Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I think what people were expecting was that competition would lead to innovation on the consumer side, whereas Epic is all about courting the publishers, and pushing their blind pre-order sales.
    But why is Epic bad for doing that when it isn't bad for steam to do it? Because most titles are Steam exclusives. Even if they are sold elsewhere many are Steam Keys. Steam doesn't need to court developers because they are the only major option. Steam also wants pre-order sales like anyone else. Just because Steam has reviews doesn't mean they are not equally as blind or that the reviews are even worth anything. Steam has got better with enforcing certain rules for reviews and footage but with how easy it is to bomb a score with things that are not even game related the reviews are ultimately meaningless.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    It's not really a conspiracy. Epic games is completely owned by Tencent.
    I didnt know 40% stake meant completely owning something, the things you learn here.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xweapon View Post
    Pretty much this. People say that Epic is trying to help the market by pushing their 12% cut, but what they're doing is screwing over consumers, especially in less developed countries and those that use alternative payment methods. They're getting 12% by giving consumers the costs that Steam covers with their 30% cut.
    That has nothing to do with the split but everything to do with their payment system. A lot of places charge a fee if it costs them more to accept certain payments. They are not screwing a consumer over anymore then you are screwing yourself over for having a form of payment that incurs higher charges. Yes it sucks if you can't get anything else. But that is just how things work.

I used to be charged a $1 international fee when buying from Greenmangaming. It sucked but the deals were still good enough. It never claimed that they were screwing me over by having me pay a fee for my payment type though.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    Epic buys a studio that had games on steam. As far as I know considerably popular game even. It has been available on steam for quite a while. Now they are pulling it out. You might think thats ok.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comme...t_their_games/

It shouldn't matter if they buy the Studio, or already owned the studio. Games have been pulled from Steam in favor of exclusive control. The reason why you don't hear many cases of this happening is because most places have no where else to go. If they don't have their own distribution system they can't pull from Steam. Ubisoft still sells games on Steam but they try to push their own distribution as much as possible. GMG sells uplay keys only for ubisoft titles for example.

Buying exclusives from a developer that you don't own is completely different then putting the games you own on your own platform only. After all you don't see Steam selling their own games on other platforms do you?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    Heck yeah, China I guess. Are you guys prepared for a game market owned by the Chinese government, where things like blood, death, and women exposing very moderate amounts of skin is no longer a part of your games? Because I sure am! Seriously, China can screw off until they learn how to actually create a first-world government. I know it won't matter much in the grand scheme of things but I'm just going to treat every game that goes to the Epic store as dead out of pure principle.
    Your grasp of the world is amusing. China and large Chinese companies have shares in a lot of products. Even Tencent has shares in most major gaming companies. But hey if you do your homework and look at every investor of everything you buy/use and avoid China that is more power to you. But I doubt you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    You pretty much are in some cases though. Unless you like starving and being homeless
    If that's the case then Epic should be praised for saving these developers, or in less hyperbolic terms at least helping to fund development.
    Last edited by Dhrizzle; 2019-05-05 at 07:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't think many people will click the link but this is what people thought of Steam. See the parallels?

https://slashdot.org/story/51040

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    But why is Epic bad for doing that when it isn't bad for steam to do it? Because most titles are Steam exclusives. Even if they are sold elsewhere many are Steam Keys. Steam doesn't need to court developers because they are the only major option. Steam also wants pre-order sales like anyone else. Just because Steam has reviews doesn't mean they are not equally as blind or that the reviews are even worth anything. Steam has got better with enforcing certain rules for reviews and footage but with how easy it is to bomb a score with things that are not even game related the reviews are ultimately meaningless.
    You obviously don't understand what an exclusive is. If "most titles are Steam exclusives", I'm sure you'd have no problem naming one or two titles that have signed exclusivity contracts with Steam/Valve in the past year ?

15+ Year Old Account
    You obviously don't understand what an exclusive is. If "most titles are Steam exclusives", I'm sure you'd have no problem naming one or two titles that have signed exclusivity contracts with Steam/Valve in the past year ?
    If they are solely on the Steam platform then they are exclusive to steam. You don't have to sign a contract to be exclusive if there is no where else to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Don't think many people will click the link but this is what people thought of Steam. See the parallels?

