the EU would do wise to handle this as they have done so far, in an orderly fashion. First they get out, then we'll see what the situation is and what can be salvaged and then the UK can request a new arrangement, like any other third country would.

Also, a customs union would immediately put any dreams of negotiating trade deals on their own into a deep grave. Despite what they probably believe right now, the UK cannot join the customs union and just go ahead and make trade deals on their own with whoever they want in whatever fashion they want.

If that's done. What the hell was the point of Brexit in the first place? They always had control over their border, they are already in the customs union, they got to keep their precious money... so really Brexit is just about the UK giving up its vote in the most dramatic fashion conceivable, just to spite the EU?

"I DETEST THESE PROCEEDINGS! I SHALL NOW LAY DOWN MY VOTE AND NEVER AGREE OR DISAGREE TO ANYTHING. Please let us stay, we dig your rules and want to continue being a member of everything, just really... it's the voting, it breaks our brains. We just can't do it."

Is that it? :P
    Last edited by Slant; 2019-05-06 at 09:15 AM.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...KCN1SC0OK?il=0

So now May is realising that the People's Vote may not be avoidable after all.
    I'm not going to get my hopes up. They'll fuck it up somehow. Half-arse the campaign again or something... or not campaign in it at all, because that would mean taking a position. Imagine a Remain campaign that had no official backing other than the SNP and Libdems... And Tories and Labor both going "we'll see who wins first..."
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

She's just stating the obvious in the knowledge that it will apply pressure to Leave-inclined waiverers on both sides to get behind her deal.

I’m sure this is going to be the outcome: her deal (with token / fudgey amendments, stuff that can be unpicked in the future) will pass with Labour support.

All we’re seeing is a desperate attempt by her and Corbyn to keep their parties intact, maintaining the two party system that is breaking this country. Corbyn thinks he can beat her but he can't and we'll just end up with endless Tory governments outside of the EU.

Cheery, cheery.

Where would the difficulty in a custom union be though
    Doesn't fix the Irish Border, will require the same withdrawal agreement as exists today.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I just don't see it as healthy, personally. It's what people do to create echo chambers or to essentially silence those they disagree with.

It's even weirder on Twitter where people actually wear being ignored by someone as a badge of honour lol
    I rarely ignore people, you really have to go far to make me ignore someone. However, i did ignore a fella a few months ago after he became too much of a defender of nasty regimes (North Korea defending eh? dafuq?)

I've not seen the poll on which this article; https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...main-1-6031751 is based but it is interesting in so much as although the leave vote is split over two options it the first poll (that I've seen) where specifically remain and no-deal have been polled and remain is the clear favourite.

This may represent a shift in public opinion away from leaving the EU and, potentially, adds weight to the campaign for a 2nd ref.
    Last edited by Pann; 2019-05-06 at 04:25 PM.

I don't think she will get Labour support. They know full well that anything May is offering will be undone by whoever comes next, it is beyond obvious. Heck Tory Remainers know it as well.
    There are x number of Eurosceptic Tory leavers who voted for MV3 but might now vote against MV4 depending on the exact nature of the 'concessions'. But, on the other hand, I'm sure there are plenty of Labour MPs who, as we approach the real cliff edge, are more concerned about keeping their seats and maintaining the two party system, and who voted against MV3 but will vote for MV4.

It's all a numbers game isn't it? If they do actually agree a deal I don't think it's clear it'd fail. I’m sure a larger number of Labour MPs would vote for it while a hardcore of remainers wouldn't. But the question is would the Labour leavers be balanced out by an equally large number of hardcore Eurosceptic Tory leavers voting against it.

You could end up with the (comical) scenario where both parties are split broadly in two. Entirely indicative of the country as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I've not seen the poll on which this article; https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/top...main-1-6031751 is based but it is interesting in so much as although the leave vote is split over two options it the first poll (that I've seen) where specifically remain and no-deal have been polled and remain is the clear favourite.

This may represent a shift in public opinion away from leaving the EU and, potentially, adds weight to the campaign for a 2nd ref.
    https://www.kisbridgingloans.co.uk/f...ain-in-the-eu/ are the people who commissioned it but I can’t find the poll on the YouGov website.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account

it may seem obvious to me, but if you dont know how to leave properly, the remain option is the best one.

15+ Year Old Account
    This thread reached as many pages as there has been debates in the parliament

But May keeps telling us; we decided, and we aren't allowed to change our minds now. It wouldn't be "democratic". /s

We just need enough weight behind a second referendum that it becomes politically expedient to do it. Or rather, that the realisation dawns on them that it is going to be more politically damaging for them NOT to. The Tories are losing voters to both sides, the longer this goes on and isn't resolved. But whatever form of Brexit they actually push through will then actually crystalise further losses once people realise they haven't got the specific form of Brexit that they wanted (and were originally promised).

Just needs one final push, from where I'm sitting. Maybe the EU elections will show enough support swinging behind the Remain parties to make it inevitable?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

61% sounds like a safe margin

I think it is this one:
    https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne..._updated_w.pdf

Edit: You know when I read those polls I wonder how many of the people who answer are just trolling, live in a cave or are brain damaged (probably the 1st). I mean look at this:https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...t%20stance.pdf
    There is a 3% and 5% respectively that believe the Brexit Party and UKIP to be anti-brexit and a 16% and 21% who don't know.
    61% is a safe margin but you need to remember that is remain versus May's deal which has always polled poorly against both no deal and remain. What is key, for me at least, is that remain has been polled against both no-deal and May's deal and has come out the clear winner; 53% remain, 34% no-deal and remainder in favour of May's deal.

