Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That's a pretty silly comparison, I'd argue the second method better illustrates the core concepts. The former is simply rote learning.

There is no defense for common core math. Shits stupid and needs to be done away with.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post

i cannot wait to pick my kid up from school early one day because she told the teacher this is fucking stupid. she will get a treat that day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raqubor View Post
    With small numbers like this... it's really pointless. It's more work writing it all down than just getting the answer in a fraction of that time.
    I mean... you can calculate addition and subtraction with 6 digit numbers in your head usually.
    whatever. just like constipation, i will work my math out with a pencil on paper.
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

School exams are only used to get into college, and if in a specific year they are equally difficult to everyone, where's the unfairness?

Quote Originally Posted by d00mGuArD View Post
    Thanks for the link It is indeed more up to date!
    Although I am not sure what "Programme for International Student Assessment " means
    Usually we call "international students" those that are from other countries, not the locals.
    It means it assesses students internationally? Seems to be a perfectly fine description for an organisation like that, even though I do have qualms about their tests and the annoying rammifications of them on the curriculum. In the past alot of the math that is now taught during the first 2-3 semesters in uni used to be taught during the end of regular school education, part of why that has been sacrificed was to please these ranking tests.. the other being that in our 3 tiered system it became fashionable to sue your kid into the highest tier, because everyone needs an education that prepares you for further academic education, even the front desk clerk in some bank.

As for the test: If they indeed asked things that were never thaught and they were not supposed to be taught then I could see people being pissed. Ironically, while this will hardly impact those that actually go into stem, the numerus clausus for other fields like medicine and law will mean that if your teacher didn't bet on these kind of questions being important, you might miss out on your future because of things that were completely out of your hand.

Japanese kids: "Hold my sake".

Quote Originally Posted by Illusions View Post
    I would like to see a more recent study, though. Those numbers are from 2000, the students taking those tests now are literally born around that year.

https://data.oecd.org/pisa/mathemati...mance-pisa.htm

Germany is pretty high up there, I'd say.
    maybe its mostly girls doing the complaining they do score alot lower then the boys it seems

but on a more serious note dragging the entire difficulty down so more people pass is not a good idea
    if its the same difficulty as before atleast, if they recently changed it then its another matter and may need to be reviewed

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if their ultimate goal is this:

Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post

Fuck, I clicked. Now my youtube-feed will be filled with right-wing, misogynistic crap by incel man-babies.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tankbug View Post
    Fuck, I clicked. Now my youtube-feed will be filled with right-wing, misogynistic crap by incel man-babies.
    Poor Sunshine, that adds you one more privilege point

As with all subjects, you just need to blow their minds until they have a freaking religious experience, have you tried having them count in pairs of boobs?

Poor Sunshine, that adds you one more privilege point
    Cool, as a straight, white male, im surfing through life on privilege, but can't hurt with a little more.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeymootwo View Post
    lol right. I looked at that and thought wtf is that shit!? This cannot be how they seriously teach subtraction now?
    same - must be a joke or troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Germans are simply not that good in Math

source: https://www.nationmaster.com/country...tical-literacy
    lol'd at 2000 data
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

My brain just figures shit out for me, being a savant is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    Depends on the math really... are they complaining about nonsensical math like the infamous common core questions example:

I don't really know enough about their situation to comment.
    This might be a little misleading - I did a search and the above seems to be intended for 2nd grade = 7-8 years old, and those have to count within 100.

The "old fashion" way is still better, no doubt, but it's probably still introduced, just a little later, that's all. Or maybe it's already there and the "new" way is just an alternative method if some 7-8 year old folk find it easier.

So...they want the government to dumb down tests? Didn't work so great for the US fyi.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

15+ Year Old Account
    I just took the c since i was going for linguistics and not math

What in Gods name did I just watch? Jesus the propaganda here is off the goddamned charts.

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the link It is indeed more up to date!
    Although I am not sure what "Programme for International Student Assessment " means
    Usually we call "international students" those that are from other countries, not the locals.
    It's international student assesment. Not international student assesment.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    That's a pretty silly comparison, I'd argue the second method better illustrates the core concepts. The former is simply rote learning.

- - - Updated - - -

You add enough to get to the nearest 5, then to the nearest 10, then add 10s until you get close to 32, then add what's left to get to 32.

It's not meant to be a practical way to subtract, rather it's a way to test that the children understand how to work with numbers rather than simply blindly following an algorithm. It's something that's difficult to do in schooling.
    How can you call that rote learning? Yes you have to remember how to do simple one digit suabstraction sometimes subtracting one digit from number between 10 to 19. This simplifies things and doesn't require so many steps. Also when you are doing division you've got to do the former anyway. It makes no sense to teach there me one and then the old one when teaching division.