Thread: Home Invasions

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Only you aren't 'spending your life' worrying about those things... In the case of buying a gun for home defense, you buy a gun, perhaps a safe/lockbox for it if you have children, and then you forget about it. Its like an insurance policy, only entirely out of mind since you aren't paying for it continuously forever like insurance, you pay for it once and then it never matters again unless you need it.

I know anecdotes are pretty worthless, but a couple months ago my sister and my father were arguing about guns (her against, him in favor)... My mom chimed in on my sister's side. I reminded her that she herself owns a gun for home defense, she had completely forgotten about it because it just sits in her closet in a case and she hadn't touched it for years.
    People seems to assume that what they call ''lefties'' are against that. I'm not, while finding it A)useless and B)way more likely to be used to off yourself than any criminal (around 500 times more likely). It's the people who brag that they can carry guns to buy beer to the Walmart that seems to have lots of raisins in the bun. And yes, I know you CAN have three Desert Eagles on you ''in case there are three terrorists that attack me while I go to the Walmart deep in Alabama ', it does not mean you HAVE.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    Again, so incredibly unlikely to happen, its not something to spend much time, other than a fleeting moment, to worry about. There are many deterrents, but the OP wants a non-violent one. Calling the cops is non-violent.
    US gun nuts seems to live at the same time in a place more violent that Bagdad or Kabul, while claiming guns push the crime rate down. (Which is extremely odd, as Canadian cities are way safer than US ones and virtually no one have guns like Americans)

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    People seems to assume that what they call ''lefties'' are against that. I'm not, while finding it A)useless and B)way more likely to be used to off yourself than any criminal (around 500 times more likely). It's the people who brag that they can carry guns to buy beer to the Walmart that seems to have lots of raisins in the bun. And yes, I know you CAN have three Desert Eagles on you ''in case there are three terrorists that attack me while I go to the Walmart deep in Alabama ', it does not mean you HAVE.

- - - Updated - - -

US gun nuts seems to live at the same time in a place more violent that Bagdad or Kabul, while claiming guns push the crime rate down. (Which is extremely odd, as Canadian cities are way safer than US ones and virtually no one have guns like Americans)
    I live in a leftist state with plenty of gun nuts (hunting and farming are huge here). I am not for or against owning guns, if you want to more power to you, if not more power to you. Since this has shifted into a gun ownership topic suddenly, I don't think owning a gun for the very specific reason of "home invasion" is a logical one since it's unlikely to happen. If you own it for everyday protection, that (still astronomically high you'll never use it) isn't as crazy to me.

The sense of security makes people feel comfortable, great. I live in a "not so good" neighborhood myself, but don't feel unsafe at all. I'm more fearful of my younger neighbors who sit and rev their motorcycle for 3 hours a morning on the weekend doing something stupid than someone in the section 8 apartments.

As the poster above said, for someone living outside of countries currently being freedomized by the United States (where having very agressive young men bursting through your door ready to shoot you for any reason is actually a very serious problem), a lot of scenario that are presented as ''common'' by gun nuts are not that common.

Blunt example, the often quoted : ''I need a gun to defend myself from animals''.

Okay. If you are not raising the next champion of an underground fighting dog circle, what animal exactly warrants such fears in the USA (and Canada). If you don't live in Alaska or northern Prairies (99% of the population), the only predator that is actually dangerous to humans (and who usually flee) is the grizzly. There are 1500 of those outside of Alaska, and most of them are in parks. Does that strike you as a very significant risk ?

- - - Updated - - -

Yet in Canada, we have the same density of population than you, less gun, and less crime.
    That's great. But "call the cops" is a really funny solution to finding someone already in your house
    Last edited by ellieg; 2019-05-06 at 07:47 PM.

You just take out you penis and start waving at them while furiously jerking off, make sure to maintain eye contact and moan LOUDLY. This is the best non violent approach.

Otherwise go get your bathroom gun and shoot them if need be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    I would fly in about with a claw hammer. The standard Scottish greeting to an enemy.
    wait no claymore's?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Growing up near Vegas, I learned to ALWAYS keep doors locked. Even then it does not stop a determined robber but gives you and your dog time and the ability to detect and deter a would be criminal. I have 5 kids in my home at any given time and am ready to defend my family.

Now that I live in ND it is so strange to me that many did not start locking their doors till recently. The oil boom brought so much human trash and crime. I live just outside of Bismarck and there is a shooting almost every other week. For 3 months we had some shithead driving around the bisman area shooting houses at random. A couple weeks ago, one of my old clients got pissed at RJR rentals and walked in and stabbed/shot 4 people killing them all. Made national news.
    I see breakins are happening all the time and the victims talk about it on the local facebook group "Bismarck People Reporting News".
    I eventually interact with perpetrators once they are sentenced. Kinda crazy because when you speak with them it is not always known that they stabbed "X" or Shot "X". Some of the people seem like they don't belong in the system, yet when you find out what they did holy shit.