People dislike change and incomplete products. Valve and Steam has since become a fairly decent store (even if they let in way too much garbage). Hopefully Epic gets into gear and the EGS becomes competent soon

10+ Year Old Account

Yeah, I just find this whole thing with epic games really funny. Do people just have short term memories or something? Can remember when everyone absolutely hated steam. Yet now it's the norm. I personally like epic games as they have provided me numerous free games that I've spent hours playing and also allows some of my favourite developers to get a bit more of the cash that I spend on the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yeah, I just find this whole thing with epic games really funny. Do people just have short term memories or something? Can remember when everyone absolutely hated steam. Yet now it's the norm. I personally like epic games as they have provided me numerous free games that I've spent hours playing and also allows some of my favourite developers to get a bit more of the cash that I spend on the game.
    First I hated Steam for forcing me to download their crappy shop just to play a game I bought in a bricks-and-mortar store.
    Then I liked Steam because it had all those awesome sales!
    Then I hated Steam because I realised I spent a shit-load during those sales on games I would never bother playing thanks to FOMO marketing.
    Now Steam is just an extra stage between me and a game I want to play, and I try to use it as little as possible during the sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    (even if they let in way too much garbage)
    I don't really mind that's there's crap, they really shouldn't have anything limiting what can be sold, the whole Rape Day thing was silly, let people buy that shit if they really want to.

I just find it hard to really get all that upset over epic exclusives, probably because I've been a console gamer all my life and dealing with another launcher is nothing compared to buying another console.

Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    I just find it hard to really get all that upset over epic exclusives, probably because I've been a console gamer all my life and dealing with another launcher is nothing compared to buying another console.
    It's no the best thing for the gamers... but yea Exclusives definitely sell consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    It's no the best thing for the gamers... but yea Exclusives definitely sell consoles.
    They do sell consoles but on PC where we're all even, they just piss people off. Sell it through all platforms and whichever one has the best feature set for me will be the one I buy on. I shouldn't be forced into this because someone offered a developer slightly more money, now i have to deal with an inferior product.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bright-Flower View Post
    Yeah that's another thing I don't get about the uproar or whatever you want to call it.

Console exclusives mean you have to buy the hardware to play them.

The difference between PC exclusives is a piece of FREE software.

- - - Updated - - -

They might as well be Steam exclusives because most devs don't have a choice but to put their game on Steam.

70%+ of all PC sales go through Steam. You have to put your game on Steam just for people to see it. Exclusivity isn't even an option.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I get it being a mild annoyance. I wish I didn't have to boot up Origin to play dragon age etc. But for me it never goes beyond 'minor annoyance.'

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    They do sell consoles but on PC where we're all even, they just piss people off. Sell it through all platforms and whichever one has the best feature set for me will be the one I buy on. I shouldn't be forced into this because someone offered a developer slightly more money, now i have to deal with an inferior product.
    You can't call something being sold elsewhere dealing with an inferior product while also honestly claiming everyone on PC is even. There are plenty of games that can only be bought on steam or only played by buying a steam key and being forced to deal with Steam. I can't play skyrim on Origin's. You can't even have steam track acheivements of games they sell if you buy a non-steam version.

But hey keep telling yourself that exclusives are bad. Keep telling yourself that PC is even. Keep telling yourself that exclusives just piss people off. All the while using steam which sells exclusives, which forces you to use steam games if you want certain features of steam. Which doesn't need to sign developers when they are the only real option.

Yeah that's another thing I don't get about the uproar or whatever you want to call it.

Console exclusives mean you have to buy the hardware to play them.

The difference between PC exclusives is a piece of FREE software.
    This can go both ways. You may think customers are lazy for complaining about extra launcher, I think developers are lazy for not selling game on extra launcher. PC games have no extra porting cost that console exclusives forego by staying on one platform.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    You can't call something being sold elsewhere dealing with an inferior product while also honestly claiming everyone on PC is even. There are plenty of games that can only be bought on steam or only played by buying a steam key and being forced to deal with Steam. I can't play skyrim on Origin's. You can't even have steam track acheivements of games they sell if you buy a non-steam version.

But hey keep telling yourself that exclusives are bad. Keep telling yourself that PC is even. Keep telling yourself that exclusives just piss people off. All the while using steam which sells exclusives, which forces you to use steam games if you want certain features of steam. Which doesn't need to sign developers when they are the only real option.
    Nobody stops developers from releasing on different stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Nobody stops developers from releasing on different stores.
    Right because Developers don't release games publishers do.........
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD