Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    If you want a permanent spot aim for being friend with leaders or good.
    Dont stray from common choices if your not really good, stick to basic.

"what class should i play?" threads are not allowed

Classic is going to be vastly different from Vanilla, I think there are going to be many more "viable" specs since everyone basically knows what the best theory crafters in Vanilla knew, things will be quite a bit different. and also the same, I mean I remember my guild in Vanilla looking for people to fill the 40 man raid and basically just wanted bodies most of the time. If you are competent as a player you can basically play whatever you want and get a raid spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    I did forget hunters.
    You can easily make due with just having one warlock though for CoE. Unless you specifically need several for some sort of Banish strat.
    Wouldn't you want at least two for CoE and CoW?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xpose View Post
    Up to the guild, there's usually a fair few debuffs that has a lot higher priority than CoW as increasing raid damage means a shorter fight which tends to help a lot more than the tank taking less damage.
    Healers were always short on mana in general, unless you were a holy paladin in AQ40/Naxx gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Note that this is all ballparked, according to Tips Out raid composition guide:

*8 Warriors (20%), 6 Rogues (15%), 7 Mages (A 17.5%), 4 healing Priests, 1 Shadow Priest (12.5%), 4 Warlocks (10%), 2 Hunters (H 5%), 2 Druids (H 5%).
    *Alliance have 1 Nightfall Hunter (A 7.5%), 1 Feral Druid (A 7.5%) and 4 Holy Paladins (10%).
    *Horde have 1 additional Mage (H 20%), 4 healing Shamen and 1 Enhance Shaman (12.5%).

According to the WoW Classic subreddit census:

*Alliance 51.2%, Horde 48.8%.
    *17.4% Warrior, 11.4% Rogue, 13.7% Mage, 12.7% Priest, 11.9% Warlock, 9.6% Hunter, 8.7% Druid, 7.2% Paladin, 7.4% Shaman.

This makes:

*Alliance:
    **17.5% Warrior (-2.5%),
    **11.4% Rogue (-3.6%),
    **13.7% Mage (-3.8%),
    **12.7% Priest (+0.2%),
    **12% Warlock (+2%),
    **9.6% Hunter (+2.1%),
    **8.8% Druid (+1.3%),
    **14.1% Paladin (+4.1%).

*Horde:
    **17.3% Warrior (-2.7%),
    **11.4% Rogue (-3.6%),
    **13.6% Mage (-6.4%),
    **12.6% Priest (+0.1%),
    **11.8% Warlock (+1.8%),
    **9.6% Hunter (+4.6%),
    **8.6% Druid (+3.6%),
    **15% Shaman (+2.5%).

Horde Mage wins.

There's still some Warrior, Rogue and Mage space for both factions. As Warriors can tank, I suggest Rogue or Mage.
    Last edited by Firebert; 2019-05-06 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Formatting
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

Warlocks become much better after BWL and are far stronger than hunters at that point, who you still only really bring as many as the encounter demands for throughout the expansion.

Mage or rogue is probably your best bet, I'd say dps warrior but you're going to have a lot of competition and you need lots of gear which is tough to get unless you know people.

You would want more simply for convenience. Just think of those two poor Warlocks having to organize Healthstones, Soulstones and Summons all by themselves.
    Seriously, I wouldn't want to raid in a guild with one Warlock, being THE Warlock.
    Last edited by Malacrass; 2019-05-06 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverendChris View Post
    One that is friendly to other players & gets in a guild that likes you. Seriously, play what you want & make some friends. Unless you want to be in a hardcore raid, your friends will take with them even if you are a balance Druid. Hard core gaming is too much like work, who wants that?
    You don't have to be """""hardcore""""" in order to not want to bog your raid down with garbage ret paladins and balance druids.

High Overlord
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    You don't have to be """""hardcore""""" in order to not want to bog your raid down with garbage ret paladins and balance druids.
    Maybe they were only "garbage" because people didn't know how to play them? Probably not, but maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
    I did forget hunters.
    You can easily make due with just having one warlock though for CoE. Unless you specifically need several for some sort of Banish strat.
    except for the fact that warlocks around AQ40 start being on par or better than mages. Plus you're forgetting the benefit of several other curses, especially for melee dps, imp buff for tanks, soulstones, healthstones, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    You'll use CoR and CoE if you're only going to use two curses.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    There were raiding ret paladins in vanilla.

Every class/spec can raid, but some were not desirable.
    "What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot?"

If you want a raid spot as DPS, from easiest to hardest while still being viable:

Mage > Rogue = Warrior > Warlock > Hunter

If you're horde I'd say mage. Warriors and rogues will be overpopulated due to windfury and because of threat issues warlocks will be kept to a minimum.

If you're alliance it's probably mage or warlock but I don't think rogues and warriors are to far behind. It's more balanced on the alliance side.

Hunters are usually kept to a minimum regardless of faction but they're also not super popular so it could be an option.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    "What dps class should i play if i want a raid spot?"
    Again, every spec can raid. Some guilds will look for an oddball spec to do the things they bring to the table. Maybe you should understand how raiding in classic actually worked before commenting?

Classic basically required you to be at your keyboard to succeed. Be at your keyboard and you'll get a raid spot. Same as today. Most guilds don't and will not have the luxury of passing people by, especially in hard 40 mans. Arguably, they could be done with 25-30 people up until AQ40/Naxx though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, every spec can raid. Some guilds will look for an oddball spec to do the things they bring to the table. Maybe you should understand how raiding in classic actually worked before commenting?

Classic basically required you to be at your keyboard to succeed. Be at your keyboard and you'll get a raid spot. Same as today. Most guilds don't and will not have the luxury of passing people by, especially in hard 40 mans. Arguably, they could be done with 25-30 people up until AQ40/Naxx though.
    That's a good point, but it's still worth mentioning that if/when cuts need to be made, it's going to be rets and balance first. I'm saying this as someone who loves ret so much, I will probably level one anyways.

I just don't look forward to the "lolret" whispers people will endure. I was harassed mercilessly in BC when I was playing Ret even though I was geared and doing great damage. People talk about how "great" classic was for community, but the community was just as toxic then.
    Its pretty clear most posters did not play 14-15 years ago. And those who played full vanilla (MC, BWL, AQ with a progression guild) are even less. Damage Meter was used in MC vanilla and it was pretty clear how classes/specs performed in the raid. The "hybrid tax" was a thing and blizzard was OK with that.

The thing most people don't get when talking about vanilla is the time shift. 14-15 years ago WoW was the new hot shit and everyone with MMO experience tried it out. You had addons, guides, newsites since DAY-1 and the amount of players with a clear picture from late game was huge. Casual guilds had class officers helping slacker DPS since MC progression and pushing players to the bench if they did not improve. People got told to reroll if they did not manage to imporove - reroll in vanilla, was not done in a weekend.

How can anyone even think for a second, that classic with the current community would even come close to vanilla is beyond my imagination. What are you seeing from the current community? Buying M+ boost runs for the weekly chest because most are unable to participate in a fast and easy dungeon. And the shocker is, its widely accepted as a normal thing. Whats even worse, the prices for the boost remain constant, since the pool of sufficient skilled players is small even though gold is not worthless anymore.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Rogue for melee.
    Easier to gear than DPS warrior, at least if my 16+ year old memories of Classic are accurate.
    Given that 16+ years would be before WoW released, they most likely aren't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    "what class should i play?" threads are not allowed
    That's not really what the thread is about, though. It's "What classes are good in raids", which is acceptable.

Rogue is your safest bet. Be prepared for lots of competition for gear though, as there's going to be a lot of other rogues. Depending on your group's loot system and RNG, you could go quite a while without getting anything.

Being able to stealth run dungeons with other rogues and druids to farm certain gear will be helpful early on. Lockpicking is also a useful utility and you can make a little gold with it.

If you're just going to play casually though, it's more about finding a guild that likes you than it is what class you play.