My point is, you NEVER know. Does that mean you should live like an inviting jackass and leave your doors open? Hell no.
    My wife is afraid of guns because her uncle shot himself...her uncle did not the fucking gun but whatever. I love her so we do not have guns in the house. We have been in dialogue and she feels like it may be time to keep a shotgun handy with all the crime going around. As it is, I keep a machete and ax handy near my bed if something happens. We have a badass well trained 100lb pit bull so I am not worried about anyone getting the drop on me in the night but if said intruder has a gun the cops won't be able to do shit. I HATE this because my kids mean the world to me.
    Anyone saying you don't need a gun because you can call the cops is a complete fucking idiot.

You don't need to lock your doors until you do...and then it is TOO LATE!
    When I was in my early twenties I went to my parents house to wash my laundry one day. My dad got home at 2pm from work. I finished and left sometime between 12-1pm. At about 2:30pm my dad called and said their home was broke into. I was like WTF I was just there. Sure enough, I drove back over there and their place was trashed. Someone ransacked what they could, looking for jewelry. They took random stuff to. They even took the damn remotes to the fucking TVs!
    Whoever it was had to be watching me and waiting for me to leave. Maybe they were even in the house at the same time...I dunno.

You just never know. Being careful and locking doors and keeping a gun handy is not irrational. It is smart.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    Growing up near Vegas, I learned to ALWAYS keep doors locked. Even then it does not stop a determined robber but gives you and your dog time and the ability to detect and deter a would be criminal. I have 5 kids in my home at any given time and am ready to defend my family.

Now that I live in ND it is so strange to me that many did not start locking their doors till recently. The oil boom brought so much human trash and crime. I live just outside of Bismarck and there is a shooting almost every other week. For 3 months we had some shithead driving around the bisman area shooting houses at random. A couple weeks ago, one of my old clients got pissed at RJR rentals and walked in and stabbed/shot 4 people killing them all. Made national news.
    I see breakins are happening all the time and the victims talk about it on the local facebook group "Bismarck People Reporting News".
    I eventually interact with perpetrators once they are sentenced. Kinda crazy because when you speak with them it is not always known that they stabbed "X" or Shot "X". Some of the people seem like they don't belong in the system, yet when you find out what they did holy shit.

My point is, you NEVER know. Does that mean you should live like an inviting jackass and leave your doors open? Hell no.
    My wife is afraid of guns because her uncle shot himself...her uncle did not the fucking gun but whatever. I love her so we do not have guns in the house. We have been in dialogue and she feels like it may be time to keep a shotgun handy with all the crime going around. As it is, I keep a machete and ax handy near my bed if something happens. We have a badass well trained 100lb pit bull so I am not worried about anyone getting the drop on me in the night but if said intruder has a gun the cops won't be able to do shit. I HATE this because my kids mean the world to me.
    Anyone saying you don't need a gun because you can call the cops is a complete fucking idiot.

You don't need to lock your doors until you do...and then it is TOO LATE!
    When I was in my early twenties I went to my parents house to wash my laundry one day. My dad got home at 2pm from work. I finished and left sometime between 12-1pm. At about 2:30pm my dad called and said their home was broke into. I was like WTF I was just there. Sure enough, I drove back over there and their place was trashed. Someone ransacked what they could, looking for jewelry. They took random stuff to. They even took the damn remotes to the fucking TVs!
    Whoever it was had to be watching me and waiting for me to leave. Maybe they were even in the house at the same time...I dunno.

You just never know. Being careful and locking doors and keeping a gun handy is not irrational. It is smart.
    I'm from Bismarck myself, where are these shootings happening? I never hear of anything happening around here.
    120 | 110 | 110 | 110 | 101 | 101 | 101 | 100
    91 | 91 | 80 | 70 | 70 | 60 | 60

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I have a 100+ pound dog who I normally put on display on the porch. I don’t think any one would break in.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iETHOSi View Post
    I'm from Bismarck myself, where are these shootings happening? I never hear of anything happening around here.
    https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/...507520131.html

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/...506930121.html

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/north-d...ay-2019-04-01/

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/...505888461.html

https://www.kfyrtv.com/content/news/...503709951.html

https://www.kxnet.com/news/bismarck-...ing/1875931868

I can do this all day man. Do you live under a rock? Seriously, are you sure you live in Bismarck?

Yeah, I know where I live, lmao. You got way too defensive way too quick. I thought the shootings happen every other week? Last one minus RJR was 2 months ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iETHOSi View Post
    Yeah, I know where I live, lmao. You got way too defensive way too quick. I thought the shootings happen every other week? Last one minus RJR was 2 months ago.
    It was of course a bit of an exaggeration
    The shootings have been fairly consistent is my point and uncharacteristic of the area. ND is vary different than the SW. Laws against corporate farms have created a very strong middle class and family units. Nothing like where I grew up. In the 9 years I have been here, crime has got much worse even with the oil lull. I think many did not move away and those who stayed behind have been struggling.
    My point was even here in quaint central ND, locking your doors and being prepared is a good idea.