It is not the poll you've linked as fieldwork for that one was carried out on 19th March and the fieldwork for the KIS commissioned poll took place between 23rd - 24th April 2019.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    https://www.kisbridgingloans.co.uk/f...ain-in-the-eu/ are the people who commissioned it but I can’t find the poll on the YouGov website.
    Yup, I read through that. It appears that the poll was commissioned to ascertain how Brexit has affected financial decision making therefore it's possible that Yougov will not publish the poll data as it may contain commercially sensitive data.

Edit: You know when I read those polls I wonder how many of the people who answer are just trolling, live in a cave or are brain damaged (probably the 1st). I mean look at this:https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...t%20stance.pdf
    There is a 3% and 5% respectively that believe the Brexit Party and UKIP to be anti-brexit and a 16% and 21% who don't know.
    Yes, that is utterly bizarre and completely depressing.

A total of 19% of those polled either don't know that the Brexit Party is pro-Brexit or think that it's anti-Brexit.

19% who are that dumb? Literally, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. It brings out my inner fascist.

You notice that the Scots are more switched on / engaged?

19% of 1730 polled is 328 people!

I guess a certain percent will be trolling (most likely those who answered the Brexit party is anti-Brexit), but the rest of them?

edit

Sorry, looking at this in more detail.

Looking on page 2 - the crux of it is that 12% of those who are planning to vote in the EP elections think that either the Brexit Party is anti-Brexit, neither anti-Brexit or pro-Brexit, or don't know.

It's that 12% who shouldn't be allowed to vote.
    Last edited by LeGin Tufnel; 2019-05-06 at 06:45 PM.

Or procreate.
    Well, quite.

Literally, this is so completely fucking depressing.

Off the top of your head, is this level of disengagement / stupidity reflected in your own country (sorry, is it Greece?).

Anyone from another country want to chip in?

Or am I over-reacting? Is this sort of utter stupidity actually not unique to the British.

Fuck. This is addictive.

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/res...f-010cec185b0b

20% of Brits have a) not read a book in the last 12 months (17%) or b) do not know if they've read a book in the last 12 months (3%)

- - - Updated - - -

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/res...8-01e7f8f09add

I guess this was a Theresa May-orientated one... didn't she say something about eating mouldy jam?

If you opened a jar of jam and there was some mould on the top, what would you do?

Discard the mould, and eat the jam that was underneath 35%
    Throw away the jam 60%
    Don't know 5%

How is it possible for 5% of the population not to be able to formulate an opinion on this.

Burner will be along soon to tell me that 5% of the population can't afford jam.

- - - Updated - - -

This is genuinely very funny

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/res...5-53e93fea2510

Do you think exercise gear is an acceptable or unacceptable Christmas gift for someone who has not specifically asked for it?

Don't know 30%

Really? I'm sure as hell glad I'm not related to them.

Here's my Xmas list, hubby. It doesn't include an exercise bike.

Here's an exercise bike.

Are you calling me fat?

- - - Updated - - -

https://yougov.co.uk/opi/surveys/res...7-0126291aebdb

3% of people don't know if they've watched the film "Withnail And I"

Now - this one, I can relate to. I've definitely started watching it pre/mid/post spliff but I can't swear to have finished watching it.

7+ Year Old Account
    19% of 1730 polled is 328 people!

I guess a certain percent will be trolling (most likely those who answered the Brexit party is anti-Brexit), but the rest of them?

edit

Sorry, looking at this in more detail.

Looking on page 2 - the crux of it is that 12% of those who are planning to vote in the EP elections think that either the Brexit Party is anti-Brexit, neither anti-Brexit or pro-Brexit, or don't know.

It's that 12% who shouldn't be allowed to vote.
    Well the Brexit party is a moderate centrist party who just have a desire to uphold democracy and it is quite possible that the clean brexit they want is not hard enough for some people. In fact compared to some others they may even see the BXP as a remain party. I know, I know no one believes me and you are itching to label them as extreme brexiteers, so let me try to help you all.

Here is a full list of candidate MEP's standing in the NW.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48081445

You still think Farage and the BXP are extreme? Not UKIP on the list more so? How about this guy on that list...

https://www.votetommy.co.uk/

So you still think the Brexit party, and people like me who support them are extreme? If so you and the EU deserve Tommy...
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    If so you and the EU deserve Tommy...
    Care to expand?

I deserve Tommy. Ok.

---

Anyway, don't flip the argument. If you go back to the original quote, it was you calling Lib Dems, Greens extremists, not vice versa. Which is patently ridiculous.

But now you're at it: yes, Brexit Party supporters are both extremists and morons.

There you go.
    Last edited by LeGin Tufnel; 2019-05-06 at 07:49 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Care to expand?

I deserve Tommy. Ok.

---

Anyway, don't flip the argument. If you go back to the original quote, it was you calling Lib Dems, Greens extremists, not vice versa. Which is patently ridiculous.

But now you're at it: yes, Brexit Party supporters are both extremists and morons.

There you go.
    Surely the centre ground moves according to where the majority vote share lies and is constantly malleable? If 1 in a 1000 people talk to plants and spend the weekend hugging trees like the greenies do, you don't think that one person is extreme? Of course it could be reversed and 999/1000do the tree hugging and 1 doesn't... see what I mean?

The centre ground, like it or not is occupied currently by the Brexit party. Those moving away from that centre ground are moving towards the extremities... the Lib Dems/Greenies are travelling along that path away from the centre.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"