Due to where I work and what I am surrounded by, I suppose I am just more aware of it. That and where I grew up.
    Nowhere is that safe anymore and there is no harm in taking precautions.

Live in Rural area, If I had to depend on police the quickest they could get to me is maybe 20 mins if they are going 80+MPH. So I don't depend on them to keep my family safe, I have the proper means to protect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    If the sun exploded and in eight minutes the shockwave was going to hit the earth... would you be prepared? This is why everyone needs an interstellar ship. Insanely uncommon and low odd things happen. Be prepared.
    This response sums up mmo-champion so well

OT: Im PRO guns and PRO self defence. Unfortunately I live in a shitty country that doesnt allow people to protect themselfs so I have other weapons than handguns in my home for situations like the ones you describe. Luckily we are still allowed to have shotguns... for now...

Im prepared!

Quote Originally Posted by Animalhouse View Post
    It was of course a bit of an exaggeration
    The shootings have been fairly consistent is my point and uncharacteristic of the area. ND is vary different than the SW. Laws against corporate farms have created a very strong middle class and family units. Nothing like where I grew up. In the 9 years I have been here, crime has got much worse even with the oil lull. I think many did not move away and those who stayed behind have been struggling.
    My point was even here in quaint central ND, locking your doors and being prepared is a good idea.

Due to where I work and what I am surrounded by, I suppose I am just more aware of it. That and where I grew up.
    Nowhere is that safe anymore and there is no harm in taking precautions.
    Of course it's always a good idea to be prepared and lock your doors, which I am and do myself. I'm more or less concerned with the crime that may happen in my area of Bismarck, which seems to be few and far between. I can't remember the last actual gun related crime that happened where I live.

5+ Year Old Account
    As the poster above said, for someone living outside of countries currently being freedomized by the United States (where having very agressive young men bursting through your door ready to shoot you for any reason is actually a very serious problem), a lot of scenario that are presented as ''common'' by gun nuts are not that common.

Blunt example, the often quoted : ''I need a gun to defend myself from animals''.

Okay. If you are not raising the next champion of an underground fighting dog circle, what animal exactly warrants such fears in the USA (and Canada). If you don't live in Alaska or northern Prairies (99% of the population), the only predator that is actually dangerous to humans (and who usually flee) is the grizzly. There are 1500 of those outside of Alaska, and most of them are in parks. Does that strike you as a very significant risk ?

- - - Updated - - -

Yet in Canada, we have the same density of population than you, less gun, and less crime.
    I'm in North Carolina. In my region alone, we have black bear, coyotes, and wild hogs. Wild hogs are, in particular, extremely aggressive and pose a danger to hunters in my area. Coyotes have killed several animals in my neighborhood alone over the years. There's also NC's rather colorful variety of venomous snakes, though rat shot is usually sufficient for those. I also had a teacher attacked by a rabid fox in his driveway.

In all those situations, yeah. I'd like a gun to defend myself.

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    You just take out you penis and start waving at them while furiously jerking off, make sure to maintain eye contact and moan LOUDLY. This is the best non violent approach.

Otherwise go get your bathroom gun and shoot them if need be.
    ...the more I think about it, if I put myself in the intruder's shoes, I'm not about to mess with anyone that absolutely batshit insane.

You may have a point.
    Last edited by Reaper0329; 2019-05-06 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    This response sums up mmo-champion so well

OT: Im PRO guns and PRO self defence. Unfortunately I live in a shitty country that doesnt allow people to protect themselfs so I have other weapons than handguns in my home for situations like the ones you describe. Luckily we are still allowed to have shotguns... for now...

Im prepared!
    You mean they dont allow you to buy 56 different guns ''because a lunatic told me on the radio that the gubinment is going to turn the frog gays with fluor and somehow I need a big manly gun to fight against that'' ?

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

was wondering how long it would take you to show up and spout your usual nation bashing drivel.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

If you want a non violent way to deal with home invasion then you need to harden your home. Reinforced door frames with steel core doors. Bar latches from frame to frame. Motion lights above each entrance, best if full coverage of house. Bars on windows. Good security system. If you have a garage then use the same door suggestions on the door into the house.

Criminals are like water they will follow the path of least resistance so no weak points.

City I live in has 1.5M people.

2017 - 74 Home Invasions
    2018 - 58 Home Invasions

So there's what? around 0.00005% chance of being a victim of a home invasion?

I don't understand the desire to own a gun and dream of the day someone walks through your front door so you can murder them ... must be an American thing.